In Car Entertainment.

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

In Car Entertainment.

Postby steveti » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:00 pm

Hi all and a happy new year,

Does anyone know if anything can be done to upgrade Mazda's standard fit modular CD/Radio unit. I read somewhere that the amplifier is a separate unit, if so can it be upgraded. Also can anyone recommend upgraded replacement speakers for the standard windblocker - the standard units are next to useless - and how do they come out.

Car is a 2004 mk2.5 1.8.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
steveti

Postby Si » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:47 pm

Not sure how likely you are to get an answer to that question here, so if you want a larger audience you could try the main forum for the UK MX-5 Owners Club :

http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk

HTH,
Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby boydie » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:22 am

Hello Steve, I have a 2002 mk2.5 and have a kenwood stereo fitted. It is just a case of taking out the double din modular unit and fitting the new din size stereo. You will also need an adapter lead to fit the mazda loom which is available from halfords (same fitment as the 323). you will also need a din sized pocket to fill the gap that the single din stereo leaves, also available from halfords. The amp is part of the modular stereo or was with mine anyway. It is a very easy job so don't be put off mate. hope this helps.
boydie

Postby steveti » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:53 pm

I am now biting the bullet and am going ahead with my upgrade of the OEM system. Speakers are on their way, pioneer TS A2010, these should be a big improvement on standard.

I am also considering a pioneer DEH P77MP head unit based on some healthy reviews I have read. Trouble is I don't know how to remove the existing double din Mazda unit. Boydie, you have replaced your unit on the mk2.5, did you self fit, if so can you give some detail on removing the OEM double din unit?

2004 1.8i mk2.5

Any and all help gratefully accepted.

Steve.
steveti

Postby boydie » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:55 pm

Hi steve, if you have the audio book that came with the owners manuel it tells you how to remove it. If I remember right there are two plastic covers on the side of the units face, these just pull off and reveal the holes for the removal tools. Just plug in the tools and the unit pulls out. If you don't have the manuel just PM me with your email address and I will try to scan in the diagrams and send them to you. The tools I used are U shaped removers from halfords which cost very little (think 4 are needed).hope this helps you out steve.
boydie

Postby DouglasH » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:09 pm

DouglasH

Return to ICE and Music