Chassis Braces.....Needed or not??

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Chassis Braces.....Needed or not??

Postby Greg & Nic » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:13 pm

Hi folks, we've just joined here and looking forward to meeting some of you lot when we get organised. Getting our new toy this weekend and being me I'm looking to fiddle with it already. It's a 91, V Spec Roadster and is as standard as they come...apart from a boot spoiler and 15 inch wheels. I've read that the car benefits from some level of chassis bracing and just wondered to what extent and what "real" difference it makes. My plan is to fit a strut top brace (which I believe should be there on this model ...but aint). I also plan to fit a front lower cross brace and a rear lower brace. I'd like to fit a style bar too (just cos we like 'em) but our budget doesn't stretch to one that would give any sort of support...ruling out a brace behind the seats obviously. Would this level of stiffening have any real time effect on the feel of the car or would we be better spending the cash elsewhere. Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby Richardn » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:02 pm

Front strut brace makes the car more stable on rougher surfaces (NOT standard on a V-Spec)

Lower braces have a similar effect. Later models have bracing underneath as std
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Mutleyman » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:22 am

My car came with the lower rear brace alone. I fitted the front strut-top brace first and the improvement was dramatic - neutral high speed cornering with reduced sway. I then fitted the rear upper brace bar and couldn't really detect any improvement - I guess all the highest cornering forces are at the front! I then fitted the lower front bracebar and again, little discernable improvement.

So, if you want the biggest bang for your bucks, go for the front upper alone. Engineering and physics tell me that he others can only be for the better but I'm not experienced enough to feel or describe yhe difference.

Welcome aboard ....?:O)
Complex Roads ~ Simply Red
Mutleyman
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Richardn » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:58 am

Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical