Glen Coe - Applecross - Lochinver

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Glen Coe - Applecross - Lochinver

Postby Sprockutt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm organizing a road trip for myself and a mate and after much research have booked our over night stays. I will be setting off on Friday October 18th from Central Scotland travelling up to Glen Coe picking up my mate at the Clachaig and then up to the Bealach na Ba and Applecross.

Next morning we set off and head up to the Geopark region in the North West for some driving with an overnight stay booked in Lochinver.

I know we really can't go far wrong when it comes to good roads up where we are heading. But is there any particular roads/stops we should be aiming to take in? I'm already thinking about The Dukes Pass on the way up to Glen Coe but apart from the Bealach na Ba and our overnights our plans aren't set in stone.

Any suggestions welcome.
Sprockutt

Re: Glen Coe - Applecross - Lochinver

Postby Disky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Been up to Applecross on the bike,, The pass is one of the most beautiful sights i have ever seen,,, great choice
Disky

Postby tjay » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi Sprockett, follow the road to Poolewe from Applecross,then onto Aultbea past Griunard isle, the road and scenery all the way around to Ullapool is breathtaking as is the road up to Lochinver !! enjoy the roads but watch out for the deer and the daft bloody sheep !! lol !! :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Tuglet1963 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 pm

When you have passed Ullapool to get to lochinver I would try the Achiltibuie road and then turn right after Stac Pollaidh onto the coast road to lochinver from the south. This is one of Scotland's craziest roads. Also recommend stopping at the bookshop just before you get to inverkirkaig whilst you are on this road - great coffee shop at the bookshop.
My favourite part of Scotland!!
Tuglet1963

Postby RichandMo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm

My choice would be - Glencoe A82 to the Corran - Ardgour Ferry, Ferry crossing onto the A861 up to Lochailort, A830 turning off onto B8008 and up the coast before re-joining the A830 at Morar and onward to Mallaig, from here ferry to Armadale in Skye then take A851 and turn off onto the A87 up to Broadford Airfield where you turn right taking the road to Kylerhea, another Ferry crossing (last one) to Gleneig, from here onto the A87 at Shiel Bridge up to Kyle of Loachalsh, scoot across to Plockton then head to Achmore and the A890, then its the Belach na Ba and Applecross. Coast road round to Sheildaig is worth a drive after that its A896 onto the A832 through Poolewe and up to Ullapool via A835. From here its onwards and upwards to the turn off for Achiltibuie and the Summer Isles before heading to Lochinver and the B869 coast road through Stoer and Drumbeg eventually ending up at the Kylesku Hotel for afternoon tea... lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's what I call a drive :shock:
RichandMo
OC Member
Richard Parker
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby RichandMo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:50 pm

My choice would be - Glencoe A82 to the Corran - Ardgour Ferry, Ferry crossing onto the A861 up to Lochailort, A830 turning off onto B8008 and up the coast before re-joining the A830 at Morar and onward to Mallaig, from here ferry to Armadale in Skye then take A851 and turn off onto the A87 up to Broadford Airfield where you turn right taking the road to Kylerhea, another Ferry crossing (last one) to Gleneig, from here onto the A87 at Shiel Bridge up to Kyle of Loachalsh, scoot across to Plockton then head to Achmore and the A890, then its the Belach na Ba and Applecross. Coast road round to Sheildaig is worth a drive after that its A896 onto the A832 through Poolewe and up to Ullapool via A835. From here its onwards and upwards to the turn off for Achiltibuie and the Summer Isles before heading to Lochinver and the B869 coast road through Stoer and Drumbeg eventually ending up at the Kylesku Hotel for afternoon tea... lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's what I call a drive :shock:
RichandMo
OC Member
Richard Parker
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby liathach » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:14 pm

It's a very good route, that's why Richard posted twice!!!!! :D
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby Sprockutt » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks guys for taking the time to pass on your tips of what roads to seek out. Will check out all the suggestions and plan our route before we set off.

I'm really looking forward to the trip and getting a chance to enjoy the wee car. I'll be sure to stop and take some pics along my way and post them with a write up when I get back. :D
Sprockutt

Postby HowardB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi there - have a look at the thread I have just updated, with my trip and photos: sounds very similar to your plan.

Cheers, Howard
HowardB

Postby Sprockutt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:35 pm

What a stunning and awe inspiring country we live in. Oh and what brilliant wee cars we are all lucky enough to own. :wink:

Over the years I've seen a fair bit of Scotland and the Highlands. The last couple of years I've been to Glen Coe,walked into the Hidden Valley and climbed the Pap. I've also done some mountain biking at Rothiemurcus near Aviemore and also down in Dumfries and Galloway. All very enjoyable experiences with beautiful scenery.

However I'm just back from my first experience of Applecross and the Geopark region of the North West Highlands in my car. What a wonderful experience. This time of year is probably the best time to experience this region with a touring holiday. Scenery that must be jaw dropping all year round is simply awesome (justified for once) in the Autumn months. Added to this the roads are even quieter than normal with fewer tourists.

I took lots of photographs on my tour. Most of them inevitably had my car in them but I also took a few landscape and panoramic pics. They can be seen here...http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprotty/sets/72157636771843486/ but I've included most of the best ones below.

It all started with a bit of excitement in Glen Coe. The cars in front of me started slowing and then stopping. Turned out the Police had set up a roadblock. Everyone then started getting out of their cars to see what the hell the noise was. It turned out to be a Chinook which flew overhead on the way to the scene ahead. It disappeared for a couple of minutes and then rose back into the sky airlifting another helicopter beneath it. Not something you see every day...

A couple of pics of the car in Glen Coe...

When we finally arrived at the Bealach Na Ba it was just starting to get dark. This turned out to be perfect as the gloomy light just made scenery even more dramatic. The other benefit of the twilight run is that you could see other cars coming way in the distance...

Getting very dark by the time we arrived at our 'Hobbit Hut' at the Applecross Campsite...

A rainy start to the Saturday morning but it soon cleared up...

Outside the Applecross Inn...

We listened to some advice of folk that had previously toured the area and they suggested that rather going back down the Bealch Na Ba. We should head round the Peninsula on our way to Lochinver...

ImageImage

The road to Lochinver from Ullapool is stunning and not to be missed...

Checking out the view...

When we arived at Lochinver the guy who ran the excellent Tigh Na Sith B&B advised checking out Achmelvich beach. So I grabbed my camera and drove up yet another beautiful road to see scenes like this...

On the way home...

The only way we could keep up with these guys heading over the Tomintoul - Braemar road on the long way home...

All in all a brilliant weekend and the MX5 didn't miss a beat. We were subject to some mixed weather but it really just added to the experience and we still managed to have the hood down for the majority of the weekend.

If anyone is planning a driving weekend at any point then do yourself a favour and head to Applecross and Lochinver and the Geopark region. Apart from the driving the Applecross Inn is one of the best in Scotland. Very welcoming with excellent food, a nice atmosphere and Ale's and Whisky. Same goes for Lochinver with the excellent Lochinver Larder (Pies must be tried as part of the trip.) The Caberfeidh was excellent for dinner and drinks as well with a selection of local real ales and a Whisky Menu. What more can you ask :D
Sprockutt

Postby Laverda 3ce » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Excellent pictures and trip report there. I've done this route many times on bikes and in cars, reading this makes me want to plan doing it again.
Thanks for sharing
Laverda 3ce
OC Member
Sandy Smith
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby tjay » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi Great post, cracking photo's too, brought back a lot of memories !! like Sandy said great roads did it in cars and motorbikes and in an old bone shaker of a land rover in the winter lol !!
Glad that you enjoyed the trip too, thanks for sharing it with us. :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby slartibartfast » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Great pics and post.

Had a fab weekend up there earlier in the year.
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby Weemaz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:50 pm

Just completed the north coast 500. Absolutely fantastic trip. Travelled to Inverness then Applecross pass, loch Torridon to Ullapool . Next day lochinver along the coast through Durness to Wick. Next day down East Coast to Inverness. Don't forget to check the beach out at Sandwood bay. 1200 miles covered in weemaz what a star .
Weemaz
OC Member
Andrew Kyle
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Scottish Drives