A82 Tarbet - Crianlarich

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

A82 Tarbet - Crianlarich

Postby murwilson » Sat May 20, 2006 10:20 am

...especially the first section out of Tarbet with all the twisty bits.

Only spoiled by the amount of motorcycle nutters that plague our roads when the sun comes out with their "I'm invincible" leather suits and poor road manners. (Not ALL of them, just most of them!)

Beginning to annoy me almost as much as caravans...

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby The Pram » Sat May 20, 2006 10:26 am

We have had 2 bikers killed in the North East in the last week. One in the city who went through a red light and the other on a bendy country road. He missed a bend and they picked up his various body parts from about 3 fields. Apparently, his head exploded :!:

Lorraine
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
The Pram

Postby graeme » Sat May 20, 2006 11:40 am

That's a terrible thing to happen - not least for his family.

I enjoy seeing motorbikes on twisty road, but I wish they would remember that when they are banking on the white line on a corner, that puts their head 4ft on your side!
graeme

Postby sgibson » Sat May 20, 2006 6:55 pm

It's a good road but I prefer the one from Tarbert to Oban via Inverary.

As for bikers, it's common culture for them to think they are superior road users and that any accident is the fault of an unwary car driver. :roll:
sgibson

Postby murwilson » Sat May 20, 2006 11:27 pm

sgibson wrote:It's a good road but I prefer the one from Tarbert to Oban via Inverary.

That's where we had come from, Oban I mean and all the way down the A86.

I enjoyed the drive but didn't find it as challenging as the short section on the A82 but then it was more congested and couldn't really get a run at it, if you know what I mean.

It was enough to make me go for a 2nd run though ;)

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby pablo » Sun May 21, 2006 12:38 am

Hmm I was a big fan of this forum but now my opinion has been changed somewhat by these comments of bikers.

I myself am a biker and fellow mx5 owner and I really didn't think I would find this level of 'biker bashing here!

Do I think
it's common culture for them to think they are superior road users and that any accident is the fault of an unwary car driver.
- No I dont actually. Dont tar everyone with the same brush!!

He missed a bend and they picked up his various body parts from about 3 fields. Apparently, his head exploded
Oh well Lorraine, thats all right then isn't it?! Makes for good reading eh? Oh how we laughed (NOT)

When a couple of members have posted topics of their accidents here (wheteher their own fault or not) they have received nothing but sympathy and quite rightly too. The same should happen for anyone!

Graeme, I commend your neutral stance on the matter.

Summers round the corner, there's enough roads for everyone - Lets just enjoy it!
(1) Eunos V-spec type II - SOLD to forum member 'OldSpice'
(2) Eunos '89 standard spec SOLD
(3) MX5 mk1 1.6 with turbo conversion SOLD
(4) Eunos G-Ltd. Original and keeping it that way
pablo

Postby The Pram » Sun May 21, 2006 1:25 am

Pablo.

Sorry if my comment offended you but I could not detect any hint of humour in it at all, or digs at bikers. It was a statement of fact. I have had two bikes myself, albeit small ones but bikes none the less. My first one was written off by someone else on the road. A friends brother was killed on his bike last year.

But these things have happened and it may make for good reading if it reminds all of us of the dangers of driving, whether a car or a bike.

Having seen too many pictures at work of dead bodies as a result of accidents (bikers and car drivers) I for one do find it a good read as it reminds me to be as safe a driver as possible. Hence going to the track night so I can learn more driving skills.

I doubt for a minute that anyone here was having a go at you in particular and I dont see anyone sticking up for caravan owners either.

Lorraine
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
The Pram

Postby Davie » Sun May 21, 2006 12:22 pm

As said above don't tar us all with the same brush - I have a bike and a car. I drive 30K miles a year and see some horrendous driving by drivers in German exec cars but I don't think ALL BMW and Merc drivers are ignorant and arrogant.
I'm sure each "class" of road user has it's fair share of nutters but it's easy to slag off the smaller ones.
Davie

Postby sgibson » Sun May 21, 2006 12:37 pm

pablo wrote:Hmm I was a big fan of this forum but now my opinion has been changed somewhat by these comments of bikers.

I don't think any of my comments should reflect on your opinion of the forum. I'm not even a an OC member.

My best friend is a biker and comes from a family of bikers who tour, race and restore all sorts of bikes, and he agrees with me on my opinion, which I should clarify;

There are lots of good bikers who get involved in accidents caused by mindless drivers, but there are a lot of nutters who drive fast everywhere on their bike who see car drivers as the only hazard on the road, the bike forums have a lot of them.

Forgive me for daring to mention bikers of any sort in a bad light, but I don't think it's without truth.
sgibson

Return to Scottish Drives