Fitting a new Soft Top !!

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Fitting a new Soft Top !!

Postby scottmc5 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:24 pm

Think I might need a new soft top as there is a small leak just behind passenger door. Is it worth taking it to a Mazda dealer to see if it can be fixed (I don't want to pay several hours labour charges to be told I need a new hood) Also SDM in Falkirk quoted me ?830 for a Mk 2 tan hood fitted. This seems rather steep as a hood from Autohoods can be bought for under ?400. Does anyone know of anywhere in Scotland that fits soft tops as I have heard it is a bit of a mare to fit it DIY ??
BRG Mk 2 SE
scottmc5

Postby Si » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:32 pm

Why do you think you need a new soft top? Has the existing one shrunk or is it torn? Quite often the rubber seals can either be replaced, or manipulated back in to position, thus helping the problem.

I'm not too sure about the cost of tan tops, certainly they appear rarer. If you're not fussed about the colour and would be happy with a black one, Shing fung trading offer a mohair version for about the ?260 mark. I think they can also locate you a fitter (in Scotland) to do the work for about ?100.

Come along to the next club run and one of us can have a closer look if you want.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby scottmc5 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info Si. Shing fung do not do Mk 2 hoods yet but hope to be getting them in later this month. I hopefully will take you up on the offer to have a look at it this weekend at Dalkeith.

Scott Mc
BRG Mk 2 SE
scottmc5

Postby Si » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:20 pm

scottmc5 wrote:I hopefully will take you up on the offer to have a look at it this weekend at Dalkeith.

:oops: I'm not actually going to be able to make it this weekend... got the days muddled up.

However, I'm sure there'll be more than a handful of people willing to take a look and let you know what they think!!

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Return to Technical