Another Newbie - Glasgow

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Another Newbie - Glasgow

Postby derek68 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:28 pm

Just thought I'd say hello! :D

Just got my first 5 - 1991 mk1 - well looked after and gorgeous. (thanks Mike!)

She drives beautifully ... but I'm aware that this might not always be the case ... Anyone know of a good garage in Glasgow to take her to when needs must? I know of the dealership on Clarence Drive ... but I'd rather go to a garage that has some genuine love for these cars, rather than a place that is principally interested in selling them!

Thanks

del
derek68

Postby ninja » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:52 pm

will be interesting to see if you get any luck

i'm currenlty using taggarts and what a fine bunch of muppets they are!

i've used the one on clarence drive too - not really much better to be honest.

ninja :evil:
ninja

Postby mike9jr » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:53 pm

Dude,

I'm welling up here....... :cry:

Just getting to know JJ, the new boy now though. So far, so good.
By the way, don't buy a grille (unless you want a different one!), the two spots on JJ take up too much room so the grille is yours if you want it.
Come up for a run one fine day!! :D

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby DouglasH » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:25 pm

Del..welcome you got yourself a good un there, I saw Mike's (old) car when I was up north for the Kildrummy Run. Don't know what side of the river your on, but I can recommend a garage on the south side that I have been using for six or seven years..Netherleepark Autos, Clarkston road, Merrylee (across from the old Linn Volvo, now flats :roll: ) first class service. There is also another garage in Bishopton, highly rated by one of our forum members.
DouglasH

Postby DouglasH » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 pm

Mike..what you got now then, any pics yet.
DouglasH

Postby Fee » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:42 pm

Graeme, what's the garage in Bishopton and do you have their number? Mine is due a service and Bishy is handy for me.

Fi
Mk3 2 litre Sport Brilliant Black
Mk 2.5 Crystal Blue - Gone But Not Forgotten
OC 12837
Fee

Postby DouglasH » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:26 am

Fiona..I'm Douglas (you been drinking tonight :lol: )

found the details, posted by John Paul.....

If you drive through Bishopton its the last garage on the right as you head towards Greenock.(it usually has a rally car in the forecourt)
Bishopton Garage Tel No 01505862441.
The mechanic is called gary, a sound guy and i find him very knowledgeable about MX5's.
I'm booking mine in next week for some work (and i dont just let anyone touch my baby

Fiona..do you know anything about a little garage situated halfway up the hill on the right hand side from Port Glasgow Newark heading up to Port Glasgow Harelaw, Dubbs rd I think its called, used to have a giant Grey Plastic Rhino, (originally from Dumfries) sat on the roof, (opens the floodgates.. :roll: no I've not been drinking :( ) although not seen it lately , must of escaped :lol: there's always a Mk1 sitting outside it...just wondered.
DouglasH

Postby mike9jr » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:55 am

Douglas,
Went out and addopted a BRG V-spec, not perfect but thats ok, I'll enjoy sorting things out. I miss the wee red one but I'm slowly getting to know 'JJ'.
Went to Macks yesterday, he checked everything out and together we did a couple of little jobs. Forgot about the flash to pass but I'll address that later. It goes well and sounds great without the cat.
Got 4 sexy T1-R's on a set of 16" BBS alloys, sticks to the road like glue!
Happy so far. A few pickies, I'll see if Si is willing to put a couple on the forum for me.
Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby Phil » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:22 am

That biiiiig grey Rhino is still on the roof. :shock:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Fee » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:20 pm

Sorry Douglas, don't know what I was thinking :oops: - put it down to a mixture of drugs (prescribed!) and alcohol!!! Please forgive me.

Thanks for the info on Bishopton garage.

As for Port Glasgow, I am sure there is a garage on Clune Brae which has a big rhino on the roof, don't ever remember seeing a MK1 but I probably haven't been up that way since getting my 5 so would not have noticed.

When I am out and about again in the car (hopefully a couple of weeks, this is week 4 already :shock: ) I will take a run up and let you know what's there.

Fi
Mk3 2 litre Sport Brilliant Black
Mk 2.5 Crystal Blue - Gone But Not Forgotten
OC 12837
Fee

Postby derek68 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Thanks guys -

(Mike 'specially! :D Hope JJ's keepin' well! ... re: grille I'll have to check my ebay ... I've got a bid in on an S/S lockwood grille ... but will give you a call if I'm outbid in the next couple of days.)

Think I'll have a wee look over at the garage on the southside ... thanks Douglas.

Had the timing belt changed at the local one, (Clarence Dr.) ... and from their response to some questions just got the feeling they were competent but couldn't really care less!

Oh & Mike - you were right btw ... life is not going to be the same. Clair is already complaining that I'm spending too much time with the car ... and she doesn't even know about the stuff I've been looking to buy for her ... (the car that is!)

del
derek68

Postby mike9jr » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:31 pm

I told you. Once the bug bites............

:D :D :D :D
mike9jr
OC Member

Good Garage

Postby dixie » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:54 pm

If you live in west end of glasgow go to my local garage M&B motors in Old Kilpatrick it is only about 8 miles .Local village garage brilliant mechanic owner ,great with MX5 and no silly prices.I cannot recomend it highly enough
dixie

Return to General Chat