Sat Nav

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Sat Nav

Postby The Pram » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:38 pm

I have been think about a sat nav thing for a while and got chatting to a chap today about them. He fits them for a living. Anyway, what I wondered was, do any of you that have one that plugs into the cig lighter find that it gets in the way when driving. We had the phone charging in the lighter socket the other day and it got to be annoying. Now it could have been the actual charger but I wondered if others found having something plugged into the socket (MK2.5) got in the way for gear changing etc. This is the only thing putting me off getting a sat nav gizmo.
thanks
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby Richardn » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 pm

It is not hard to run another live so not using the cig lighter.

Last resort :wink: Halfords will install it like that
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby The Pram » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:53 pm

I had thought about that but we have had a spate of thefts from cars of sat nav things round my way and I want to be able to take it out of the car. Are they still removable if hard wired?

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby boydie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:09 pm

I've just recently bought a tomtom710 to replace my old navman610.
Its a much better system than the navman and has an internal battery that lasts for just over 2 hours, aswell as having the cig lighter cable.
When I was using the navman it had to be connected to the cig lighter to work and the wire wasn't any trouble as it was one of those springy coiled wires. The tomtom has a straight wire so this could be a problem.
I ended up moving my cig lighter socket into the back of my glove box so the wire won't be a prob for me, and fitted the honda S2000 start button in the lighter position .
boydie

Postby Enjay » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 pm

The Pram wrote:Are they still removable if hard wired?

Even if not by default, it wouldn't be too difficult to fit a disconnectable plug/socket of some sort into the line somewhere if you need the ability to remove it from the car.
Enjay

Postby The Pram » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Just thought of a problem. It would be handy to have it not hard wired so we could use it in the other car too. Might have to look into this is more detail. I think the problem might be the actual fitting more than the cable, if you know what I mean. I would like a non-bulky bit that fits in the light socket.

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby malcolm » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:30 pm

Try fitting another cigarette lighter into the passenger side.
malcolm

Postby The Pram » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:43 am

I would Malcolm but I would rather keep the inside of the car "as is" if you know what I mean. Did you use the one you were selling in the 5 or not? If so how did you find it?

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby DouglasH » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:19 am

Lorraine...I have the Tom-Tom 500, the cigar plug/adapter is quite tight at the gear stick, however because of its shape I find if turned a certain way its not an issue, I also bought a second fitting kit for the other car.
DouglasH

Postby Richardn » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:49 am

You can get sockets with a lead on, get that hard wired in and mount the box with the 2 sockets in at the side in the footwell, with double sided trim tape :D
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Gordon » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:50 pm

I have a 4-1 lighter adaptor with a long cable on it that I run over to the passenger side, then it can be stuck on with double sided tape or just wedged down the side of the passenger seat. That does phone, GPS receiver, Palm and iPod. It doesn't get in the way when I change gear at all.

Got it off eBay for under a fiver :D
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

Postby The Pram » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:22 pm

Your suggestions sound fine to me. There is not much chance of me buying on now but I might get one for my birthday in March. I am sure there will be chances to see what other folk have done before then. Ideally I would like one for June as I have a wedding in Yorkshire and have no idea where I am going.
Cheers guys

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby bjperez » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:20 am

Just to add my two pence: Have got a Road angel navigator 6000 which runs off the cigarette lighter, no problems with it getting in the way with the gear stick. I've got it on the right hand side of the car so the cable runs underneath the steering column, I did think that this might be annoying but in fact it hides the cable nicely and it looks pretty sweet. Also, hopefully ensures that I won't be getting any tickets! Not that I speed of course...
ResEng Ben
My Car

bjperez

Postby The Pram » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:28 am

Thanks for that and all the other good ideas. If anyone is at the pub meet this week with a sat nav can you maybe take it with you so I can see what you have done cable wise.
Cheers
Lorraine

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby jamie_duff » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:32 pm

WE thought about Satnav and phone kits when we bought the car.

We came to the conclusion that the MX-5 is just too tiny and cluttered inside to fit either in a non-annoying place (I'm very pedantic about that sort of thing :oops: :oops: :oops: ) and that the only way to properly do it would be to fit a double DIN headunit with bluetooth and satnav connectivity.

Then we (I) decided that there was no way on Earth we were sticking a valuable headunit into a rag top - so we have shelved the idea for now.

I'd be interested in seeing other people's though, incase anyone has a non-messy arrangement that might suit us (me). Gill would probably be happy either way. I on the other hand have a screaming fit if someone puts a bag in a footwell of a car :x :x :x so any mess on show would make me die I think :oops: :lol:
jamie_duff

Postby Skarecrow29 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:16 pm

My nav system slips neatly into the pocket on the back of the seat, although I'm thinking of upgrading as the pages are getting a bit dog eared so will be scanning the selves of bookworld for a 2007 edition. :D
Skarecrow29

Postby The Pram » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:25 pm

Not bad, not bad at all :lol: I just need to find one of those connector things that mean I can plug in the 'atlas' away from the fag lighter.

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby Skarecrow29 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:02 pm

It does have its draw backs, Zooming down the A96 trying to find the third turning on the left with a large book open in front of you is not to be recommended :shock:
Skarecrow29

Postby malcolm » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:45 pm

I've still got a brand new Garmin C510 delux Sat Nav system for sale if anyone is interested, at a bargain price of £80.00 or swap for something MX5ish. You know Supercharger, Turbo, ect ect
malcolm

Postby filgreen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:54 pm

jamie_duff wrote:WE thought about Satnav and phone kits when we bought the car.

We came to the conclusion that the MX-5 is just too tiny and cluttered inside to fit either in a non-annoying place (I'm very pedantic about that sort of thing :oops: :oops: :oops: ) and that the only way to properly do it would be to fit a double DIN headunit with bluetooth and satnav connectivity.

Then we (I) decided that there was no way on Earth we were sticking a valuable headunit into a rag top - so we have shelved the idea for now.

I'd be interested in seeing other people's though, incase anyone has a non-messy arrangement that might suit us (me). Gill would probably be happy either way. I on the other hand have a screaming fit if someone puts a bag in a footwell of a car :x :x :x so any mess on show would make me die I think :oops: :lol:

I too am particular about visible cables and mounts etc, but this is how my mobile is mounted in the Roadster:

the cable goes behind the mount and between the knee panel and the instrument pod and is not visible from inside the car.

The hands free kit is behind the knee panel, while the the microphone is on top of the steering binnacle, you can see it at the bottom of the rev counter.
Shiny Red has been replaced by:

filgreen

Next

Return to ICE and Music