Lands End to John O Groats Sponsorship

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

Lands End to John O Groats Sponsorship

Postby Hardtrack » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:52 am

I will be joining the John O Groats run at the National Rally on the Sunday and continuing with the other members to at least Loch Lomond,hopefully John O Groats if i can wangle a day off from work :?.I am asking all Scottish OC members for their support on this run with a little sponsorship,which can be as much or as little as you can afford.............I have a plate at the Callander Classic show which i will be attending next Sunday with my car ,which some of you will know,so i hope you will be able to sponsor me then if you attend the event.I am also hoping that the co-ordinators of the Scottish clubs could possibly arrange something when the 3 cars doing the run will be passing through their regions.........even just to join the cars or meet up and give some of your much needed cash to charity (in his best Smashy and Nicey voice 8) )..........i look forward to seeing you all at the Callander Classic......DONT AVOID ME :lol: :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Fee » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:17 pm

Please give LOTS of money.

I was going to give my money to the RSPCA and Lifeboats as I didn't know anyone who had cancer. That is until yesterday, when I was told that I have cervical cancer so there's a good reason for you dig much further into your pockets. Please don't give me sympathy, just give the lads even more money. I was planning on meeting up with them at Loch Lomond on the Monday but looks like that won't be happening now as I will probably need surgery, so my cheque will be in the post very shortly.
Might not be able to drive my 5 for 2 months :(

Fi x :(
Mk3 2 litre Sport Brilliant Black
Mk 2.5 Crystal Blue - Gone But Not Forgotten
OC 12837
Fee

Postby inddigo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:34 pm

Fi,
You have our sympathy anyway, and we will be seeing the guys at Weston Park to cheer them on and give them money :) Look after yourself and hopefully we will see you asap.

Cheers

Andy and Jo
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby Si » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:50 pm

Life sucks doesn't it :(

We'll be thinking of you!

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Hardtrack » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:17 pm

Not good news Fi!!!,it's easy when we're looking from outside in at peoples situations,but believe me,without going into details,i do understand!and remember medical science is making steps forward in stuff like this everyday,and i wish you a speedy recovery,because you will!!!!!! :D.If anyone that is good enough to support who is doing the run wants their money to go to a specific charity,just write a cheque out to it,instead of handing over cash.................
give it to me or anyone taking to do with the run,and i will forward it to Al in Cornwall.I haven't said yet......but the money i have in my personal sponsorship,will be going to a specific charity i choose,which isn't any of the ones that are listed in the thread in the National site.The run i do,will be my time,my hundreds of pounds in petrol doing the run and also what i've spent driving around getting sponsorship.......this is my choice and i get absolutely nothing out it personally other than donating to a charity close to my heart which has affected my life,i think i have earned the right to give my personal sponsorship ,to who i choose......which will be,The Heart and Lung Foundation.All the sponsorships from businesses such as Mx5parts and Shing Fung etc etc will go to the the 4 charity's listed on the National site.........it's only my personal sponsorship that will be going to my choice,i hope this doesn't offend anyone that is kind enough to sponsor me. :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Fee » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:51 pm

Jim, any charity is worthy of donations, I have no objection whatsoever to you chosing your own cause. They all deserve it, every penny.

Fi
OC 12837
Fee

Postby graeme » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:44 pm

I am Al the idiot who is sorting out the Charity run from Lands End to John O'Groats. Overall the run is completly set with most of the route finished, the Baton carriers Identified and Money starting to pour (drip) in.? We have recieved cheques/cash to well over ?500 before we even start and have had pledged over ?4500 on top of this so believe the run has every chance of being a big success!
?
However, the Gentleman who was going to carry the baton \from Loch Lomond to John O'Groats on the Monday may have to withdraw!? Could you at this short notice find a kind person (idiot) who is willing to give their time and petrol to help achieve an unbroken baton run?
?
The other point is the lack of interest that seems to be coming from Scotland.? This could just be a case of people being quiet but Mack and I are unsure.
?
If you can do anything to help with the above points it would be really appriciated!
?
Thanks
?
Al Skilton?
graeme

Postby Si » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:30 am

Does anyone else intend meeting up with the guys doing this sponsored run on Sunday? I'm going to be in the Glasgow area on Sunday anyway so intend meeting them and handing over some cash.

So, are you going?

Si
Si

Postby Si » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:33 am

Tonight I met up with Dave and his family to welcome Mack and Jim to Loch Lomond. It was a shame there were just the two of us, but I suspect more would've turned up had they not been at the National Rally.

After Jim departed, it took us nearly one and a half hours to find somewhere suitable for Mack to stay. Scottish hospitality isn't what it used to be ....... so many people telling us he couldn't camp here/there/anywhere :(

Pleasure to meet you Mack .... I didn't think we'd get on, but how wrong was I. Well done on a good charity effort and I hope you made as much money as you hoped you would!

Si
Si

Postby inddigo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:58 pm

Hi Si,
We would have come too, but we met the guys at Weston, Mack it was great to meet you and Dax and all the other guys :)

Cheers

Andy
Andy and Jo
inddigo

Postby Levenhowe » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:13 pm

Si
It was easy for us to nip down as we only stay 1/2 a mile away. 8)
It was nice to see both you and Jim again and to finally meet the legendary loftladderman of whom I have heard so much
He is quite a character and the car was impressive but most of all the kids loved the West highland terrier :D
Sorry you missed the coffee but the three lochs tour to find a campsite put a damper on that
:cry:
Ps : Thanks for the name change
Steve
MX5's are good but they are not that good!!

topdown ... Make your own mind up ...

Chrome makes your car look like a tarts handbag...

MX5OC = Owners who do lunch ...
Levenhowe

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:45 pm

Just a quick update: It looks like the guys made it to John O' Groats ok, I passed them just outside Dornoch at around 2:30pm this afternoon as I was on my way to the airport and I have just had a message on MSN messenger that a friend of mine saw them again at around 6:50pm heading south at the Mound on the A9 north of Dornoch. Looks like Mac and the guys did a great job.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Si » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:59 pm

Levenhowe wrote:Ps : Thanks for the name change

This is going to sound very odd but I was sure you're name was Steve right up until the point I thought you said on the phone "It's Dave"....... I really should turn the engine off when trying to have a phone conversation shouldn't I :oops:

Really sorry about that :(

Si
Si

Postby Hardtrack » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:21 am

Big thanx to Si and Steve for being there at Loch Lomond,was going to text and say thanx today,but have been totally shattered and even typing a text seemed a days work :? ...........so, recharged due to sleeping half the night :) .............and Mack,you should have rang me after having trouble getting a campsite as the offer of accomadation still stood in rainy Ayrshire :wink:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Thanks

Postby loftladderman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:04 am

Hi all :-)

Thanks to si and Levenhowe (Dave) and his family for meeting Jim, Myself and Dax at Balloch Blue Car Park :-)

Si thanks for your donation and the meals for me and Dax.
We were ravenous.

I agree about the 10pm till early morning curfew opperated in my own homeland.

If I felt a pest and unwanted at the camp sites we visited, and I am sure vistors to this fine Country must find it even more so !
Strange this attitude from a Country known world wide for its breakfasts and its welcoming attitude.
Needs a re-think !
I myself will never again boast of Scotland to my foreign friends.

Jim THANKS.
You did make that offer but I was determined to camp out pal :-)
You know what a stubborn lot we lads can be at times I am sure, and ME in particular LOL

I have posted a fuller letter on the Sassenach forum re the lack of interest / support in my homeland.

Not "everyone" was at Weston / on Vacation like Bill / working / rebuilding their cars / being struck by lightning / tied to the bed posts / welcoming visiting martians / being abducted by aliens / watching flying pigs zoom across the night sky though WERE THEY ?
Very VERY disapointed to say the least at what simply appears to be total apathy !
I do however hope one day I am in a position to repay those lovely people :-)
'Nuff said me thinks :-)
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby inddigo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:01 am

Hi Mack,
Just a quick note to say congratulations for you and the guys achievement, and it was good to finally meet you and Dax at Weston Park, as i said in an earlier post if we had been at home we would definately come to meet you at Loch Lomond but we had the honour at Weston ( unfortunatly NOT tied to a post but i wont go there as Jo will tell me off ).

Look forward to seeing you at the next runs,

Cheers,

Andy
Andy and Jo
inddigo

LOL

Postby loftladderman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:59 am

:lol:
LOL
Cheers Andy....and that post aint so bad :wink:
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Fee » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Hee hee, I was tied to the bedpost!!!! but not in that way :cry:

Glad you guys enjoyed the run so much, and I too am disappointed that you did not have a great turn out from us Scots.

I was thinking about you driving topless on the Monday morning as I was heading to hosp, took my mind off things, the weather was not good, don't know if it brightened up for you, hope so, i can't remember.

Fi
x
OC 12837
Fee

Postby inddigo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:44 pm

Fi,
The highlight of the thing was finally meeting the legendary Mack and Dax :) at Weston... oh and i spent to much money on the car :(

Andy
Andy and Jo
inddigo

Borders

Postby loftladderman » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:45 am

Hi
Only bad (ISH) weather I had was on the "Borders", and rather damp at Baloch but that was Sunday and on Monday we were blessed with great weather all day for the 600 plus miles we did :-)
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Return to Central Scotland