Retro or no go?

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Do we stay Retro and keep the hardtop silver or respray it?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Retro
75%
No Go
25%

Total votes : 4

Retro or no go?

Postby paulfhome » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:35 pm

OK, so here is the thing, now we have the nice shiny "New" car to replace our sadly deceased one, one of the parts salvaged was the old hardtop. As you can see the original was silver. The new one Razor blue. The original intent was to put the old top on as weather protection till the spring then, over the summer respray it razor blue. BUT, we kind of like it like this, to me it is retro and very reminiscent of the old 60's convertibles. Beloved has put it to the vote on Facebook, with an overwhelming response to keep the two tone look, so we will. but I just thought I would "Rattle the cage" in here and see what the concensus was

Last edited by paulfhome on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulfhome

Re: Retro or no go?

Postby OldSpice » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:09 pm

I voted leave it as is. It reminds me of my Dad's Duo-tone Singer Gazelle! Your alloys kinda balance it out.
I'd say save the money frankly and put the cash towards getting a professional chassis clean/protection job done.
To be precise, I'm not talking a surface spray over...but £400 or £500.00's worth if invasive injections and every centimetre of chassis surfaces...including inside the wishbones, behind liners etc. (mine rotted out)
Each their own though.
Car is a blinding corker by the way.
They just don't happen often like that any more.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Yes only worry about the hardtop colour after the rusty bits are sorted as robin advises.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby paulfhome » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:53 pm

At the moment, no rusty bit's. car is mint with 22k miles only, FSH and has been garaged a real find!. But yes we will be rust protecting it, Plan to keep this one till we simply can't get in it any more
paulfhome

Postby drumtochty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 am

Have you as yet looked inside the sills with a boroscope it is unlikely it is clean in there unless you are very lucky.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Scotty Dugg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Much prefer a colour coded hardtop here, sorry!
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby paulfhome » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Scotty, no need to apologise, it's all down to personal preference. To be honest there wasn't a question in our minds that the top was going to be resprayed till we put it on, and decided we liked it two tone!. Still got some work to do though, the top is more worn than the car so will get a refresh and polish over the summer but, as others have pointed out, priorities are getting the underside and sills future proofed.
On a different vein we have decided not to swap out the factory stereo for the more modern set head unit we had in the last car, much more versatile but does look out of place in there. I'm thinking of adding an MP3 unit to the disc changer socket, as sold by mx5 parts. I'd be interested if anyone has any experience of this unit, or knows of something better? I'd like MP3 AND Bluetooth but the audiolink seems to be an either/or situation and the only other ones I've seen are cheap Asian units that have lots of bad reviews for reliability.
paulfhome

Postby Scott_J » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Keep the Lotus Elan +2 coupe colour scheme .
Scott_J

Return to Photo Gallery