Dalwhinne (near Newtonmore) to Kyle of Lochalsh, and Skye

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Dalwhinne (near Newtonmore) to Kyle of Lochalsh, and Skye

Postby Colin » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:34 pm

Hi

This route is probably a given, but having just come back from a 3 day trip along the route and over the bridge to Skye (speed bonnie car), I can confirm that it is quite simply breathtaking. We travelled there in the sun and back in the cloudy drizzle, but both provided opentop motoring at its very best.

Suggest lunch at the cafe/restaurant in Dalwhinnie and a stop at Eilean Donnan castle, plus a detour into Plockton and you've got one heck of a day's driving, and that's without mentioning the Skye Bridge and road to Elgol!

Fantastic drive for the driver and you pass lots of film sets from Hamish MacBeth and Monarch of the Glen, so everyone's happy.
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Dalwhinnie to Laggan

Postby dickybeau » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:43 pm

Got a feeling that this is the road which features as one of the most dangerous stretches of road in Scotland in these annual announcements. Something to do with blind summits and nasty bends. Cycled it from Dalwhinnie many a time but never driven it. Lovely road nevertheless. Pity to start out and not finish though. Take care.
dickybeau

Re: Dalwhinnie to Laggan

Postby murwilson » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:35 am

dickybeau wrote:the road which features as one of the most dangerous stretches of road in Scotland.

"There is no such thing as a bad road, only bad drivers."

A wee quote I remember from my driving instructor all those years ago and I'm begining to see what he meant :)

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Dalwhinnie - Lochcarron via Kyle of Lochalsh

Postby Pat and Roy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:45 am

Greetings

Just back from a weeks hol in Lochcarron with my new (to me) MX5. Fantastic drive and went topless there and back mainly in the sunshine! 8)
Water was so clear this morning we saw 2 Eilean Donans (definitely nothing to do with the wine consumed last night) :wink:

Don't know why the Dalwhinnie road is said to be the most dangerous stretch in Scotland unless you're driving too fast.

Pat and Roy
MK2.5 Phoenix
Pat and Roy

Postby DouglasH » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:23 am

Welcome aboard Pat & Roy, have to agree this is an excellent road and one that earlier this year 15 cars from Central & North regions also enjoyed.

In a recent national survey conducted by the 1086 members of the Caterham 7 car club, the A97 from Invergarry to Skye was voted the best road in Britain, it was described as having stunning scenery, challenging twists and turns, and almost traffic free motoring. It has to be pointed out however, the criteria the Caterham club used to define this road best in Britain, although something we can relate to, may be somewhat different to that of the family car owner whose children are suffering from car sickness due to the same twists and bends.

The Pass of Llanberis in Snowdonia was voted second and the A8000 from the M9 to the Forth Bridge one of the worst.
DouglasH

Postby graeme » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:22 am

A8000? ONE of the worst? Blimey, what else ranks with that? It's the most embarrassing road in Scotland IMHO.[/b]
graeme

Postby DouglasH » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:41 pm

A8000 was in good company as nestling at the very bottom was the M25 junction 5 to 21.
DouglasH

Postby don.b » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:33 pm

Hi Douglas,

What was 2nd from the bottom?.....it must be the "wonderful" A80 between Muirhead and Cumbernauld. One of the worst roads in the world in my book. Its a pity the planning department at the local council ( I won't name them.....OK it's North Lanarkshire Council :idea: ) don't ever use it, if they did they might get a move on and upgrade it, along with the town centre !

Don.
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Re: Dalwhinne (near Newtonmore) to Kyle of Lochalsh, and Sky

Postby todd » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:57 pm

Colin wrote:Suggest lunch at the cafe/restaurant in Dalwhinnie and a stop at Eilean Donnan castle, plus a detour into Plockton and you've got one heck of a day's driving, and that's without mentioning the Skye Bridge and road to Elgol! Fantastic drive for the driver and you pass lots of film sets from Hamish MacBeth and Monarch of the Glen, so everyone's happy.

Many moons ago when I was but a young lad I used to work in that Cafe :oops: living in Dalwhinnie was possibly the worst place in the world to be but the roads round about more than made up for the other short comings.
todd

Return to Scottish Drives