Glen Lyon?

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Glen Lyon?

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:14 am

Having really enjoyed a drive up to Stirling across to Balloch through Glasgow on the M8 then back to the east coast last Sunday.

I was planning to take another road trip, this weekend, up to Glen Lyon, however I've just seen the weather report on BBC1, looks like the weekend is going to be cold and Glen Lyon will probably have sleet or snow.

Therefore, can anyone give me details, personal experiances, of the road from Bridge of Balgie to the A827 between Kiltyrie and Morenish?
Meriadoc

Postby boydie » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:10 pm

Hi, I've been up this road many times when hillwalking,it is single lane with passing places ALL the way. I would not like to drive up there if snow is on the road! Be very careful if rejoining the A827 between Morenish & kiltyrie as the junction is totally blind
boydie

Postby Richardn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:29 pm

Although Glen Lyon is very scenic, it is not really a "Good Driving" Road. it is better in a 4x4 as you see furter ahead as it is very narrow single track. You would be lucky if you get past 2nd gear
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info Boydie. I think I'll save Glen Lyon for later in the year. From what've read it sounds like a good place for a drive. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glenlyon/glenlyon/

Also tempted to attempt the Bealach na Ba.
Meriadoc

Postby Richardn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:14 pm

Slightly misleading that page as Fortingall is not really Glen Lyon. I came through there today.

As it says "adventerous" could well describe the single track. We used the single track of Glen Lyon a couple of years ago
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Scottish Drives