Scottish Road Trip?

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Scottish Road Trip?

Postby HowardB » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi - I an MX-5 OC member, living in Leeds, and have about 5 days for a trip up north. Am looking for deserted roads, maybe islands, without having to do massive miles. Was wondering about Bute/Kintyre/Arran . . . . ferries pretty pricey though. Any advice or suggestions welcomed!

Thanks in advance . . .
HowardB

Re: Scottish Road Trip?

Postby IanH » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:28 am

Howard, take your pick out of this lot, some fantastic roads (including the Bealach na Ba) and only one Ferry

http://goo.gl/maps/CiNRN
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby aging eejit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Howard,

Enjoy your trip...but as Ian says, miss out on Bealach na Ba at your peril. Best day out in the car I've ever spent.

Cheers
Alex :)
aging eejit

Postby IanN » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Bealach na Ba (Scotland's Stelvio Pass) = The best MX-5 road in Britain and to top it of you can then go to the Applecross Inn for an excellent lunch :)

http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/

http://youtu.be/ybzZP2FdiXs
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby HowardB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks for the replies, B an B is 450 miles from Leeds! As I said, I was more looking at the Arran area. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Howard
HowardB

Postby IanH » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 am

You'll miss out on some fantastic roads further north, more likely to be less busy, it will give you something to aim for on your next trip :D

This will give you some options around the South West http://goo.gl/maps/1KqLO

Never been to Arran but hopefully someone here can comment, ferry from Ardrossan to Campbeltown would mean you could do the Kintyre peninsula either way, Campbeltown itself is not very interesting.

Central owners seem to like the Dukes Pass ( http://goo.gl/maps/5YxYe ) so worth trying to fit that in
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:12 am

Lived on Arran for 6 years. We had a house in Pirnmill. It's OK from a scenic point of view, but forget a good Mx5 Drive, ironically due to tourists who are essential to the island's economy and made hugely welcome. The run over the String Road is spectacular, as are the palm trees in Lamlash! Watching the basking sharks from the hills behind Pirnmill was anice pastime.
Expensive ferries, and expensive when you get there. I'd go on a holiday to Arran anytime, but not for the "driving experience". Cycle clubs & groups can be a nightmare.
I'd give it a miss tbh, and concentrate on the north west "circular"...only you will have the 27.89 mph caravans & silver Zafiras complete with roof boxes from Essex etc to contend with. :lol:
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby HowardB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Hmm, guys now I'm really tempted to just go for broke and head up to Bealach . . . . If you're going to do something you might as well do it properly . . .
HowardB

Postby IanH » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm

HowardB wrote:Hmm, guys now I'm really tempted to just go for broke and head up to Bealach . . . . If you're going to do something you might as well do it properly . . .

Bealach, fantastic road if it's clear (I.e not cloudy), fantastic and challenging if it isn't :lol:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby IanN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:35 am

HowardB wrote:Hmm, guys now I'm really tempted to just go for broke and head up to Bealach . . . . If you're going to do something you might as well do it properly . . .

You wont be disappointed, have fun.
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby crian » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm

hi! would recommend going to Gourock - Ferry McInroys Point- Hunters Quay- then on to Oban...Fab drive, and very scenic- with a good mix of road- you pass by Botanic Gardens- great stop off point... :)
crian
crian

Postby HowardB » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks!
HowardB

Postby HowardB » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:29 am

So, the route is planned:

Day 1 Leeds to Mallaig, via Loch Lomond and Strontian
Day 2 Skye
Day 3 Applecross and Bealach na Ba
Day 4 More around above area, and start thinking about heading home, maybe heading towards Duke's Pass for that night.
Day 5 back in Leeds

Setting off on Friday and am very excited indeed. Even the weather looks kind on the long range forecast.
Will take my decent camera and try to post some good pictures.
HowardB

Postby Macscorcher » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:47 am

If ur heading to Skye I can HIGHLY recommend crossing this way rather than the bridge great roads either side, supporting the local community & a brilliant experience ! Not to be missed !

http://www.skyeferry.co.uk/

Here's a pic of us using it last year !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373708750.445319.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373708802.377970.jpg

Bob
Macscorcher

Postby IanN » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:31 am

Looks like a fabulous trip, you'll have a great time. Let us know how you got on when you get back.
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Excellent choices there, look forward to hearing about it after :D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby HowardB » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:30 pm

Had an amazing 5 day trip in scorching weather!

Just sorting out some photos etc, but this is a quick test to see if I've worked out Photobucket!

HowardB

Postby HowardB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi all

Many thanks for the advice and suggestions: I had an amazing trip in July, 1166 miles roof down, and 5 days of blazing sunshine!

Brief route was:
Day 1
Leeds to Glasgow, then along Lock Lomond, through Glen Coe to Corran for the ferry to Ardgour. On to Strontian, Salen and then north via Lochailort to Mallaig.
From Glen Coe onwards the scenery and roads were fantastic!

Day 2
Ferry to Skye, then lots of exploring around The Cuillin Hills. The road to Elgol especially, and views from Elgol itself, were jaw dropping. On to Dunvegan for overnight.

Day 3
Over to north east corner of Sky, A87 to Uig, then A855 all along the coast including Staffin and Portree before crossing over the bridge back to the mainland. Again, staggeringly beautiful views all over Skye, amazing mountains and deserted roads.

On the mainland, along to Stromferry, Strathcarron, Lochcarron and over the (awe-inspiring and frankly terryifing, if taken at speed!) Bealach Na Ba pass to camp in Applecross. Followed by another up and down the pass after dinner!

Day 4
Early morning up to the pass and back again to Applecross, then north to Fearnmore before picking up the A896 again and retracing through Stromferry and onto the A87 along Loch Duich, Loch Cluanie and Loch Garry to Invergarry, then A82 all the way to overnight at Crianlarich. Yet again, beautiful scenery and deserted roads.

Day 5
Headed east along the A85, then south on the A84, turning off at Callander for a couple of runs up and down the Duke's Pass to Aberfoyle. Finally headed towards Edinburgh then back home via the lovely A68 and the (less lovely) A1.

Wow. Hard to pick a highlight out of all that. Pretty much all the roads were very quiet, beautiful and fun to drive. Bealach Na Ba was amazing and a bit scary. The Duke's Pass was well worth finding, as it was like a long, technical Speed Hillclimb! Shame there were cars coming the other way! The mountains of Skye and constant views of other islands in the sunshine were unbeatable. All in all, the best trip I've had in any car. My Mark 1 still amazes me: from flying round Blyton racetrack in June, brakepads burning, to long-distance touring, it was faultless.

Some photos:
L=http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/HowardMB/media/IMG_3107_zps0232b6fe.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
ImageImage
HowardB

Postby IanN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:32 am

Brilliant pictures. You've now driven on some of the very best MX-5 roads in Britain, now you've experienced it I bet you'll be back for more.
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Laverda 3ce » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 am

Good report and great pics Howard. :)
I'm glad you managed to drive these roads with the weather in your favour.
As Ian says I bet you will return to these and other roads in the Highlands that the MX5 was built for. :wink:
Laverda 3ce
OC Member
Sandy Smith
MX-5 OC Club Member

Next

Return to Scottish Drives