Repairing plastic bumpers?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Repairing plastic bumpers?

Postby JoJo » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:54 pm

Can anyone tell me if plastic bumpers can be repaired? Someone who needs to learn how long their car is has reversed into my 5 while it was parked and left a neat towing-eye-shaped hole in the bumper. MacKay Mazda have quoted me approx ?600 plus VAT for a new rear panel. I don't want a bodge-up job, but I'm equally reluctant to shell out for the ?250 excess. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! :evil:
JoJo

Postby Keif » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:43 pm

Yup they can be - I've just had my front repaired after a neighbour's visitor reversed into my car. I took my car to both MacKay in Cameron Toll and a bodyshop in Viewforth/St Peter's place. MacKay quoted to replace both the wing and front bumper (total around ?1K) and the bodyshop quoted around ?600 for repair. It ended up in the bodyshop and overall they've done a good job. I did have to take it back as there were minor imperfections in the paint work and they hadn't replaced the front bumper correctly but they've sorted them out too. I've got some pics of the damage before the repair if you want to have a look and I can take some pics now it's been repaired if you're interested.
Keif

Postby Mutleyman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:59 am

The best man to do the job is George in Paisley - a magician when it comes to plastic repair.... ask Scott, he slid off the road into a tree trunk on one of our runs, left a huge concave hole in the nearside bumper and broke the wheelarch liner. By the time George had finished, you could not tell that anything had ever happened.

Also... his skill is not restricted to simply fixing things... George is the magician who cut my own rear bumper for the twin exhsust - the manufactured cutout and the created cutout are indistinguishable.

Mail me (or Sandy) if you want the contact details. :D
Complex Roads ~ Simply Red
Mutleyman
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby JoJo » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:23 pm

Thanks for your speedy replies :D On reflection, I've decided to bite the bullet and stump up the excess and get a replacement panel. My insurance company sent me to a coachworks in Falkirk yesterday so the parts could be listed and ordered. Booked in for 3rd August so in the meantime, no one look at the back of my car please..... Have also arranged for someone to come and drop the kerb outside my house so I can excavate a nice safe driveway for the wee car! Should have done it weeks ago! I would have preferred the car to go to K & I at Viewforth or Eskbank (they are very good) but don't have the option to choose and hopefully the coachworks will do a good job.

Jo
JoJo

Postby Richardn » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:30 pm

If it is Nationwide REFUSE TO USE THEM. They painted our MX-3 3 times before it matched :roll:

You have the right to do this I did it with my co. car
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Insurance

Postby Phil » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:30 pm

You will have the option to choose although the insurance company will not like it.
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby JoJo » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:23 pm

It IS Nationwide, Richard :shock:

I'll talk to the insurance company tomorrow and see what they say - one of the best coachworks I know of is within 10 miles of home, perhaps I can persuade them to let my car go there. I feel a dose of "Mrs Humpty" coming on....
JoJo

Postby TheBlueRaja » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:11 pm

Mutleyman wrote:The best man to do the job is George in Paisley - a magician when it comes to plastic repair.... ask Scott, he slid off the road into a tree trunk on one of our runs, left a huge concave hole in the nearside bumper and broke the wheelarch liner. By the time George had finished, you could not tell that anything had ever happened.

Also... his skill is not restricted to simply fixing things... George is the magician who cut my own rear bumper for the twin exhsust - the manufactured cutout and the created cutout are indistinguishable.

Mail me (or Sandy) if you want the contact details. :D

Can you mail me the contact details for George - i have a front bumper with a hole in it - (dont ask :oops: ) and wouldnt mind a repair if possible.

Thanks
TheBlueRaja

Return to Technical