all the way to Cumbernauld

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

all the way to Cumbernauld

Postby hold on tight » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:06 am

Well, I hadn’t had the MX5 out since picking it up a couple of weeks ago. I was away at a Wales all last weekend, so that has pushed things back a bit. Anyway, I’ve had the body kit off to see what the cills were like behind the plastic, and actually they’re OK. They’re a bit rusty obviously, but I had been prepared for worse on a 14-year old Mazda.

I also had to replace the wiper block on the driver’s side (the white plastic block which carries the wiper spindle through the front scuttle.) That was £25 from the dealer which wasn’t too bad as dealer prices go, but they might have included the wee plastic socket which the ball joint clips into.

So with everything back together again, and the cills thick with Waxoyl, I decided it was time to give the current Mrs McRae thrill, and took her for lunch. With the skies graying, and with me being the stubborn traditionalist type who refuses to put the hood up except in a dire emergency, we didn’t go very far, - the Garden Centre at Cumbernauld. Yes, I know, - it’s hardly Paris – Peking

I don’t know if this really justifies being in the Classic Scottish Road Drives section, - all the way to Cumbernauld. And back! But it was our first drive together in the car so it’s notable for that reason.

Ian
hold on tight

Re: all the way to Cumbernauld

Postby JimF » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:22 am

As long as it puts a smile on your faces it doesn't really matter where you drive in your MX5 :D
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:41 am

Hold on Tight

Sorry to the bearer of bad news but is highly unlikely the rust on the sills is not coming from the inside to the outside, rather than just a case of the paint coming off and needing rubbed down and repainted.

It's likely that the sill or both sills if they are both rusty will probably need replaced soon but as you say the car is 14 years old so that is a cheap price to pay for a fun car.

More importantly has the engine undertray been removed and the front chassis rails inspected for corrosion outwith the MOT.

An MOT tester is not allowed to remove any part of a car including wheeltrims to check for rust or safety items in place.

At the spring Grampian Tech day a MK2 that had recently passed it's MOT and a month or so later another recently MOT'd Mk2 both had major corrosion in the chassis rails and this is the part of the structure that protects occupants on a head on collision.

I hope you find your chassis rails are in good condition and you can enjoy being out in the car with the top down.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby hold on tight » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi Eddie,

Yeah, I know they tend to rust from the inside, but I binned the wee crappy plastic insert fittings which held the cill covers in place, and drilled out the holes to take rivnuts & cap screws, and from drilling out the holes, I could see the metal seemed pretty strong. So I think they are in quite good nick. A task over the Christmas holidays is to get the Waxoyl sprayed inside the cills. I could have take the time to do it just now, but I'd had the car two weeks, and had hardly driven it.

So on the basis that it had lasted 14 years, another few weeks won't kill it, we took it it out for a drive. Only just got back as the rain was coming on, so timed it quite nicely.
hold on tight

Return to Scottish Drives