electric aerial not working

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

electric aerial not working

Postby greenhornet » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:59 am

My electric aerial on my mk1 raises only 1/4 of it's original height.
the motor is heard to be working, but the aerial mast is loose. To reach the full height you physically have to pull it up with the hope of it sticking and not droping back down.

Any ideas as I dont have the cash to spend on a new electric aerial motor.

Tony
greenhornet

Postby nickso » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:10 pm

as its buggered anyway id be tempted to take it out and see if you can take it apart.....if it comes apart it will probably be obvious whats wrong
nickso

Electric Arial

Postby Zoom Zoom » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:31 pm

See http://www.miata.net/garage/power_antenna_repair.html

I had a similar problem some time ago - have a look at http://www.fizzindi.demon.co.uk/aerial.htm for some ideas. You can buy just the mast as a replacement (much cheaper than the whole unit) see http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id/127 .....Jon
Zoom Zoom

Postby boringchap » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:23 am

Managed to fix similar problem in my MK2 electric arial by skooshing (technical term) 1/4 tin of WD40 on it while switching radio on and off and pulling arial up the remainder of its length. Process took me about 15 minutes but my stubbornness paid off; no more problems with arial. Maybe worth a try before you take it all to bits?

Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Re: electric aerial not working

Postby graeme » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:43 pm

greenhornet wrote:you physically have to pull it up with the hope of it sticking and not droping back down.

That sounds like the plastic toothed strip has broken. Give the Mazda dealer the part number (they tend to deny the part exists) and get a new mast and belt (they are attached). It's a pain to fix, but it can be fixed (Hey, if I've done it) :wink:
graeme

Postby Danny » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:05 pm

boringchap wrote:Managed to fix similar problem in my MK2 electric arial by skooshing (technical term) 1/4 tin of WD40 on it while switching radio on and off and pulling arial up the remainder of its length. Process took me about 15 minutes but my stubbornness paid off; no more problems with arial. Maybe worth a try before you take it all to bits?

Tom.

I did exactly that to free up the aerial on my old Merc. - and the aerial was still working perfectly when I sold the car four years later. (The MB dealers used to supply special aerial cleaning "wipes" but WD40 on a cloth does the same thing.) Since then, I have got into the habit of skooshing WD40 down/into the electric aerial every time I clean the car - preventative maintenance - no further problems :)
2004 1.8i Sport - Strato Blue Mica
Danny

Return to ICE and Music