fitting an alpine head unit into a eunos 93 mark 1

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Postby greenhornet » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Hi

Received an Alpine head unit, only to find the orginal side brackets that are supplied with the original double din unit do not allow the unit to sit flush within the gap.
How is it possible after fitting the cubby box to ensure the cage is secured to the console? Where do you fit the screws or does it just slid in and hope for the best?

Has anyone replaced the double din Japanese for a European head unit (preferably Alpine)
greenhornet

Postby MichaelG » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:06 pm

As far as I am aware, not many cages get screwed in.

On the cage there are a number of wee shapes which you simple push down which secures the cage to the console. Then when you slide the head unit into place two wee clips at the back of the cage hold the head unit, hence why you need the keys to remove the unit from the cage.

All you should need to do is remove the Double Din cage and fit the new alpine cage along with the cubby box.

I have never replaced a mk1 head unit but from my experience that’s how it should be done.

Mike
MichaelG

Postby pablo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:54 pm

All you should need to do is remove the Double Din cage and fit the new alpine cage along with the cubby box

As the man said - fit cubby box first then insert new cage, bend pins back into dash recess to secure and finally slot your head unit.

Pretty easy really :shock:
(1) Eunos V-spec type II - SOLD to forum member 'OldSpice'
(2) Eunos '89 standard spec SOLD
(3) MX5 mk1 1.6 with turbo conversion SOLD
(4) Eunos G-Ltd. Original and keeping it that way
pablo

Postby greenhornet » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:51 pm

aaahhh soooo

Cheers guys...fitted yesterday only the ariel lead is not UK standard so off to Halfords for the extension or back onto ebay.

Ta

Tony
greenhornet

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:28 pm

My local car accessories place has a couple of different adapters for converting aerials and other wiring related stuff to allow the fitment of almost any modern stereo into virtually any car. So I would imagine Halfords would be able to supply similar items. The Pioneer stereo I put into my Mk1 Eunos didn't need the aerial adaptor, but it did need an adaptor for the wiring loom. The same stereo needed both the aerial and loom adaptors when fitted to my wife's Cavalier.

Although it sounds like you have the unit in place now, my Eunos has a metal bar behind the stereo where the back of the radio sits. In this bar is a pretty large slotted hole. It's about 12mm across and a little longer top to bottom. The stereo I put in had a threaded hole in the back for a special screw, about 25mm long, with a hex nut about 6mm from one end. You thread the short end into the stereo and place a rubber stopper onto the other end. The rubber stopper sits into the slot in the bar which helps to give the back of the stereo a bit of support and makes it a bit more stable. However, my wife's cavalier had no such arrangement and the stereo seems to sit just fine in there without it.

From memory, the arrangement is something like this:

(I don't really know what the bottom of the metal bar is attached to.)
Enjay

Postby pablo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Nice choice of car btw

Dont need another one by any chance do you? :?
(1) Eunos V-spec type II - SOLD to forum member 'OldSpice'
(2) Eunos '89 standard spec SOLD
(3) MX5 mk1 1.6 with turbo conversion SOLD
(4) Eunos G-Ltd. Original and keeping it that way
pablo

Shame I missed your post.

Postby Stonehaven » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:43 pm

The original metal side frame on the double din can be drilled to line up with the Alpine holes. The pin on the back of the orginal cage then slots directly into the bar at theback. You then don't have to use a cage and the stereo is literally bolted into the car.
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

Return to ICE and Music