Main Beam

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Main Beam

Postby PaulDS » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:37 pm

I have a MK 1 K reg. and recently sometimes my main beam doesn't work or there is a delay before coming on. This leaves me with only side lights.
Anyone had this problem?
What did you do to fix it?
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby graeme » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:19 pm

I could be on the wrong track, but this sounds like an intermittent problem I had, only mine was a bit more "obvious" - one headlight would raise and the other wouldn't. The point of this ramble is that it was a cracked wire and the sporadic symptoms of yours sounds like it may be the same thing.
graeme

Postby Tom » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:24 pm

When it does come on, does it flicker over bumps and such? if so a bad connection somewhere. If it's ok once it comes on, possibly a jamming relay. Not an auto-electician, so it's a guess! Needs to be tested when not working, unless there's a common fault that one of our MXperts know about.

Tom.
Tom

Postby PaulDS » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:33 pm

Headlights always pop up and no problem with dipped headlights, once mainbeam does come on it stays on, I just don't seem to identify a common trigger for the fault.
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:36 am

Looked at the wiring diagram. The headlight relay operates both lights and coil to operate retractor relay, so it's not any of the relays. So the problem lies either at the Hi/Lo headlight switch or somewhere on the red/white wire between there and bulb. Do you have 'flash to pass' if so, does that operate when your main beam isn't working? That being the case I'd be looking at the hi/lo switch.
Do you have a wiring diagram? Can scan and send if needed.
Tom

Postby PaulDS » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:52 am

Thanks Thomas,
The lights do raise when I use either the raise lights button or the stalk to flash, so I assume it's not mechanical. However when I do Flash (lights only by the way!) the dipped beam goes out and I sometimes have no lights. I do have a MX5 manual bought from MX5 parts but find it a bit confusing!!!!!!!!!
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby graeme » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:02 pm

PaulDS wrote:Headlights always pop up and no problem with dipped headlights,

Just to clarify, it's the intermittent/unpredictable nature of your problem that makes me think it might be a broken wire, not anything to do with whether your lights pop up or not - that just happened to be what was happening with mine, with no apparent reason or pattern.
graeme

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:35 pm

Wasn't suggesting it was mechanical, the 'flash to pass' bypasses the hi/lo switch, but if the high beam still refuses to come on with that, then it is the high beam cable (red and white according to Haynes). Not too good at explaining myself, sorry! Tom.
Tom

Postby Gavin-G » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:12 pm

it sounds like the hi/low stalk on the steering column ,do the simple test and wiggle the switch stalk,if the contacts are dirty or a bit worn ,the lights may flicker on and off.You could even try spraying some electrical contact spray into the switch.Failing that take the wires off the back of the switch and bridge the contacts ,this will tell you if the switch is working or not,if the lights work its the switch if they dont try the relay then follow the problem down the line.start with the switch
Gavin -G
Gavin-G

Postby PaulDS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:28 am

Thanks Guys,
Will try suggestions and let you know outcome.
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby PaulDS » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:14 am

Problem lies with the stalk somewhere.
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Return to Technical