Kames Sprint Sun 15 April

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:10 pm

Well Done Kev :!:

Now I know who to put my money on at the karting day :lol:

I'll sort out pics/movies and stick them on a disc for you too.
Tom

Postby DouglasH » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:14 pm

Yes an enjoyable day watching Kev, well done that man. Lap times improving constantly. :D
DouglasH

Postby kevham » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks to the guys for coming out to see me - it really is appreciated.

Today was my second ever sprint event and went better than my first in that I improved my time on each run.

I arrived at Kames around 8.30am after a brisk run down the A71 to Strathaven then over the hill to Muirkirk (great road!). I love the fact that I can drive to the events, compete and then drive home again - none of this trailer malarky for me :shock:

I walked the course in the company of an experienced sprinter who gave me no clues whatsoever. Some folk are SO competitive :lol: Anyway, Kames is very narrow. I mean VERY narrow. It's a bit like a single track country road on Skye - with nothing coming the other way :lol:

After the drivers briefing it was time for a quick cuppa and who should arrive but John (lowflyer) just in time to help me get ready for my first practice run. I have no idea how the run went - it just flew past but unfortunately there was a glitch with the timing gear so I got a re-run. This saw me going out in between two of the fastest cars at the meeting! Anyway, I posted around 109 secs.

After a few words of wisdom from Si, I set out for my second run determined to do better. I had noticed on my first run that the car in front of me spun his tyres on the approach to the start to get some heat in. I thought I'd give that a go too! So I rev to 4000 rpm and dump the clutch - no smoke, no wheelspin - just lurch forward to the mild amusement of the marshal. The second run felt smoother but I was still struggling to decide on gears for the first bend - third seemed to carry more speed though the bend but I struggled for grunt on the slight uphill exit. I decide second gear is best. I post 107 point something on my second practice.

Then its lunchtime. As we sit chewing the sandwiches, it becomes clear in discussion that I'm not taking this sport seriously enough because I haven't removed my ariel, windblocker or radio and I filled the tank with petrol. All of these are adding serious weight to my machine and costing me precious seconds :?

After lunch, some more of the guys turn up just in time to see my first timed run of 105.8 secs. I'm well chuffed with this because it's another good improvement and it's getting near the 104 second target for an MX-5 suggested by Kames veteran, Dave Scott.

By this time, John has reset all my tyre pressures using his super accurate digital thingy bob and I'm ready to take on the Westfields. :?

I get a good start and run reasonably well up to the hairpin where I completely outbrake myself and lose a lot of speed. Even so, I managed to post 105.6 secs, my fastest time of the day.

My nearest competitors didn't manage to improve on their practice times and so, for the first time, I wasn't quite last :lol:

Thanks again to John for 'adjusting' my tyre pressures and polishing off the mucky marshall's fingerprints. At least you got in for free!

Next outing Knockhill, Saturday 19th May...............
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby DouglasH » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:14 am

A few more pics...

The Starting Line

The Finishing Line

Back in the Pits

Friendly Chat with the Competition

How Did I Get Here and Who Put the Tyre Under My Car

Excuse Me Sir Does This Belong To You
DouglasH

Postby BillB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:41 pm

Kev, are you taking part in any of the sprint events in Golspie this year? There are normally about 4 of them, I have seen the Westfield in the photos racing there.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:47 pm

Looking at the track I think Golspie is much wider, I must have a word with the North of Scotland Kart club and find out dates for the events here, also try to find out lap times for the different cars that run the sprints.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Si » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:02 pm

I've put together a short 5 minute video of the day, mainly showcasing Kev's efforts.

It's 38Mb in size ..................... Please right click on the link and save to your computer rather than attempting to stream it.

http://www.simon-fraser.com/movies/Kames_Edit.wmv

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby kevham » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Bill,
I had no plans to do Golspie until a chat with one of the guys yesterday who said I would really enjoy it.

The dates I'm aware of are: 2nd and 3rd June which I definitely won't be at and 8 Sep which is a possibility but nothing confirmed yet.

The event at Kames yesterday was the first round of the Scottish Sprint Championship - full details at http://www.scottish-sprinting.co.uk/events.html

Cheers,
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby jo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:15 pm

Excellent report again Kevham, would have liked to come and see you but was at the dyno day in Aberdeen 386 mile round trip for me and was absolutely shattered.
When is your next sprint as I would like to come an support.
jo

Postby PaulDS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Nice filming Si,

That was a narrow track :shock:

Major concentration needed ?
PaulDS

Postby poing » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:08 pm

Great write-up and pics and video. Nice to hear the cars as well as see them for a change. That is a scary track in a really fast car, no room for error. Well done Kev :D
poing

Postby Robin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Exlax worked Kevin? Excellent ambassador for both Club & the marque. Well done.
Robin

Previous

Return to Motorsport