Removing Air Conditioning Unit - MK1

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Removing Air Conditioning Unit - MK1

Postby Bev » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi, I have an MK1 1.6 (1991) the clutch mechanism in the air con unit is corroded and is moving. My mechanic has suggested two alternatives, replace the air con unit or remove it entirely. The air con has not worked on the car since I bought it and I consider the soft top to be the air con!! I am thinking of just removing the air con unit and re routing the belt. Currently Power steering-AC-crank shaft (or so I am told) to power steering direct to crank shaft. Has anyone out there done this? I am looking for advice on belt length required and any tips that could be helpful. I have also written down "coolant hose?" but I don't know what I meant by that! As you can probably tell I am relying on advice from my mechanic and don't have the technical know how myself but if we could get advice on belt length this would save a lot of faffing around. I get the feeling with a car this age it would help me a lot if I had some expertise myself but I don't and I love the car so muddling through! :D Thanks for any advice :D
Bev

Re: Removing Air Conditioning Unit - MK1

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:35 pm

The car has two belts one drives the water pump and the alternator.

The other belt has two versions. One that drives the air con and the power steering, the other version that is shorter only drives the power steering and certain UK cars without power steering do not have a second belt.

If you remove the aircon compressor, the shorter belt you need to run the power steering pump is this one.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/power-steeri ... p-213.html

I believe to properly remove the air con there is work needing done behind the dash on the car but will leave that to your mechanic to advise you on.
Last edited by drumtochty on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Bev » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:29 am

Thank you that's really useful, I will consult the mechanic about the work needed behind the dash. Also check that he is clued up on what needs removing as I suspect he made it all sound a bit too easy :D
Bev

Postby OldSpice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am

I'm not anti-aircon, but a chap here removed mine to salvage bits on my behalf years back to hopefully fix his.
Just my take, but the huge amount of components are ancient now, and removing of old leaking (?) stuff as far as I am concerned, has more benefits than drawbacks.
Less weight ( around the weight of a full tank of fuel!) less crank drag, less complication, better fuel consumption...which as we know is...well....awful.
However, had my aircon been salvageable, I'd have had it sorted however the matrix behind the dash pad was goosed I think, and the pump clutches were seized.
As I recall, there was more wrong than right.
That Mx5Nutz walk through is now a scary 10 years old...probably with good reason.
No doubt about it, there are big benefits in an older 5 for AC not least demist & damp control...but there comes a time.
In my opinion....
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby mgrays » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Well I removed OId Spice#s A/C

Still have the dash guts still here as I bought and put a non A/C guts in place so it was true/standard non A/C. The compressor was seized on both cars and clutch on his I think, I stripped and cleaned up the best bits and the resultant mix of parts was unit was fine with some TLC that most mechanics would not do. The condenser and drier were also dead. The issue was not the pump or the dash parts but the pipework. There was a few generations of pipework but the original had a steel bracket around the small high pressure aluminium pipe work to the condenser (radiator of the A/C) and that just falls apart when salt water gets to it. Oh and it also welds the pipe to the condenser so you kill that at the same time.. Ultimately I ended up getting a third pipe from a breaker, plus new condenser, plus new drier, rebuilt pump and then went DIY with a vacuum pump and A/C gauges as I did not trust the local A/C companies as it was rarer back then and the first one was useless! So getting the A/C to work again cost more than £800 I seem to think.

Long story short .. remove the pump and get the short non A/C belt unless you want to spend a fair amount of money .. or really are going to Europe. Roof down works just fine for Scotland .. guess it does help with demisting.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby OldSpice » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:58 am

Ah yes....the memories!
And, thanks for cleaning up the chassis etc.
Apart from the usual rear sill/arch carry on, your work is as it was done yesterday.
Little meaningful bits of TLC I was not expecting! :o
Hope you are well.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:03 pm

I can assure you Robin that Malcolm is well, living in Drumtochty Glen, just two farmers fields away from ourselfs. He has two lovely twin daughters, a very nice dog called Murren and a wonderful wife.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:40 am

Good grief!
He's been busy then.
Only one thing for it now........
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/73324300160822769/
:shock:
OldSpice

Postby mgrays » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Aye .. but the yella car has not moved for over 5 years.. and new cars (to me) needed 5 doors for little darlings. Good to hear the Jotamastic with hammerite green top coat plus a bit of Dinotrol has lasted.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby OldSpice » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:53 pm

mgrays wrote:Aye .. but the yella car has not moved for over 5 years.. and new cars (to me) needed 5 doors for little darlings. Good to hear the Jotamastic with hammerite green top coat plus a bit of Dinotrol has lasted.

Oh dear!
That's not like you!
I'll give you a tenner and collect it. :shock:
OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:49 am

mgrays wrote:Aye .. but the yella car has not moved for over 5 years.. and new cars (to me) needed 5 doors for little darlings. Good to hear the Jotamastic with hammerite green top coat plus a bit of Dinotrol has lasted.

Holy cow Malcolm, I never realised at the time you went in so deep.
It paid off though.
Just the same pretty much as you left them.
It's not the front end that's the issue...just the usual Mk1 rear end-itis
It's going in for a full metal jacket rear end resto & paint soonish.
I had considered scrapping...but...here I go again eh?
OldSpice

Return to Technical