Dodgy sound

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Dodgy sound

Postby Detritus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:00 am

Hope someone can help.

When I bought the 5 the headrest speakers didn't work, so when I had a new cd player fitted I made sure they connected them up.

Worked perfectly for a few weeks but now when I turn the ignition on and off the headrest speakers buzz (like when you turn on your stereo with the volume up full only much louder) and the screen on the player shows the word FAILURE. (I don't think it means me).

I took it back to Halfords (don't laugh they were cheap) but they say that they'll have to send the player back to the manufacturer and I can't live without me Led Zep.

Any ideas?
Detritus

Postby malcolm » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:29 am

Demand a replacement or your money back.
malcolm

Postby Robin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:36 am

Rick, presuming you have rechecked all the under seat & unit connections, if the "few weeks" is more than 4, they will probably be entitled to offer repair 1st. Or, you could inform them that unless they offer a new one(not fit for purpose bla), they may find themselves "Climbing the Stairway to Heaven" :oops:
Robin

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:30 am

I believe the wiring for the headrest speakers in many cars was wrong from the factory. If Halfords just reconnected the speakers to existing wiring, that may be a contributory factor?
Enjay

Postby MichaelG » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:49 pm

First off.....Never eeeeever get Halfrauds to fit anything. They dont even get any training on how to fit the equipment all they do is read a manual.

If the Headunit is reading Failure then it has nothing to do with the speakers. Does this message only appear when trying to play a cd or also on the radio? If both then I would get it replaced.

Mike
MichaelG

Postby BillB » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Hey Ho, the continual sniping at Halfords by members of this club is getting just a tad tiresome. I have had many electrical items fitted to my cars by people in the Inverness branch of Halfords and have found them to be very efficient. I even went to them when the Mazda fitted radio unit in my Xedos went on the blink, Mazda could not fix it and recommended I should buy an expensive replacement unit, the guy at Halfords in Inverness fixed the radio unit in minutes free of charge.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Halfords fitted a new CD to my daughters Ford Ka, including a replacement dash panel because of the curvy design, and they made a great job - seemed knowledgable too, showing me how they would improve the fixing of the non-Ford replacement dash panel which sometimes pops out.

East Kilbride branch, and no complaints here!

ALEX.
Alex

Postby Detritus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:59 pm

BillB wrote:Hey Ho, the continual sniping at Halfords by members of this club is getting just a tad tiresome..

This post was not placed to complain about Halfords. :? Although I'm not happy that they won't replace the unit they are within their rights. Mind you for service sake I would have thought they could replace it since I only missed the deadline by a few days. :roll:

I need to fix the problem andwas hoping someone could help is all.
Detritus

Postby malcolm » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:17 pm

I agree ricky, Bills only moaning cause he's got to use a tank of petrol to get to his nearest Halfords.

Aint that right auld yin.
malcolm

Postby poing » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:28 pm

Have to say I've also had a good service from the Inverness branch in the past. I also know a few people who are well into their car stereo's and say great things about that branch, even traveling there instead of the closer Aberdeen ones.

Would it maybe be worth a trip through there Rick ??

As long as you have the receipt it doesn't matter which branch you take it to. The Inverness branch has a proper workshop for a start. :)

Although in the main Halfords are pants, not a bashing, just a fact. I could list the various problems I've had with them in the past but space is limited :lol:
poing

Postby BillB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:38 am

malcolm wrote:I agree ricky, Bills only moaning cause he's got to use a tank of petrol to get to his nearest Halfords.

Aint that right auld yin.

Nope!! My 'moan' was in response to the 'First off.....Never eeeeever get Halfrauds to fit anything. They dont even get any training on how to fit the equipment all they do is read a manual. '
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Return to ICE and Music