Hype Odd

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Hype Odd

Postby Detritus » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:35 pm

Can somebody please help, I'm not very good with these new fangled technologies. :oops:

My wife has a ministry of sound car stereo with a USB port. I naturally assumed that this meant I could plug her i-pod into it and play music through the stereo. :P

However each time we plug in the i-pod it just shows 'Do not disconnect' on the i-pod screen and wont work. :(

The stereo recognises that something has been plugged in to the USB. :?

Am I doing something wrong, or does the USB on the stereo have a different function. :?
Detritus

Postby filgreen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:00 pm

I use iPod in my Jeep and you need a special Ipod adapter, or as in my son's case an iPod ready radio and lead/adapter.

Think you'll find that you can plug in a portable usb memory (databar or memory stick type) with mp3 files on. Then you should be able to play the music from that.
Shiny Red has been replaced by:

filgreen

Postby poing » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:17 am

Yep I'm affraid I think you need an I-pod port. If it doesn't have one of those then an AUX port will work. All an AUX does is take the sound direct from the headphone socket so it will work with any mp3 player. Not sure if you head unit has an AUX socket, it'll be on the front and obvious if it has.

As for the USB socket, that depends how it's set on the unit. Some will charge players from it and some (not many) players will play through it. I think it's mainly useful for plugging in a pen drive/zip drive whatever you call them. You can get them pretty cheap now but that doesn't help with you I-pod I'm affraid :roll:

Stick up the model number of the stereo and I'll have a look at the specs.
poing

Return to ICE and Music