1995 1.8 Roadster turbo Hillclimb/sprint project

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

1995 1.8 Roadster turbo Hillclimb/sprint project

Postby fealscott » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Hello everyone,

Just recently came across this mx5 Scotland forum, so thought it would be a good idea to share my project with you all. After owning a few different Mk1 mx5s in various guises I decided it was the perfect car to build into a competitive hillclimb/sprint car to compete in the Guyson Scottish Sprint and Hillclimb Championship.
So I began my search for a reasonably clean mk1 1.8 base platform to start with, I wanted something that was standard and not messed around with that was maybe needing a bit of tlc. Soon after searching gumtree every week I came a cross a 1995 g-ltd 1800 import on for sale in Falkirk, so made the journey down and bought it there and then. The car itself was very clean underneath, mechanically sound, and just been motd. The only downside was that it had been resprayed at some point in a different shade of blue, and the outer sills had been repaired before but not painted over so were showing some signs of surface rust. Anyway after haggling a little I paid £900 for the car and drove it the 3 and a half hours back up the road with the roof down enjoying the sun.
heres some pictures of the car when I got it and when I got it home
on the drive home the car developed a horrible grinding noise from the gearbox so first thing I did was get the car up on axle stands and give it a full check over.
I then made a start stripping it down ready for the engine to come out, I was now going to have to change the gearbox so decided not to mess about and picked up a 6 speed and 3.6 diff from a mk2.5 sport, I decided to remove the engine as I had to fit the coolant reroute which is right at the back of the engine and I had to drill the sump for the oil return, which I wasn't prepared to do with the sump on the engine
I started ordering parts before I had the car so had a few goodies sitting waiting to go on including this full Cusco 7 point rollcage which I came across on ebay by chance this was easy to fit but took a bit of time drilling the holes through the floor and getting underneath with the spreader plates bolting it in. excuse the rusty floor plate, some water must have dripped down under the carpet at some point, so just removed it.
quick pic of the 6 speed, I managed to get it and the 3.6 diff for £300 plus my torsen diff, so I will be putting an atb insert into the 3.6 before it goes back on the car

some more goodies arrived in the form of some cobreau club sport seats and schroth 6 point racing harnesses, and some jfab mounts to get them into the car nice and low. the seats feel really good and for refrence anyone fitting them they are the smaller size that they come in. this is important as the passenger side is tight against the door card but the door does close. Both these seats weigh less than one of the stock g-ltd seats ive removed, also ive removed all the carpets and sound deadening from the car as per the regs for sprinting

on other news, more exciting for me my garage is just finished so ive got somewhere to store and work on this car now. gone are the days of removing engines in my driveway in the dark rainy Scottish weather
I'm still gathering tools as I go but got pretty much all the basics, even picked up a hydraulic press which is about to come in very handy in my next phase of modifications to this car :P
and also picked up a sealey diesel/kerosene heater just in time for winter

had some time to work on the car with being off work for Christmas and new year, so I ordered some alcantara fabric and some spray glue from ebay to retrim the tired looking door cards.
in the process ive removed the door speakers, wiring and electric window wiring as I will be converting to manual windows because racecar.
forgot to take photos when doing the work but heres some before and after pics to show the difference. took about an hour to do both and then I left them to dry overnight.
please excuse the Halfords special steering wheel that came on the car
some more parts arrived aswell including new gear shift boot and seals, xtd stage 4 clutch and lightweight flywheel, coolant reroute and IL Motorsport Harder engine mounts.
I already had the engine out so I got straight on with fitting some of the parts, I was amazed at the weight difference between the two flywheels and I also removed the air con, charcoal canister and some other unnecessary gubbins from the car.
Coolant reroute was very easy to fit once the engine is out, I used rvt to make sure it was sealed up before going back in
clutch and flywheel went on next flywheel was cleaned up with degreaser before the clutch went on
and then I took the sump off and got a local engineering shop to drill and tap it in for me as I never had the correct size drill bit. they did a great job and ive put a nut on the back for peace of mind.
that means that the engine and box are now ready to go back in and waiting on the next load of parts to arrive, hint hint they're shiny
fealscott

Re: 1995 1.8 Roadster turbo Hillclimb/sprint project

Postby IanH » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Good thread, thanks for sharing.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Yes good work.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby fealscott » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:30 pm

drumtochty wrote:Yes good work.

I believe it wasn't fixed until the mk2
fealscott

Postby Scotty Dugg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Welcome to the forum, good to see another build thread well under way.

Interested to see how you get on with a turbo on the hillclimb circuit, I'll need to come spectate if you're ever down this way.

Any restrictions on weight saving? Do you know what wheel configuration you'll go for?
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Enjay » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Welcome. Interesting project. Good pictures too.
Enjay

Postby fealscott » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Scotty Dugg wrote:Welcome to the forum, good to see another build thread well under way.

Interested to see how you get on with a turbo on the hillclimb circuit, I'll need to come spectate if you're ever down this way.

Any restrictions on weight saving? Do you know what wheel configuration you'll go for?

you can remove weight from outside of the wheelbase, but the car must remain to have the sillouette of an mx5 from the outside ie you can add any spoilers or downforce etc.

im going for some 15" rota gt3s as i have a set already in the garage and there nice and light.
fealscott

Postby fealscott » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:31 pm

got some more work done on the car as the exhaust turned up, its a k-tuned downturned backbox and I got the 2.5" stainless steel pipes and hangers from 304stainlessexhaustparts.com costing £119 and the back box was £100. I could have got a cheaper back box but this one sounded the best from clips I heard on youtube, its mostly used on Hondas.

tacked up and on the car

next i got the car up on axle stands again and began to strip down the underneath to be rebuilt (even got the girlfriend to sweep out my garage) having problems with dust with the bare concrete blocks going to have to paint it soon.

ordered some Tetrosyl Tetroseal, some silver hammerite for the diff, new ball joints, trackrod ends, wheel bearings, camber bolts, rear hub bolts and floflex polybush kit and got to work

fealscott

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Busy, Busy Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Scotty Dugg » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 am

Anymore updates on this?

Facebook group "Scottish Sporting Car Club" may be of interest to you, they do Autosolo events, I'm thinking of giving it a shot (if my car proves reliable).
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Photo Gallery