Cubby

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Cubby

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:40 pm

It might be a daft question, but I think some one has replaced the cubby in my car upside down, (the angled part is at the top). I've tried to get it out but it doesn't seem to want to move and I don't want to force it incase it breaks. Does any one know where the clips are to remove it? Any help would be great.
Detritus

Postby poing » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:53 pm

I'd come in by for a look but I would be non the wiser due to mine not having one :lol: I think it's time to get the cam out for a photo, or wait for Malky to trundle by with the bus, his passengers won't mind :wink:
poing

Postby lochpark » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Some of these cubbies screw or fix on from the rear of the facia and you may have to remove the facia with the cubby attached in order to get it out.

Your avatar looks like a MK1, so remove the screws in the armrest cubby, under the ashtray, one at either side of the centre console where it attaches to the dash. Remove gear knob and then you may have to remove the radio at this point, depends how it fixes and what type of front trim is on it.

As the console lifts up, disconnect the ash tray lamp, power window switched etc.

Then remove the eyeballs, one screw behind each, finally may be one holding the bottom of the facia at the right hand side (I think) facia should come out, carefully as they do break if you force it.

Putting it back is the reverse, just remember to reconnect the headlamp sevice / hazzard switch (oops sorry John / Tom, couldn't resist that :D :D :D )

Have fun
Last edited by lochpark on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lochpark

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 pm

poing wrote:I'd come in by for a look but I would be non the wiser due to mine not having one :lol: I think it's time to get the cam out for a photo, or wait for Malky to trundle by with the bus, his passengers won't mind :wink:

Cor when I first read that I thought you meant the cam shaft. Had to do a quick double take! Bit excessive I thought. lol.

Maybe one of the kids on Malcolms bus would know how it works. Kids always seem to be able to work anything else I don't understand.
Detritus

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:45 pm

lochpark wrote:Some of these cubbies screw or fix on from the rear of the facia and you may have to remove the facia with the cubby attached in order to get it out.

This presents another problem. How do I get the facia out? I'll have to take a look in the daylight.
Detritus

Postby Enjay » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:20 pm

A quick sketch I did some time back of how the cubby is attached.

Oh, and a video I took of me removing an eyeball vent with a pair of pliers and a hooked piece of metal (actually, I think it was an allen key). It's a bit wobbly because I was holding the camera with one hand and pulling the vent with the other.

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/mx5/ventout.wmv

Removing the fascia is pretty easy, just follow lochpark's instructions.
Enjay

Postby Detritus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Thanx guys. I'll try to get on it this weekend.
Detritus

Removing the eyeball vents.

Postby WJamie » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:14 am

Hi

Removing the eyeball vents can be extremely difficult and you can end up damaging them. One way which is quick and easy is to use pipe cleaners.

Take two pipe cleaners twist them around each other. Bend one end to look like a fish hook. Push through and twist. When you pull back you will have fed the pipe cleaners through and back. You can then grab both ends. I use a pair of pliers to grab both ends and tug. You have to pull hard and it comes out with a loud bang.

I used this on my MK1 on two occasions and it worked very well for me.

Cheers
MK3.0 2.0i Option Pack & MK 1 1.6 1995
Previously ownedMk 1 1.6 Roadster V Special 1990
Previously Owned MK 2.5 1.8 2002
WJamie

Postby lowflyer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:36 am

eye ball removal as peformed by Tom the plug master - take one very long and thick cable tie and bend in middle so that it acts like a hook, push in thru eyeball so that it passes thru and back out front of vent - now using pliers grab both ends of tiewrap and pull evenly, takes a lot of umph but it will come out - btw - there are 7 screws in consul 2 in armrest box, 1 under ashtray, 2 at side/front and a further 2 behind eyeball vents
lowflyer

Postby Richardn » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:42 am

tent peg and grips worked for me at the tech day!
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to ICE and Music