Drain Holes

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Drain Holes

Postby Ronnie » Tue May 31, 2005 2:30 pm

Can any of you guys help me with this? Yesterday I was painting my brake callipers coz it was nice and sunny and they were in dire need of a freshen up. (painted them silver by the way). I looked down and saw fluid dribbling down on to the jack at the rear wheel. In a panic I examined what it was and it turned out that there is a drain hole in the sill which had been blocked and was now open due to me jacking the car up. I poked in mr screwdriver and the water fairly dripped out for at least 10 minutes. :cry: On looking at sill at its very lowest part I see a couple of little water blisters which spell rust. Where does this water come from? Will it have done a lot of harm? Are replacing the sills an expensive job? :cry: Any info would be appreciated. The other sill was not blocked.

Ronnie :D :D
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby PaulDS » Tue May 31, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi Ronnie,
I had the same problem a couple of years after I bought my K reg Mk1, 5 years ago. I unblocked the drains shortly after buying the car but discovered like you small blisters 3 years ago. I took it to a body shop and they said I needed new sill cost approx ?1000 providing nothing else was discovered. This scared me silly so I went to another and they said the car will need new sill eventually but since I was hard strapped at the time they would do a temp job (thorough clean out, waxoil and respray for ?100) reminding me I will have to have the work done eventually. That was 3 years ago. I noticed that tiny blisters are now starting to appear drivers side sill just infront of rear wheel, so maybe it's time for me to have the job done properly.
How old is your car?
How long have you had it?
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby Ronnie » Tue May 31, 2005 3:05 pm

Paul,

The car is an August 1998. I have had it 2 years. Your reply about the thousand quid has got me scared sh**less. Oh dear.

Ronnie :cry: :cry: :cry:
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby PaulDS » Tue May 31, 2005 5:12 pm

Ronnie wrote:Paul,

The car is an August 1998. I have had it 2 years. Your reply about the thousand quid has got me scared sh**less. Oh dear.

Ronnie :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry Ronnie,
Didn't intend to scare you, the quote I initially got I think was excessive and I am sure I will be able to find somewhere more realistic even for up here in NE where every thing is expensive. I just replied to warn you there may be a wide varience in charges, so don't despair.
Let us know how you get on.
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Drain Holes

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:20 pm

Can anybody recommend a good bodyshop in the Glasgow area to give me a realistic quote about fixing rust on sills caused by water build up inside. I have trawled forum but see nothing for Glasgow.
Ronnie :D
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby Gordon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:08 pm

Mino gave me these a wee while back, I plan to contact them soon myself, just too busy right now...
Andy used to work for George - I've used both and both are excellent.
Both body shops are within 5 minutes of the M8 (at the St James Interchange)
and about 150 yards apart!

Good luck with it
Mino

=======================================================================
George Shepherd @ Autotech [Panel Beaters]

Paisley, United Kingdom

Telephone Work: 0141 889 7345

OR

Andy @ Bodyshop

Unit 14, Greenhill Industrial Estate, Murray Street, Paisley, United Kingdom

Telephone Work: 0141 889 0099
Mobile: 07980 853 212
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

Drain holes

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:14 am

Thanks Gordon for that I will probably contact them when I come back from Kos and ask for a quote.

Ronnie :o :o
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby Si » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:50 pm

Gordon wrote:George Shepherd @ Autotech [Panel Beaters]

Based on my experience I would not recommend this company based on the quality of work produced. Great otherwise (price and polite).

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Gordon » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:21 pm

Which one Si?

Either or both?
--
Gordon
Gordon

Postby Gordon » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:22 pm

oops, I should have read it properly first :oops:

Sorry!
--
Gordon
Gordon

Drain holes and sill corrosion

Postby Mutleyman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:31 am

Please remember that the rear end of the sill is actually not the sill but the rear panel that comes down and wraps over the sill.

There are three drains on each side of the car - the furthest back is almost at the rear wheel arch and is the main drain for the roof. If this drain is clean, the water drops out under the car and that's the end to it. If this drain gets blocked, the water overflows and then drops into the sill where it should exit through the front and rear sill drains.

The front and rear sill drains are in the centre of each of the jacking points in each sill - the sill seam has a small gap which forms the drain. Given that a lot of crud gets flushed off the roof and into the drains, the sill drains get progressively narrower until they block completely. That's when you trap the water inside and acccelerate the corrosion.

George patched my rear quarter panels 2-3 years ago and they are still sound. Andy, who used to work for George, then stripped my sills down, cleaned and repainted them and (touch wood) all is still well.

The way I now check my sills is by tucking my hose down the side of the hood, just behind the door, and checking that the water flows out freely and cleanly from all the drains.

The sill drains are usually unblocked with a screwdriver - drive it in and then waggle it about to open up the hole.

The roof drain needs a long flexible rod, like a whip aerial, that you insert from the top down. This is because there is a flap valve near the bottom of the pipe and if you're not careful, you'll stop the valve from working and effectively block the drain - I think that's how I caused the damage on mine ...?:o( I guess the golden rule is always to do the water test after you've rodded the drain!

The other thing you could do for peace of mind is invest in some Waxoyl and come along to the next Techie Day - it's actually quite straight forward to pull off some trim and get access to all the internals.
Complex Roads ~ Simply Red
Mutleyman
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby kevham » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:00 am

Ronnie,
If it makes you feel any better, my car (only a few months older than yours at May 1998) has exactly the same problem - except when I poked around with a screwdriver, this is what happened:

If you find a decent bodyshop, let me know !!!!

It really does highlight the need to clear the drain holes regularly and probably an annual waxoil treatment would be worthwhile too. The previous owner of my car obviously didn't do either.....
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

drain holes

Postby Ronnie » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:32 am

Sorry for delay in replying to your informative posts guys but I've been in Kos enjoying the sun. I thank you all for the info about drain holes and piccies of rust. Haven't yet had the time to do anything about rust but will keep you posted. You know how they say bad things come in 3's. Well came back to discover that door of washing machine was broken and shower was gubbed. Oh well :( :( :(
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Return to Technical