Recomended Oil, Pads and Winter Tyres

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Recomended Oil, Pads and Winter Tyres

Postby neuromancer » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:30 pm

I've not long had my 5 - a Mk2 1.8s, and I'm just about to give it the first service since I got the car. What are your thoughts on Synthetic Oil for the engine? - worth it or just a waste of money.

I also think the car is going to need new front brake pads - are the "green stuff" one worth the extra. I had them on a TT and found they improved initial bite and reduced brake dust, but neither of these are particularly a problem with the 5.

Finally I know its the height of our Scottish summer :lol: , but planning ahead does anyone have Winter tyres for their 5. I'm in a relatively rural location and thought it might be worth sourcing some before winter.

thanks

Neuromancer
neuromancer

:-)

Postby loftladderman » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:33 am

Semi Synthetic 10w 40 in the engine though some I know love Magnatec.
Change filter of course too :-)
Pads: Depends on how you drive but Green stuff takes a bit of beating as an upgrade to normal road pads.
Tyres: Oh Dear.....vipers nest here :-)
Get some FI Eagles and you can hurtle the car about in ANY weather. Good alternative some will say is the Toya.
The Toyas cost HALF the price of the Eagles near enough !
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Oil

Postby Phil » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Have a look on the National forum, lots of info on oil and a lot of technical info from the 'Oilman' :o
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby neuromancer » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:58 am

Thanks all for the advice. I had been considering a set of dedicated winter tyres - I had them for a previous car and they make a tremendous difference if you have to drive in snow, but if there are some all rounders that have decent winter ability then that's even better.
neuromancer

Postby Greg & Nic » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:05 pm

I'm a bit biased as I work for Toyo Tyre UK, but as far as dedicated winter tyres are concerned they definately are worth fitting for our wet and slushy winters. I've been involved with the tyre industry for many years and it still amazes me the amount of people who use standard tyres all year round. Give the Toyo S941 a try. I'm sure you'll be impressed at the extra level of grip they give on wet / slushy / icy / snow covered roads. Most people think a "winter" tyre is just an ordinary tyre with some deeper grooves. That isn't the case at all. Toyo S941's are designed from the outset as a winter product and have a different casing and different tread compounds. If you let me know where you are I'll give you the nearest stockist (and maybe get you a bit of discount in the process).
As far as oil is concerned, I've always used Mobil 1 in any performance orientated car I've owned. It's expensive and I guess it's personal preference as to whether it's worth it though.
91 BRG V Spec....The Wee Beastie
Greg & Nic

Postby Richardn » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:09 pm

Greg & Nic wrote:As far as oil is concerned, I've always used Mobil 1 in any performance orientated car I've owned. It's expensive and I guess it's personal preference as to whether it's worth it though.

I use Mobil 1 motorsport 15w-50
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Si » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:22 am

I had a huge slidey moment on my Toyos at Haymarket today. I was taking it very easy coming back from badminton as the rain was quite heavy, but the back end let go big time. Managed to catch it and it must have just looked like a big drift, but at the moment I hate my Toyo Proxes.

I'm going to get an alignment done before I slate them further though ;) as the car's been lowered considerably and I haven't had the alignment done since.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby neuromancer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:46 am

Si wrote:I had a huge slidey moment on my Toyos at Haymarket today. I was taking it very easy coming back from badminton as the rain was quite heavy, but the back end let go big time. Managed to catch it and it must have just looked like a big drift, but at the moment I hate my Toyo Proxes.

I'm going to get an alignment done before I slate them further though ;) as the car's been lowered considerably and I haven't had the alignment done since.

Si

I noticed the roads in Edinburgh pretty slippy last night, and my car's on Michelins which are normally pretty good in the wet. Hopefully it was just the weather and not your tyres.
neuromancer

Postby Si » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:20 am

neuromancer wrote:I noticed the roads in Edinburgh pretty slippy last night, and my car's on Michelins which are normally pretty good in the wet. Hopefully it was just the weather and not your tyres.

One of my friends was saying that today as well, so hopefully it is just the weather. I can't imagine my dodgy alignment is helping much though :lol:

Si
Si

Postby Greg & Nic » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:44 am

I'll guess it was more to do with the conditions of the roads than an alignment or tyre problem. City roads are a nightmare when wet due to the anount of diesel and oil left on them by other vehicles (mainly black cabs!!). I can say with confidence that Toyo's will outgrip any other road tyre (in the wet) if tested on the same vehicle in the same conditions.(Ask the suspension and chassis designers at TVR!) (Although I would say that as I make my living selling them).
Your alignment might be causing a bit of an imbalance too though. If you've had the car lowered your alignment and possibly camber settings will be off for sure. This could have the effect of giving the front tyres a lot more "bite" on turn in....upsetting the overall balance of the car as a result.
Sorry if I'm pointing out stuff that you're already aware of but someone else might benefit also.
And stop hating yer Toyo's right now....you'll have me out of a job!!
Greg & Nic

Postby Si » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:57 am

TO put all this in to context, I used to have BF Goodrich Profiler G tyres fitted to the car. Whilst they were on, the car was lowered by about 35mm all round. Handling was superb and the BF Goodrich's lasted for about another 3000 miles.

Since changing the tyres grip in the wet has deteriotated significantly and I have noticed the car drifts slightly more when pushing hard through corners (really noticed this at Knockhill as I don't push too hard on the open road).

All things being the same, I would've expected the Toyos to be better based on the rave reviews they get from many MX-5 owners. Maybe mine have plasticised ;)

I'll give you an update after I get an alignment sorted out! Will be very interested to hear real world experiences of the TVR garage in Callander.

Si
Si

Postby Greg & Nic » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:12 pm

Si....quite concerned that you feel the tyres are giving concern. Part of my job involves the inspection of any tyres that customers feel may have a fault. I'd be happy to come and have a look at the tyres and pass the details to my technical colleague. As a company who are heavily involved with and very supportive of performance drivers, we take issues such as this fairly seriously. I'll drop you a p.m. with my moby number and I'd be happy to hear from you.
I've just recently started supplying Dreadnought in Callander with Toyo (previously they had to buy through TVR). I know that they are delighted to have a direct supply line now as the majority of TVR owners seem to prefer T1-S over either Bridgestone or Goodyear.
I don't want to sound like I'm advertising Toyo on the boards so I'll make that my last words on the issue here.
Cheers
Greg & Nic

Postby Si » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:58 pm

Greg, I'll put your kind offer on hold until after getting an alignment.

Cheers,
Si
Si

Postby boydie » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:33 pm

Si,
I've got my car booked into the tvr garage on fri 10am will let you know what they are like. Was speaking to Claire who's the service manager and also does the alignments now, she seems very clued up with the whole thing so they probably will do a good job.
boydie

Postby Si » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:31 pm

boydie wrote:.....will let you know what they are like.

I, and others, would definately appreciate that! :)

Interested in before/after handling characteristics and the settings that they used. Are you taking them Lanny's??

Si
Si

Postby sparkly » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:55 pm

Hi, was going to ask Dreadnought if any chance of a valet on the Fri - or at least use of their hot tap & bucket to top-up my own efforts! - by the time I get up from the Borders the Pocket Rocket will probably need it, and we wouldn't want to let the stand down as it's the first time we'll have been to one of these events (any tips welcomed).
I've used Dreadnought before and found them very helpful - it was back in the early 80s when I learned the hard way how to burn out a clutch :oops: got the company Sierra stuck in the grass after a picnic way up in the Bracklinn Hills. They towed me to the garage, then delivered it to Edinburgh later.
Re the tyres; mine came with Bridgestone Turanza E30 205/45 16s, and aside from a horrendous first day going sideways up hills on thick snow and therefore not trusting it for a couple of weeks, the Rocket's been just fine :D , doing 1000m+ a month on country twists & in town in all weathers. Are these tyres generally regarded as good for the car?
sparkly

Postby boydie » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:27 pm

i was thinking about using Lanny's settings but I don't know if the camber is maybe too aggressive for my everyday driving needs as it would wear the tyres unevenly. So I was thinking of using Miq millmans specs but with zero toe on the front. I've used these specs before and found it gave excellent handling but it was a bit twichy on motorways, think this was cos it had toe out. Any advice?
boydie

Return to Technical