Kames Sprint - Sunday 15 July

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Kames Sprint - Sunday 15 July

Postby kevham » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:03 pm

Its time for another sprint on Sunday. This time, I'm back at Kames for round 5 of the Adrian Hemingway Northern Speed Championship.

I'm hoping to get some decent times nearer 100secs and maintain my third in class position (who am I trying to kid???). My main competition (Andy in the Astra) will be there so as long as I beat him I'll be happy.

Not sure what time it kicks off but the timed runs should start after lunch and the whole thing will be finished by 4pm. If you happen to be in the area and not up at Polished Bliss (I'd recommend you go there to be honest! :lol: ), pop in and see me.

Of course, I'll post a full report on my exploits sometime next week for those who are interested.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Skarecrow29 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:40 pm

Good luck Kev, I would have popped down but I have to got to Greece for a week (It's a hard life....). Look forward to your report when I get back.

Cheers

Scott
Skarecrow29

Postby Si » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:47 pm

Good luck Kev!! If it's nice weather I might pop down again.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby lowflyer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:55 am

Best of luck Kevin
lowflyer

Postby Si » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:58 pm

Eagerly awaiting your report :D

Hope you managed to see off your nemesis!!

Si
Si

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 am

Aaargh! Wish I'd read this earlier. I was in Strathaven today and could have nipped over to Kames via that fantastic road. Really must pay more attention....Hope it went well.
Hawkeye

Postby kevham » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 pm

Another day, another sprint in the bag.

There was a fairly small entry of just 36 and whilst there were 6 entrants in my class, one was a no-show and my nemesis in the Astra hadn't even entered!

So, it was me against the big boys! :shock:

The weather started great - blue sky and fairly mild. First practice kicked off at 10am and I was in the first batch as car number 4. I took it nice and easy to get warmed up and posted 107.38secs - pretty good compared to my last outing at Kames. I decided the car was a wee bit twitchy so I took some air out of the tyres in the hope of getting a bit more heat in them.

Second practice run came up very quickly (because of the low number of entrants). I gave it some welly round the first corner and was on a flyer. Discovered that I was hitting the rev limiter just beyond the corner approaching the hairpin so I knew I had to think a bit about the gears for my next run. I got back to the paddock and discovered I had posted a new personal best time of 104.12 secs - around 1.5 secs faster than my last outing. I was super duper chuffed. :lol: 8)

I was so pleased with my run that I ran about telling every Tom, dick and harry (well, only Tom who had arrived to watch) about how I was the fastest MX-5 ever at Kames. :oops: Pride comes before a fall, they say. They are right!...........

My next run was my first proper competitive run. That is, it actually counts (remember this - its important). I was convinced I could get under 104 secs and I knew where to do it - on the right/left combination before the hairpin. I knew that if I could get third gear through this combo, and maintain the momentum, I'd be flying towards the hairpin.

Anyway, all went to plan from the start - the lights went green and I got a nice clean getaway with just the right amount of wheelspin. Up to second and flat on the floor through the first corner - all good. Up to third on the straight and a dab on the brakes before turning in for the off-camber right hander. The car squirmed a bit but I was still on the black stuff. Flat out now round the left-hander and I'm rapidly approaching the hairpin. Boy, was I flying or what. On the brakes.............. what's that smoke?........why's the car not turning?......... why's that marshall laughing?............ thump..........I'm not on the track anymore..........at least I've stopped.

I had left my braking a wee bit late, locked up and slid straight over the hairpin on to the extended track. :oops: I limped back to the paddock, head held in shame. I should point out at this stage that this was the first time in 7 years of track driving that I have ever left the black stuff. It had a profound effect on my confidence.......

I had the whole lunchtime to ponder my error and came out after lunch a bit wary. By this time, my fan club (as one of my fellow competitors called you) had arrived and doubled the crowd - thanks guys :lol:
I managed to post a run of 106.01secs - not far off my times from April.

Then the heavens opened and with the rains, my chances of an award were washed away down the drains of despair. You see, my new Nemesis - Paul in the Peugeot - had posted 104.51secs on his first timed run. I knew I wouldn't be able to match that on a wet track. Best I could do was 107.89secs. First in my class went to the 190bhp Rover 200 (a real sleeper car BTW), with 98.28secs.

So, I came third. :lol: Which was also last of the people who actually got timed runs. :? But I had the consolation of knowing I could have been second :roll: and I've set a new personal best (albeit in practice).

I'm sorry that the folk who made the effort to come and watch spent most of their time in the 'canteen' avoiding the weather and I'm sorry I couldn't win an award for you all. But thanks for coming and I promise, I'll do better next time..........

Next sprint is at Three Sister near Wigan on 5 August. Before that, I get to practice my braking at a Llandow trackday on 28 July.

kevham

Postby Hotch » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:33 pm

As usual Kev, your descriptions of your track experiences are fantastic. I found that I was reading without breathing for some reason, :shock: so by the time you'd finished, it was me that was short of breath :? :o
Hotch

Postby don.b » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 pm

Kevin,

Sorry kev, I posted some pics here and then realised they were showing your number plate.

I blurred the plate on the pics, loaded them onto photobucket. When the pics are viewed on photobucket the plates are blurred, when I load them on here as if by magic the plates are no longer blurred.... I'll try again tomorrow

Don
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby inddigo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:09 am

Well done Kev, another great report........

Cheers,

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby DouglasH » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:43 pm

I have some pictures to post but will wait until Don uploads his.
DouglasH

Postby don.b » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:40 pm

DouglasH wrote:I have some pictures to post but will wait until Don uploads his.

Douglas,

Its not working at this end, blurred plate on photobucket, clear as a bell when the url is loaded on the site. Wierdest thing I've ever seen.

So, I'm afraid my pics won't be getting loaded.

Don.
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby DouglasH » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:55 pm

Don...I have had this with Photobucket before and the other one when you resize your picture, copy the link to our site and its still full size...answer is to refresh, refresh, refresh, that usually solves it.
Not sure if Kev is too bothered about his number plate being shown.
DouglasH

Postby Si » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Another great report Kev :)

Still enjoying it all???

Si
Si

Postby DouglasH » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 pm

Some pics from Sunday, if the Number Plate is an issue let me know and I will remove that Picture.

Kev's Car

The Competition

Hot Stuff

Dad's Greatest Fan

Home Time
DouglasH

Postby kevham » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Great pics Douglas, thanks. Dont worry about the plate.

Si - I'm really enjoying the speed events - the buzz as you sit on the startline is fantastic and trying to beat your times is quite addictive, if very frustrating at times. Only downside is the cost which is becoming a wee bit prohibitive - however, I've got a new tent and will be camping at my next event to keep costs down! :shock:

When are you all going to start having a go??????? :P

kevham

Postby Skarecrow29 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Weel done Kev, Remember the only way to find the limit is to exceed it. Better luck next time.

Cheers
Skarecrow29

Postby Si » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:02 pm

kevham wrote:When are you all going to start having a go??????? :P

Once finances are a bit better :lol:

I miss the buzz you get on the start line, and the exhileration you get going round the track, but I've only really had that to the extreme when doing track sessions at Knockhill (i.e. with other cars). I think go-karting might be more suitable for my adrenalin rush requirements :D

Si
Si

Postby MichaelG » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:24 pm

Si wrote:
kevham wrote:I think go-karting might be more suitable for my adrenalin rush requirements :D

Get a motorbike mate :lol: :lol:

Ive been driving my mates bike around the last couple of days, pretty fun but pretty nerve-racking at times :lol: :D

Well done kev, getting better with time :)
MichaelG

Postby kevham » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:16 pm

MichaelG wrote:
Si wrote:
kevham wrote:I think go-karting might be more suitable for my adrenalin rush requirements :D

Get a motorbike mate :lol: :lol:

Ive been driving my mates bike around the last couple of days, pretty fun but pretty nerve-racking at times :lol: :D

Well done kev, getting better with time :)

Cheers, Mike.

Si - don't get a bike! There's a difference between a 'buzz' and something which is inherently risky which on-road motorcycle riding definitely is! One motorcyclist killed per week in Scotland on average. Check out how many ex-bikers now have sports cars! :?

Mike - when did you do your CBT ????

kevham

Next

Return to Motorsport