No power to radio

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

No power to radio

Postby slartibartfast » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Before I start ripping things apart I thought I would call on the collective genius shown here :)

I have a 1999 Mk II 1.6

I fitted a decent Kenwood I had to replace the Clarion which came with the car. All has been well untill yesterday when it died.

I assumed the radio had simply packed up ..or hopeflly the fuse had just gone.

I removed the radio, checked the fuse in the radio whch was fine. I plugged in the old radio to see if there was power to the plug ... and it as dead too.

Surely it must be the 10A Fuse 8 in the fusebox in the drivers side .... errrr no ... that fuse was fine too.

Soooo It looks like no power to the radio but the fuses are OK. I haven't put a multi-meter into the plug to double check it's not a duff pug (which seems unlikely) I'll have to have a look and see which coiour of wires are live & neutral. Is there another fuse to check ?

Anybody had the same problem ?
slartibartfast
OC Member

Re: No power to radio

Postby 01mx5 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am

Hour did you check the fuse?

If you just 'examined' the wire, try a new fuse -sometimes they look fine but have blown. You may get lucky
BRG Limited Edition BBR Turbo
Ramsay Ashby
Admin & Developer for the National forum
01mx5
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby slartibartfast » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:45 am

I put a multimeter over them to test continuity. I'll go back over the fuses and check if there is power at the radio plug before anything more drastic.

Thanks
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby BestGear » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 am

..remember that the radio has two power feeds...one permanent and one switched with the key.

When you check the fuses, there are fuses on both feeds.

Best checked with a meter... if you dont have one (or cannot borrow one) Maplin usually have a noddy meter for about £3-£5 which is an excellent investment for wee jobs like this.

David
BestGear

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:26 pm

The fuses for a stereo power supply can be in the fuse box, on the unit itself and (less commonly these days it would seem) somewhere along the powerfeed line too (an in-line fuse). It isn't too unusual, depending on how the stereo was wired and also what was there before, for all 3 to be fitted. In fact, on some older cars that I have owned where there have been a number of previous owners and a number of previous stereos I have found a few in-line fuses along the length of the power feed line.

Anyway, so what I am saying is it's worth checking for in-line fuses too. If that comes up blank, then there is a broken connection somewhere. This could be a damaged wire, a damaged or uncoupled connector or a broken or dry solder point. You may be able to track it down but if the wire heads off into the loom before you find it, it may be tricky and you may be better off just running a new wire yourself.
Enjay

Postby BestGear » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Did you get the problem sorted?

If so, what was the cause?

David
BestGear

Postby slartibartfast » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Funnily enough I just got round to having a better look at it this afternoon.

I dug out the wiring instructions for the radio to figure out which cable went to which connection on the plug as I couldn't find a wiring diagram for a Mk11 to establish which was live / switched live / earth from the car loom colours.

Using a test meter I discovered the permanent live and switched live both were fine .... weird !. I then check the earth wire. The earth wire in the connector at the radio end did not have a corresponding wire coming from the car loom !.

OK I understood why it isn't working ..... but I don't understand how it ever worked. There are no lose wires etc so it’s a mystery to me.

There was a flying earth lead I could use which was piggy-backed into the one of the connector blocks. I connected it to earth and normal service was resumed.

Unfortunately it looks like my good Kenwood unit has in fact died (a strange coincidence ? ), so I've had to put in the "original" Clarion ... which is a horrible thing to operate.

The hunt is now on for a decent CD/Radio at a sensible cost :-)
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby BestGear » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm

slartibartfast wrote: I then check the earth wire. The earth wire in the connector at the radio end did not have a corresponding wire coming from the car loom !.

I have seen this many times on several cars - folks forget the "flying" earth and rely on the aerial outer braid to provide the earth... so they notice when the aerial is unplugged it does not work!

On my 5, I noticed that the flying earth was fixed to a self tapper that holds the front facia down to the brackets at the transmission tuinnel - needless to say, its properly fixed now.

David
BestGear

Postby slartibartfast » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 pm

NOW you tell me ! :evil: ... Just joking :D

Yes that makes sense but I still can't figure out exactly what happened to stop a previously working set-up stop in my case. I am really peed off about my Kenwood. It still all seems too coincidental.
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby slartibartfast » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Oh and I managed to disconnect another plug from the switches below the radio when I was trying to fish out the badly routed ariel cable.

Trouble is I didn't have time to figure out what it does or where it connects. I checked the fan and it's OK. Still need to check the heated rear window , haedlight adjustment (is that electric ?) and the fog light,
slartibartfast
OC Member

Return to Technical