Clatterin' Brig to Banchory

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Clatterin' Brig to Banchory

Postby dirtbiker » Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Evening all,

Just thought I'd give you a heads up (if you don't already know) on this route from Fettercairn to Banchory via Cairn 'o Mount - great road with some stunning views and well sighted corners. Quite testing on the brakes coming down the back though so make sure your pads and fluid are in good condition:

http://g.co/maps/5kyvs

I was lucky enough to enjoy this route as the first proper drive in my MX5 on the way back from Edzell to Aberdeen!

Enjoy. :D
dirtbiker

Re: Clatterin' Brig to Banchory

Postby Colin » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Yep, this is a well known and well loved route for the Tayside crew. In fact, heading beyond Banchory West to Royal Deeside or North towards Huntly can complete a fantastic drive.
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby tjay » Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi I agree with Colin, fantastic bit of road and whenyou reach banchory hang a left then take the next best bit down past Braemar,Cairnwell (ski car park ) onto Spittal of Glenshee, (for a bite to eat and a drink) down to Bridge of Cally then Blairgowrie and finally to Dundee. Brilliant run, fast,slow in any type of vehicle too,
Have done it with, a Lambretta ld 125,BSA bantam, Tiger cub. Suzuki 250gt,Kawasaki Z900, Honda Goldwing 1100,Goldwing 1500, Goldwing 1500 trike. God knows how many different cars and caravans, Vw campers,bigger campers and coaches and double deckers over last 44 years ! great memories evn when the road was crap and you had to go over the "Devils Elbow"
Far better/easier/quicker now but still a fab drive.
regards
The old road to Braemar the - Devils Elbow - now closed.jpg
The old road to Braemar the - Devils Elbow - now closed.jpg (14.01 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby dirtbiker » Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Ah yes, I've read about the 'Devil's Elbow' on Wikipedia - sad that I never got a chance to drive it!

I'll look into a drive up that way then - last time I was there it was all rather snowy so the Audi with it's Quattro system was the weapon of choice!
dirtbiker

Return to Scottish Drives