Helensburgh->Lochgilphead->Oban

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Re: Helensburgh->Lochgilphead->Oban

Postby PMarley » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 pm

I have driven the A82 and the A87, both have stunning scenery but the roads are not really my idea of MX5 type roads.

Another option if you don't mind using ferries would be to take a very short ferry ride from the A82 over to the A861 from Corran to Ardgour and then go the long way (clockwise) around the A861 which is an awesome road. This comes out onto the A830 which goes to Mallaig where the ferry runs to Skye.
2012 MX-5 2.0L Sport Tech, True Red
PMarley
OC Member
Phil Marley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby G-Bob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44 pm

PMarley wrote:I have driven the A82 and the A87, both have stunning scenery but the roads are not really my idea of MX5 type roads.

Another option if you don't mind using ferries would be to take a very short ferry ride from the A82 over to the A861 from Corran to Ardgour and then go the long way (clockwise) around the A861 which is an awesome road. This comes out onto the A830 which goes to Mallaig where the ferry runs to Skye.

Thanks for the response.

Doing it with about 25 other cars so keen to stay away from the ferry as it'll take forever.

In what way are they not mx5 roads? A bit bland?
G-Bob

Postby PMarley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 am

Hahaha...stay away from the Corran ferry then it is tiny.

If you are going with a large group the route is probably ideal and I am sure you will have a great time. If i am on my own or with 1 other I got out of my way to find single tack roads but with 25 cars that could be a bit of a nightmare....especially for other road users :shock: .
2012 MX-5 2.0L Sport Tech, True Red
PMarley
OC Member
Phil Marley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby G-Bob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm

PMarley wrote:Hahaha...stay away from the Corran ferry then it is tiny.

If you are going with a large group the route is probably ideal and I am sure you will have a great time. If i am on my own or with 1 other I got out of my way to find single tack roads but with 25 cars that could be a bit of a nightmare....especially for other road users :shock: .

Yeah it's a trip I help organise for the VX220 owners club. A lot of ex-owners do the weekend in their new cars and I'm still a part of the community over there, so I'll be doing it in the 5.

A lot of the folk are from down south so we try to take them the wyndyest, most picturesque roads we can. This is the first time starting from over in the west as we usually start from stirling and head over the dukes pass, round to tyndrum and over that way. Any better roads (twisty, not main roads) or routes that can be suggested leaving from helensburgh and ending up in skye would be most appreciated.

The group usually splits into smaller groups of 3-5 cars that are of a similar pace which makes it easier for overtaking and less people try silly things trying to "keep-up"
G-Bob

Postby jamiep » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:31 pm

To start with when leaving Helensburgh (my hometown) go west past the Gareloch and north towards Arrochar on the A814 - this is a legendary stretch of road amongst car clubs and bikers. Known locally as the 'Arrochar Bumps' and it's an absolute hoot, especially If you have a vanguard who can report back that the road ahead is clear! It is everything you could ask for - picturesque, windy, with some excellent humps that you can almost take off from. It's my go-to run for blasting cobwebs away, and it opens up into views of the Arrochar Alps and mountains that provide a breathtaking introduction to the Highlands. Put "Arrochar Bumps" into Youtube for clips.

Your route up the coast towards Oban is also an excellent road - good surfaces with some great twisty stuff and linking corners, especially around Kilmartin Glen north of Lochgilphead on the A816. If your group are the kind who like to stop and explore (and take photos of their cars) then there are lots of neolithic monuments and standing stones the length of that glen.

If your people are coming from down south, it would be a shame to miss out Glen Coe - a small detour east from Glencoe village onto the A82 as far as the car park at these co-ords 56.667804, -4.986564 (stick into Google Maps) would provide an excellent sample of this great glen.

Once you get further north your options are limited, but we drove a similar route to Skye in the summer and the roads were stimulating for both driver and passenger! If anyone does fancy peeling off from the group and crossing to Skye the old-fashioned way, the Glenelg car ferry (57.229096, -5.655302) is a treat. We saw seals, an otter and a white-tailed eagle on *one* crossing, and just feels like the right way to land on this awesome island (the road out of Kylerhea once you've made the crossing is a single-track hillclimb of epicness!)

Cracking journey whatever way you go tbh, you can't go far wrong.
jamiep

Return to Scottish Drives