Crathes Castle

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Crathes Castle

Postby gilly » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Anyone else been to Crathes Castle just out of Banchory way up them thar hills in the north? If you go from the Dundee side come off the A90 and head for Fettercairn and Strachan B974.....beautiful scenery and perfect roads for 5's...went up today, sun splitting the trees, wind in your hair, flies in your teeth....ye cannae whack it!! :P
gilly

Postby Colin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Gilly, this is the famous Cairn O'Mount road which regularly forms part of an official or unofficial run by the North Scotland members ... and is part of my regular commute to where my partner lives up north.

Incidentally, my first date with my partner 2 years ago was at a Status Quo concert ... in the grounds of Crathes Castle, without doubt the best first date I've ever had! :D
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby Malc » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:25 pm

A little off topic.
I saw the "Quo" at the Apollo in 1976 - that's 30 years ago. :shock:

I wish I had known about that Crathes Castle gig.

Back on topic.
I've done the Cairn o' Mount hundreds of times (well dozens) - on a motorbike and in a car.
Not in a 5 yet. :roll:
Malc

Postby Colin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Malc wrote:I've done the Cairn o' Mount hundreds of times (well dozens) - on a motorbike and in a car.
Not in a 5 yet. :roll:

Come on my run next year ... say no more! :wink: :wink:
Cheers
Colin
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby Reaper » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:47 am

Gilly, I stayed there once - well, in the sawmill cottage actually. Was taking part in an archaeological dig nearby and we'd rented the cottage as our (unfurnished) base. We had genuine Army camp beds too.

I haven't driven it in my 5 either but used to take the dig's Transit crewbus that way - great fun.

Will look out for the run, Colin
All our times have come...

Mk3.5 Silver 1.8
Reaper
OC Member
Alan Russell

Re: Crathes Castle

Postby Kuszpit » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Live about 1 mile in the town of laurencekirk which is where you may come off the A90. its a great road :)

Also the road from Laurencekirk to Inverbervie over the Garvock hill is good fun for a short road :)
Kuszpit

Postby Colin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Well, this thread is a blast from the past ... and my partner is now my wife! She's moved down to Dundee, so we only do the Cairn O'Mount when visiting her folks.

In fact we tended to leave the A90 at the Edzell junction or at a couple of small turn-offs shortly thereafter - all roads lead to Fettercairn!

Keep an eye on the Events area of this Web site. Both the Grampian and Tayside areas are likely to do runs at some stage which come fairly close to Laurencekirk.
Cheers
Colin
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby tjay » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Gilly, like most Tay5liders down it loads of times over the years, motorbike,cars,trucks and more than a few times in coaches full of school kids.
Checked up on this years times being over it and it's 6 !! But bet Eddie has been over more time than anybody else as he live half way up !! or is that doon!! he can decide.
No doubt it will feature again during nexts years hot summer days when sun is shining and roof down !! awe well we can dream eh!! roll on next year. :D :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Scottish Drives