Eunos Roadster - Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Re: Eunos Roadster - Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II

Postby Scotty Dugg » Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am

71NotOut wrote:I need to pull the finger out & get my rear crank seal done (and clutch & all bearings) then get the car MOT & tax in time for Braemar.

I'm selling it & it's too good an opportunity to have a group who will appreciate the value rather than a bunch of young lads who won't pay more than £1k for one!

What's the age cut-off for "young lad" :lol:

I think I have a spare clutch bearing if you need it and the gasket for the gearbox if you're going that far into it. You should be out enjoying it in this spout of good weather we are having, you might even change your mind about selling :D
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Tue May 01, 2018 3:51 pm

OldSpice wrote:
71NotOut wrote:I'm selling it & it's too good an opportunity to have a group who will appreciate the value rather than a bunch of young lads who won't pay more than £1k for one!

:(
Time to move on then, to what? Anything in mind?

Yes, this...

and this...

are going into this...

Bought for £600, only done 57k - going to use it as a Mountain Bike bus and micro camper for weekends away with Mrs H and the dog.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, and a 1991 V-Special...Now in a Bongo!!
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Scotty Dugg wrote:
71NotOut wrote:I need to pull the finger out & get my rear crank seal done (and clutch & all bearings) then get the car MOT & tax in time for Braemar.

I'm selling it & it's too good an opportunity to have a group who will appreciate the value rather than a bunch of young lads who won't pay more than £1k for one!

What's the age cut-off for "young lad" :lol:

I think I have a spare clutch bearing if you need it and the gasket for the gearbox if you're going that far into it. You should be out enjoying it in this spout of good weather we are having, you might even change your mind about selling :D

Thanks but i've got clutch and all bearings/gaskets as I thought if i'm going to do it, may as well do it all!

Mind made up about selling - i'm just not using her as much as she deserves - spend more time buying bits and polishing than driving. Getting into Mountain Biking as well which is limiting time even more.

Just need to wait for an "enthusiast" to come along who is willing to pay what i'll be asking.
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue May 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Please PM me with what you may be asking.
I will keep it in confidence.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby 71NotOut » Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm

OldSpice wrote:Please PM me with what you may be asking.
I will keep it in confidence.

PM'ed.
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Replied
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
OldSpice

Postby Scotty Dugg » Fri May 04, 2018 10:06 am

Minor update time:

Admitted defeat on my hunt for an aftermarket 1.8 manifold, bought a cheap one from ebay, arrived a day earlier than expected and they've stated it's for a 370mm cat (which is ideal).

Quality seems ok, will advise what the fit it like:
ImageMX-5 NA 04/05/2018 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

By the time you factor in all gaskets, fittings and (manifold dependant) a new cat/decat. It seems worth a go, plan is to fit with the silenced decat and see how we get on.

Purists need not fear, the plan is to fix the RSR manifold and refit it at a later date.

Also fitted some centre caps to the Panasports, I think they look pretty decent, open to opinons though

Thanks for reading.
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 am

Looks nice Scotty. I've seen worse welding, and so have you I'd wager.
I just "dug" my own 93 Mk1 Roadster out it's tomb two days ago. :oops:

I'd not even flipped the garage door for nearly 30 months.
4 flat tyres, utterly filthy, close to "barn find" level. Westco long gone of course. Sills & rear wings are totally shot, but they were a core reason why I dumped it.
It has a recent low miles replacement (40,ooo miles)1840cc mill from AK Automotive in, and for it's UK wide H4H rally I had a lot of mechanics renewed...but the discs & calipers are scrap now.
It smells like an old church inside...thousands of little green & white mouldy dots.

To cut a long short, I went to a local breaker two days ago, got a recent lead-acid Yuasa from a wrecked Pug for a tenner, connected it with croc clips.
If the mill was seized or blowing anywhere, had mayo, it was off to scrap or sale for spares & repairs tbh. Here we go. 1 turn..churn churn cough...blurp blurp..cough. 3 more like that. :shock:
5th turn....cough wheeze cough cough. This sounds hopeful. I could smell fuel...a Good Thing. 6th turn....Houston we have lift off! :lol:
It ticked over for 40 minutes with no issues, the cooling fan clicked in after 10. All leccy things work like leccy things...everything.

Oddly, hydro bucket lash was totally absent.
No leaks...zero issues. I took it to between 4 to 7k rpm for ten minutes. Settled to 750rpm perfectly and silently. No coolant wibbles.
I had put fresh GTX in back then for a possible Day of Resurrection, topped the tank to the brim with Vpower to minimise water contamination, & 2 bottles of Forte Fuel System cleaner. Kinda makes me wonder about this "old fuel" degradation stuff tbh.

Since it sent a clear message it's not ready to die, I'll do what I can and it's off for a chassis/body resto next year to AK Automotive.
It will be OK for the next 146000 miles. I cannot justify 7k/8k for a BRG Mk1 I'd would want. 4k to restore what I have (there is more good about it than bad) seems a better solution. Were it not one of the rarer VS Type 2s, I not be bothering but only 400 were done in this colour & trim combo together with 400 black, and 400 white. Recently, a pristine nut and bolter went for a strong 7 + k
Nor would I bother with a later marque. I say that having poured 4.5 k into restoring SWMBO's Mk2.5 over recent years as Eddie in particular knows. Never again...but really good Mk1's preserved values are shooting past later Marques' values at high velocity now. Accessible latter day Elan antidotes?

Watch this space.
In 5 years or less I bet genuine saliva inducing nut & bolters will match used ND prices, by current indications.
Your car could be one...if....one day you can do the original mill to keep matching numbers given it's MazdaSpeed heritage. It's all time and money.
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Fri May 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes you will have to do some stuff yourself as the £4k limit will soon be eaten up when the subframes come off and certain items are replaced and maybe a new fuel tank, brake and fuel ines, suspension joints etc.

To do the body properly will not be inexpensive either.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri May 04, 2018 1:56 pm

drumtochty wrote:Yes you will have to do some stuff yourself as the £4k limit will soon be eaten up when the subframes come off and certain items are replaced and maybe a new fuel tank, brake and fuel ines, suspension joints etc.

To do the body properly will not be inexpensive either.

Quite Eddie.
Having spoken at length to AK and sent them lots of photos, we reckon 1.5 k for it's undercrackers, 2.5k top-side for full length sills & wings, "new" hood (used) and any wee bits 'n pieces. And that is allowing for hidden inner horror as yet to be exposed. They have every bit in stock to deal with it...not really the expensive element but its the metalwork, pre-preps, paint, rot injections, & labour per hour.
The paint on this car is only 4.5 years old following a pukka 2k respray so the overall paint would be confined to repairs areas then machine mopping.
Beneath the appalling storage crud, it's actually as new...mostly.
I'm not going for concourse, just a basically presentable every day user as it was 11 years back.
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Sat May 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Sorry to be a pain but that cost includes VAT as they deal with a lot of companies, there is a tendancy to produce numbers without VAT but I'm sure you have checked that with them Robin.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sat May 05, 2018 6:44 pm

drumtochty wrote:Sorry to be a pain but that cost includes VAT as they deal with a lot of companies, there is a tendancy to produce numbers without VAT but I'm sure you have checked that with them Robin.

Not being a pain at all Eddie. :wink:
I had not considered that yet.
I'll chat about it with them.
OldSpice

Postby Scotty Dugg » Wed May 16, 2018 3:46 pm

OldSpice wrote:Looks nice Scotty. I've seen worse welding, and so have you I'd wager.
I just "dug" my own 93 Mk1 Roadster out it's tomb two days ago. :oops:

I'd not even flipped the garage door for nearly 30 months.
4 flat tyres, utterly filthy, close to "barn find" level. Westco long gone of course. Sills & rear wings are totally shot, but they were a core reason why I dumped it.
It has a recent low miles replacement (40,ooo miles)1840cc mill from AK Automotive in, and for it's UK wide H4H rally I had a lot of mechanics renewed...but the discs & calipers are scrap now.
It smells like an old church inside...thousands of little green & white mouldy dots.

To cut a long short, I went to a local breaker two days ago, got a recent lead-acid Yuasa from a wrecked Pug for a tenner, connected it with croc clips.
If the mill was seized or blowing anywhere, had mayo, it was off to scrap or sale for spares & repairs tbh. Here we go. 1 turn..churn churn cough...blurp blurp..cough. 3 more like that. :shock:
5th turn....cough wheeze cough cough. This sounds hopeful. I could smell fuel...a Good Thing. 6th turn....Houston we have lift off! :lol:
It ticked over for 40 minutes with no issues, the cooling fan clicked in after 10. All leccy things work like leccy things...everything.

Oddly, hydro bucket lash was totally absent.
No leaks...zero issues. I took it to between 4 to 7k rpm for ten minutes. Settled to 750rpm perfectly and silently. No coolant wibbles.
I had put fresh GTX in back then for a possible Day of Resurrection, topped the tank to the brim with Vpower to minimise water contamination, & 2 bottles of Forte Fuel System cleaner. Kinda makes me wonder about this "old fuel" degradation stuff tbh.

Since it sent a clear message it's not ready to die, I'll do what I can and it's off for a chassis/body resto next year to AK Automotive.
It will be OK for the next 146000 miles. I cannot justify 7k/8k for a BRG Mk1 I'd would want. 4k to restore what I have (there is more good about it than bad) seems a better solution. Were it not one of the rarer VS Type 2s, I not be bothering but only 400 were done in this colour & trim combo together with 400 black, and 400 white. Recently, a pristine nut and bolter went for a strong 7 + k
Nor would I bother with a later marque. I say that having poured 4.5 k into restoring SWMBO's Mk2.5 over recent years as Eddie in particular knows. Never again...but really good Mk1's preserved values are shooting past later Marques' values at high velocity now. Accessible latter day Elan antidotes?

Watch this space.
In 5 years or less I bet genuine saliva inducing nut & bolters will match used ND prices, by current indications.
Your car could be one...if....one day you can do the original mill to keep matching numbers given it's MazdaSpeed heritage. It's all time and money.

Glad to hear it started, I've briefly spoken to AK and they certainly know their stuff. Had a rough price on refreshing the bottom half of the Mazdaspeed engine for me. Price would cost a lot less than if I bought the parts/tools etc. as my garage is empty.

Certainly is an interesting time for mk1's, things are on the turn, the cheaper the get the more get bought/thrashed/destroyed. Unfortunately mine is not a pristine nut and bolter, but it's good enough for me to use as a daily driver and not spend every second worrying about it....and to be fair that's what I really want from it.

Anyway, I've got a couple pieces coming to tidy up the interior and make it feel a little more "special", but I've just realised how much time there is before the gathering, so it'll be a case of do everything the day before and hope for the best! :lol:

I might have to park it towards the back :oops:
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 am

Scotty Dugg wrote:I might have to park it towards the back :oops:
[/quote]

No.
It matters not what others think. It's not a garage queen, never will be, and neither are mine.
Display it with pride...you've saved it. You'll be perhaps surprised at the interest in it given the story. And, the story is not over. :wink:
OldSpice

Postby 71NotOut » Thu May 17, 2018 11:16 am

OldSpice wrote:
Scotty Dugg wrote:I might have to park it towards the back :oops:

No.
It matters not what others think. It's not a garage queen, never will be, and neither are mine.
Display it with pride...you've saved it. You'll be perhaps surprised at the interest in it given the story. And, the story is not over. :wink:[/quote]

I'd happily park mine next to it mate :D

I have my new clutch in and gearbox, PPF, prop, etc. back on.

Just waiting on a delivery from Opie to refill gearbox oil then i'll see if she wants to start.

Had some coolant dripping down front of the block :( hoping it's just a side effect of all the moving about the engine has done when we removed/refitted gearbox otherwise it's possibly more work.

Still to get MOT and RFL before Braemar - time ticking on...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am

I'll park beside him as well Steve.
(For a small appearance fee) :lol:
OldSpice

Postby Scotty Dugg » Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks both :lol:

71NotOut wrote:I'd happily park mine next to it mate :D

I have my new clutch in and gearbox, PPF, prop, etc. back on.

Just waiting on a delivery from Opie to refill gearbox oil then i'll see if she wants to start.

Had some coolant dripping down front of the block :( hoping it's just a side effect of all the moving about the engine has done when we removed/refitted gearbox otherwise it's possibly more work.

Still to get MOT and RFL before Braemar - time ticking on...

Glad to hear it, looking forward to seeing it.

Parts pile continues to grow, will need to prioritise what gets fitted!
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Sun May 20, 2018 8:42 pm

My MOT is booked for a week tomorrow (earliest they could fit me in).

Fingers crossed everything is good for Braemar.

I am going to reproof my roof this week and get a fresh coat of wax on her.
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Mon May 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Weather long range looks promising so far......
In which case, SWMBO has "sanctioned", after much sweet talking & persuasion, to "allow" me to remove her Hardtop...for the day. :cry:
In which case, I can "sport" a rather natty Arctic blue hood cover, and actually hear that SS Zorst as it should be. :lol:
If...only it does not rain. In which case, no go, no show. :(
OldSpice

Postby Scotty Dugg » Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 am

71NotOut wrote:My MOT is booked for a week tomorrow (earliest they could fit me in).

Fingers crossed everything is good for Braemar.

I am going to reproof my roof this week and get a fresh coat of wax on her.

Let us know if it passes :D

OldSpice wrote:Weather long range looks promising so far......
In which case, SWMBO has "sanctioned", after much sweet talking & persuasion, to "allow" me to remove her Hardtop...for the day. :cry:
In which case, I can "sport" a rather natty Arctic blue hood cover, and actually hear that SS Zorst as it should be. :lol:
If...only it does not rain. In which case, no go, no show. :(

Knowing out luck it'll rain! :lol:
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery