Forrestburn Speed Hillclimb - Sunday 26th August

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Forrestburn Speed Hillclimb - Sunday 26th August

Postby kevham » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:38 pm

I realise you'll all be polishing and dusting at Callander on Sunday but whilst you're munching on burgers I'll be competing in my penultimate speed event of the season at Forrestburn, near M8 J5.

Yet again, I'll be no. 22 (I'm running out of the number 2!) out of around 80 cars and as usual, I'm the only MX-5 competing.

I don't expect to do very well because the class structure puts me in with two Caterhams, 2 Westfields a Fisher Fury and a Dax Rush. My only hope is to try and catch the Ginetta G27 (which I have in the past!) :shock:

However, I'm currently sitting second in class in the championship and there is only one other championship entrant in the event so if I get a timed run completed, I should get my 24 points :lol:

As usual, I'll post a full report on Monday. If standing on a windswept Lanarkshire hill watching a load of petrolheads drive up said hill is more your thing than polishing your bleed nipples with a toothbrush feel free to pop in and say hello. If I had a choice, the nipples would win every time :lol:
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:56 am

Where are my Bleed Nipples :oops: and can I use an electric toothbrush :lol:

Good Luck, Mate!

Tom.
Tom

Postby Robin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:41 am

All the very best on Sunday Kevin :wink:
Robin

Postby skinnydoug » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:26 pm

I'm hoping to make an appearance to spectate at Forrestburn on Sunday.

I'll try and take a few pictures.

:D

Douglas
Skinnydoug - "Enthusiastic amatuer"
skinnydoug

Postby Ronnie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:23 pm

I'll be rooting for you Kev

Ronnie
:D
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby skinnydoug » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Saw you at Forrestburn Kev, but I was feeling shy today so didn't say hello. :oops:

I took some pictures of you (and others) though! :D

Take a look at them:
http://www.paynehq.com/gallery/gallery2 ... temId=5139

Douglas
skinnydoug

Postby kevham » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:04 pm

SkinnyDoug - You should have come and said Hello! :lol: Funnily enough, I saw a tall skinny bloke with a camera and wondered if it was you - I guess it was :lol: The photos are great - looking at no.1477, I'll have to stiffen up the roll bar even more!!

I had a good day, helped by really nice weather.

I was quite intimidated when I walked the course and a regular told me to beware the first corner because it 'chucked' the car towards the rather substantial wall. :shock: I also noted a steep hill with a blind summit immediately followed by a right hander. Hmmm. :?

First practice was a bit of a slooowww mess. I mucked up the start, locked the brakes twice and nearly hit the wall. 64secs. Very poor.

Second practice felt much better. I got a nice clean start, kept the power on through the first corner but bottled it completely when it came to the blind summit. At the hairpin, the car got bogged down in second so I decided I'd try first next time. My time was slightly better at 62secs.

I was parked next to a guy in a Ginetta G27 who I managed to beat at Knockhill (I think). I reckoned he'd be my target for the day but he was already knocking on 60secs. I asked him about the car.
"It's got a 2.1 pinto with 150bhp at the rear wheels", he said.
"What does it weigh?" I asked.
"About 850kg - how does that compare to your car?" he said.
"140bhp at the flywheel and it weighs just over a tonne", I said, immediately feeling better about my times (especially since he was running Toyo R888s!).

First timed run came round and I felt a wee bit braver. I still lifted for the blind summit but I knocked it into first for the hairpin and immediately wished I had an LSD as the inner wheel just spun like mad. Heading to the finish line I saw the clock go to 58, then 59 then crossed the line. I just missed the magic 60secs posting 60.7secs. My mate in the Ginetta was on 60.4 - we were definitely aiming for sub-60secs.

Final run came and I got a reasonable start. I still lifted for the blind summit, but less this time. I got it nice a smooth through the 'esses' and down to first for the hairpin. Approaching the finish I could see 56, 57 then 58secs. Could I have done it?????? Yes, 58.96 secs. :lol:

Back to the paddock to see how Ginetta man had done. 59.04 secs :mrgreen: Ya Beauty !!! I avoid being last again :lol:

I'll definitely be back to Forrestburn. It's a course where local knowledge and practice will reap big benefits and its so close to me.

Final outing for 2007 will be at Kames on the 7th October.

kevham

Postby Robin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Good man! :D
Robin

Postby poing » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:17 pm

8)

Nice report as always and well done on beating the Ginetta, especially given his power/weight ratio advantage and the tyres he was on :shock:
poing

Postby skinnydoug » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:39 pm

Kev, have you raced at Forrestburn before?

The first corner was very dirty today. You can take the right hander pretty fast once you get used to not being able to see it.

I've had a few goes of the track at MSCC Fun Nights and I've marshalled once, but I've never been timed officially.

Maybe next season I'll get me a sprint/hillclimb license. :D

Only problem is, I don't fit in the car with a crash helmet on and the roof up:
http://www.paynehq.com/gallery/gallery2 ... temId=4796

Douglas
skinnydoug

Postby kevham » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 pm

skinnydoug wrote:Kev, have you raced at Forrestburn before?

The first corner was very dirty today. You can take the right hander pretty fast once you get used to not being able to see it.

I'd never driven there before yesterday. The start area and first corner were quite slippy - more so than I expected. I'm sure I'll be able to do the blind right hander flat out when I've had enough runs. :shock:

skinnydoug wrote:Maybe next season I'll get me a sprint/hillclimb license. :D

It would be great to have some directly comparable competition. I noticed there was a guy ran an MX-5 last year and did 57-58 secs so that reassured me that I'm not too far off.

skinnydoug wrote:Only problem is, I don't fit in the car with a crash helmet on and the roof up:
http://www.paynehq.com/gallery/gallery2 ... temId=4796

Why not run with the hood down then! :D

kevham

Return to Motorsport