chrome washer jets

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Postby Hardtrack » Sun May 15, 2005 9:31 am

Hairdryer Don?,what would any 5 owner have one of these for? :lol: .
I actually bought a set of these from the guy in Lancs after browsing his site( plus a few other items :oops: ).The service and speed of delivery is A1.
The only way i found to put the jets on a mk1 was................I removed them from the top by prizing a tiny flat head screwdriver under the original jet(between the rubber! and jet) gently pushing one plastic spring lug,and pull up.They came off no probs with no scratches.Seemed too awkward and fiddley from underneath so i just done it from above,being very careful.
I then taped the nut and washer to a thin screwdriver and put it in position from under the bonnet as the hole is far too small to get anything in to tighten the nut :x .While in position,just pop the jet in from above and spin the jet to tighten while holding the connecting screwdriver.When tight,just take the screwdriver and tape back out and connect the washer pipes.................simple!.This was my way of doing it,whether it be easist.........no idea :wink: but they are on,nice and tight and no paintwork damage :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby kristoff » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:26 pm

Well I followed all the tips on here and I have to say it was the least satisfying mod I've done so far :evil:

It took an hour of faffing and flapping about in the dark and damp till I finally got them connected. They do look good but everytime I deploy the bloody things the rubber elbows jump off and so consequently they are proving to be totally impractical. I even had to get Mrs Kristoff out to help, that's how bad it was.

:idea: I'd better buy some screen wipes to clean the windscreen on those warm, balmy evening drives and sultry afternoon swaree's :wink:

P*ssed off Kristoff
:(
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby Hardtrack » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:50 am

:lol: :lol: ,ah well...........i certainly never had that problem Chris.I fitted them before i put the blower in.I had to remove my screen water bottle due to a pipe in the way to fit the air intake pipe that connect the throttle body to the airflow meter .I bought a water bag made to suit old Mini's and classics, but the motor supplied was knackered so i'm in the process of waiting for a new motor through the post.So i can expect the rubber elbows to blow off? :lol:.Pic below..........the bag aint on straight as it was just a dry run to see if it fitted and i've still not fitted and relocated the new air filter and flexi pipe behind my headlight vent ,still in the shed :roll:.I need to pay more attention to the car :? ,come to think of it,i've still loads to do to it :lol: .....fit the boost gauge and pod,all my new brakes etc etc..........i'll need another shed to store the stuff i bought and never fitted due to just being far to busy,but at least i got the MSD fitted(top left below scuttle,behind servo) and the timing up to 14 so the loud pedal seems much better now :D
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby kristoff » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:24 am

Looking good big fella, see you've had rain over your way too!

Are you sure you didn't get that bag from the NHS? :wink:

BTW about this timing lark on the 1.8, how the hell did you manage to get access to the bolt to make the adjustment? I've not got a spanner long enough to reach the bolt and provide the purchase to make the adjustment :?
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby Fee » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:16 pm

kristoff wrote:Well I followed all the tips on here and I have to say it was the least satisfying mod I've done so far :evil:

It took an hour of faffing and flapping about in the dark and damp till I finally got them connected. They do look good but everytime I deploy the bloody things the rubber elbows jump off and so consequently they are proving to be totally impractical. I even had to get Mrs Kristoff out to help, that's how bad it was.

:idea: I'd better buy some screen wipes to clean the windscreen on those warm, balmy evening drives and sultry afternoon swaree's :wink:

P*ssed off Kristoff
:(

I had no problems whatsoever. I guess that just proves that the Mk 2.5 is a far superior car :D :D (Fee runs away to hide)

Fee
Fee

Postby Si » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:16 pm

kristoff wrote:They do look good but everytime I deploy the bloody things the rubber elbows jump off and so consequently they are proving to be totally impractical.[/color]

Could you get a cable tie on to keep them on tight?

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby kristoff » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:04 pm

Si wrote:
kristoff wrote:They do look good but everytime I deploy the bloody things the rubber elbows jump off and so consequently they are proving to be totally impractical.[/color]

Could you get a cable tie on to keep them on tight?

Si

Low access in the double skin of the bonnet. Maybe tiny jubilee clips will do, I'll have a look over the weekend.
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:08 pm

The space is too tight/small for either a cable tie or jubilee clip, I put a smear of superglue on the tube and quickly pushed it onto the jet. :)
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby DouglasH » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:17 pm

You could also try a heat -shrink sleeve, that way you won't damage the elbow if you have to remove again.
DouglasH

Postby kristoff » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Phil wrote:The space is too tight/small for either a cable tie or jubilee clip, I put a smear of superglue on the tube and quickly pushed it onto the jet. :)

Superglue!? Superglue!? Do you think this sort of practice is acceptable on the forum :wink:
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby Si » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:20 pm

kristoff wrote:Superglue!? Superglue!? Do you think this sort of practice is acceptable on the forum :wink:

No it isn't. Please don't mention superglue on here again.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Hardtrack » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:00 am

No probs with my movements yet Chris.......i'm only 34 :shock:,blue is much better than brown :lol: :lol:.Timing!,i never found it a prob apart from Douglas's timing gun i borrowed.. blowing up on me :shock: ,probably lack of use since the 70's :P .Anyway,managed to find the decent snap on gun when my mate came back from hols in my night haven garage(why the **** would he put the gun in the boot of a poxy Healey 3000 with an engine that smokes like a blues guitarist :roll: ?).I just used a normal 12mill(i think!),firstly i took off the plug on the cam angle sensor for access,then unloosened the nuts.The nut on the left is an elongated nut(i presume for easier access),it is easy enough to get to if u take off the CAS plug.Just jump the diagnostic box on the front left with a paper clip between ground and ten and push your CAS to the left slightly.I set the gun i used to 14 degrees,so when everything lined up on the pulley just tighten back up then check nothings moved by your marks....... then reduce your tickover from the screw on the throttle body....dead simple.I'll do it for you Chris,that would be simpler,then YOU might not need a bag :wink:........i've heard you having episodes on the phone while doing stuff to the car :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Previous

Return to Technical