New roof, happy car and owner!

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

New roof, happy car and owner!

Postby Lazydonkey » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:27 pm

Oops - last posts were deleted but i thought I'd update you guys on my progress!

After my loosing loosing a fight with ned and stanley knife I booked the car into Trimline in glasgow for a new vinal hood.

Now it would be fair to say that Mark and I got off on the wrong foot today (i go on holiday tomorrow and i was stressed to the max and didnt consider a wee thing called VAT) but I've got to say he was descent to the end.

End result is a brilliant looking hood (inc. new window which is good cos two of the old elements had failed) I think even Mark would agree that he's not the cheapest in the world, but i just didn't want to get the roof bodged.

The cost ? ?595 plus Vat - call it ?700.

Like i said, not the cheapest but he's done a top job and he seems a thoroughly descent guy to boot.

Can't believe the difference tho - my old roof must have shrunk a huge amount and now the rain hits roof first and not window rubbers so i'm hoping for no more leaks - yippee!
-------------

'98 1.6 Mk2 in BRG (or Racing Green Mica) ......now sadly gone
'03 Vauxhall VX220 2.2 Europa Blue........arrived and fitting in well !
'04 Mini Diesel with big wheels!
Lazydonkey

Postby Phil » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:10 pm

The dreaded VAT, I've never really understood why the majority of car parts, spares and accessory suppliers quote for the job + VAT, it makes the price sound cheaper but as most customers will have to pay the VAT anyway it needs to be included. :(

If shops on the high street or your local supermarket priced goods ex VAT then added it on at the till there would be some unhappy customers. :?
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Hardtrack » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:32 pm

700 quid for a vynal(how the hell do you spell it :twisted:) roof :shock: :shock: :shock: ,must remember to score their name off the phone book,near 3 times the price of a sft hood fitted :o ,but as long as your happy,thats the main thing :D
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:40 pm

Vynla, Viynl, vlyna, Vinly, VINYL, knew I would get it eventually. :?

Now does anybody know what it stands for. :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Hardtrack » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:25 pm

I do actually :shock:..but is waayyyyyyyyyyy too taxing on my brain...or is it PolyVinylChloride as in PVC :?......ptfe? Polytetrafluoroethylene in plain english.....plumbers tape!.......you've gave me a sore head now Phil :cry: :P
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Colin & Margaret » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:26 pm

Phil PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a hell of a lot easier to spell!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Colin
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:46 pm

Ah, but it's not just plastic is it :? There's chemists out there earning lots of money re-inventing plastic and giving it fancy names. 8)

I must admit that PTFE or Plumbers Tape is a lot easier than polywobbledoodlealltheday or whatever. :lol: :lol:
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby graeme » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:53 pm

From www.vinylinfo.org:
The world's most versatile plastic had a rather humble beginning: A rubber scientist during the early 1920s stumbled onto a new material with fantastic properties during his search for a synthetic adhesive. Waldo Semon was intrigued with his finding, and experimented by making golf balls and shoe heels out of the versatile material called polyvinyl chloride, or PVC.

I presume by "A rubber scientist" they mean a scientist who worked with rubber rather than Dr bendy. Amazing what websites there are out there eh?
graeme

Postby Colin & Margaret » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:45 pm

Still plastic though. If we all knew what was in it or how to spell it, they wouldn't be able top charge us so much.

I like the site though. The "Vinyl partners for humanity" sounds fun. A friend at work used to have one of those which he called Jemima but had to get rid of her as she was going through too many puncture repair kits!!

Or am I not fully understanding what the site is all about???????? It does mention infinite uses!! :twisted:
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:13 pm

Ho, Ho, Ho, :lol: :lol: We will be upsetting Si soon. :? :shock:
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby inddigo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:44 am

thinks of rubber hmmmmm isnt latex a version of rubber?? :twisted:

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:12 am

Yep. 8)
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:27 pm

Your a right dirty git Andy! :roll:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby inddigo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:53 am

thnx Jim, always like a complement :twisted:

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby Lazydonkey » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:50 pm

wow - so many responses and all of such high quality ! lol

and yes Hardtrack it is expensive but i did get a lovely new glass screen with all the elements working - and unfortunately SFT seems to be no closer to their replacement glass roof.

Like i said - certainly not the cheapest, but i understand that a lot of companies simply re-use the glass screen which may accoutn for the difference in cost.

Anyone fancy buying the car in March ? lol
-------------

'98 1.6 Mk2 in BRG (or Racing Green Mica) ......now sadly gone
'03 Vauxhall VX220 2.2 Europa Blue........arrived and fitting in well !
'04 Mini Diesel with big wheels!
Lazydonkey

Return to Central Scotland