Visit Scotland - must see's?

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Visit Scotland - must see's?

Postby el camino » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:09 am

The very long wanted jorney to Scotland is about to happen next week.
I will be flying now from Bulgaria to London, Cheltenham and then heading to Edinburgh, like must see place number one this time of the year:).
What would you recommend as must see, when in Scotland? I will have a week time, so any idea will be highly appreciated!
Would be happy to meet some of you guys over there as well!

Btw. managed to only book hotel for two nights in Edinburgh. Everything else, anywhere else is full? Is that for real, are there problems to be expected with finding a hotel?

Best regards,
Vlad
el camino

Re: Visit Scotland - must see's?

Postby IanH » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:34 am

el camino wrote:The very long wanted jorney to Scotland is about to happen next week.
I will be flying now from Bulgaria to London, Cheltenham and then heading to Edinburgh, like must see place number one this time of the year:).
What would you recommend as must see, when in Scotland? I will have a week time, so any idea will be highly appreciated!
Would be happy to meet some of you guys over there as well!

Btw. managed to only book hotel for two nights in Edinburgh. Everything else, anywhere else is full? Is that for real, are there problems to be expected with finding a hotel?

Best regards,
Vlad

Vlad, hope you enjoy your visit. In Edinburgh it's Festival time so very difficult to get hotel rooms!
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby el camino » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 am

Thanks Ian! I am looking forward to see the festival!
I managed to find hotel close to Edinburgh (it was not an easy job). It is so far impossible to find one on the coutryside.
I am willing to believe, that simply driving down the roads, there are many hotels offering free room and not presented in internet...

Greets,
Vlad
el camino

Postby John H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:29 am

If you are driving and want to see the most dramatic parts of Scotland, head west and north ... the whole coastline from Oban to Ullapool is spectacular. This is holiday season in Scotland though, so all hotels are likely to be quite busy, don't assume there will be empty rooms or you might find yourself with nowhere to stay for the night. Edinburgh during the festival (ie August) is always very, very busy.
John H

Postby gm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:00 pm

which dates are you looking for a hotel in Edinburgh for ? I'll ask about and see what i can find.
gm

Postby el camino » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks for your help guys! I booked already a hotel in Edinburgh. I am planing to stay for two days there, then to head north-west.
And, this is where I cannot find accomodation ...
But I am positive about it. Cannot be so imposible to find something.
el camino

Postby John H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Where are you planning to go? ... how much do you want to spend? ... cheap hotels, medium hotels, expensive hotels?

We will try and offer some suggestions
John H

Postby liathach » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:14 pm

You may have more luck with Bed & Breakfast establishments. Good luck and enjoy the west coast. Scenery is wonderful.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby el camino » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:51 am

Hi John, and thanks again for the help offered.

I managed to book today B&B on the west side of loch ness and aprox. middle. I am planing to use this as starting point for my trips.
It is now the friday evening only open. I will be going back on sat so I guess next location have to be more to the south. I am positive for finding something resonable on the go for this day though.

Any idea of must see scenary routes at the west coast?...:)
el camino

Postby John H » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:39 am

I know everyone gravitates to Loch Ness cos of the monster and all that stuff, but it is a bit of a tourist trap and not the best Scotland has to offer. If you want a spectacular day trip from Loch ness, try the loop of road (A382) from Achnasheen to Gairloch, Poolewe and round to Ullapool. It is a fantastic driving road and the scenery is as good if not better than anywhere else on the west coast. You won't be disappointed. There are a number of hotels of all grades in Ullapool should you wish to try staying there.

On returning south from Loch Ness come south on the A82 through Ft William and through Glen Coe ... very atmospheric. Alternatively take the A828 south from Ballachulish thro Appin down to Connel, another lovely road. Lots of hotels and B&B's in Oban too.

Enjoy your trip. :D
John H

Postby IanH » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:11 pm

John H wrote:I know everyone gravitates to Loch Ness cos of the monster and all that stuff, but it is a bit of a tourist trap and not the best Scotland has to offer. If you want a spectacular day trip from Loch ness, try the loop of road (A382) from Achnasheen to Gairloch, Poolewe and round to Ullapool. It is a fantastic driving road and the scenery is as good if not better than anywhere else on the west coast. You won't be disappointed. There are a number of hotels of all grades in Ullapool should you wish to try staying there.

On returning south from Loch Ness come south on the A82 through Ft William and through Glen Coe ... very atmospheric. Alternatively take the A828 south from Ballachulish thro Appin down to Connel, another lovely road. Lots of hotels and B&B's in Oban too.

Enjoy your trip. :D

Definitely agree 100%
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby IanN » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:15 pm

This is a weekend run we did in Easter 2010. The road to Applecross is just brilliant.

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/events.php ... 373&info=y
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby el camino » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:59 am

Ian, John, I printed the routes. Thanks!!!
The trip starts in the morning.
el camino

Postby el camino » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 am

Being in the middle of the Tatoo & Fringe week in Edinburgh, with no rainy day, I got the impression, this is my number one city in Europe. Might be wrong, but will be definetelly coming back for evidences:).
Love the people!
Love the landscapes & streets!
Did the suggested route. Maybe the brightest memory from Scotland at the moment:). Big thanks again for it and all the help!

Most impostant of all, the feeling for more is there. Hope to be able to visit Scotland again.
el camino

Postby John H » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:15 am

Haste ye back! :wink:
John H

Postby el camino » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:23 am

Hope to happen soon:)....
el camino

Return to Scottish Drives