Noisy soft top.

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Noisy soft top.

Postby steveti » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:22 pm

The mohair soft top on my 2004 mk2.5 squeaks and rattles on the back two hood support bars. Dealer claims this is 'normal soft top noise' and claims to have tightened and greased as appropriate. Top is still making the noise and driving me mad.

As a newcomer to the world of MX-5 and soft tops in general, I would have expected some additional noise, but not to this extent. Didn't do it when I took delivery only started in the past couple of months.

Any assistance appreciated.

Steve.
steveti

Postby boydie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:22 pm

My vinyl top sometimes squeaks and rattles depending on the temperature (ie cold), I think this is pretty much normal and nothing to worry about.
boydie

Postby steveti » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:11 am

Thanks Boydie,

I would expect a certain amount of noise as the roof material moves over the rigid frame but this is REALLY loud, like - turn the music way up to drown it out. What might help is some form of lubrication between the roof fabric and the frame, but I am very wary about applying anything that might damage the fabric.

On the upside spring and summer are on the way so the roof will be down more often.

Steve.
steveti

Postby DouglasH » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:46 am

Steveti...Do not accept this from your dealer, having never owned a mohair hood I am no expert but in the four years I have owned a vinyl hood I have never experienced any movement or noise, if your mohair hood is moving then it must be needing adjusted, the key thing to remember is what you said :- "Didn't do it when I took delivery only started in the past couple of months."
I'm sure our resident hood fitter Richard will give you some advice on this matter.
DouglasH

Postby PaulDS » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:50 pm

I had my vinyl roof replaced nearly 3 years ago with a mohair and never had any niose problems. It is a better tighter fit too. Get back to them.
Paul
Findochty.
PaulDS

Postby CharlesK » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:46 pm

steveti

Have now got the same problem as you have and yet nothing like this noise appeared for the first 15 months I owned the car - time to visit the dealer i think

chic
CharlesK
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby steveti » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:23 am

Thanks all,

Looks like a return visit to the dealer is required, at least I've now got the views of other owners as ammo to present to dealer. BTW my local dealer was Barnetts in Kirckaldy - now changed to Arnold Clark! I've heard so many mixed reports about A.C. so hope this is not a bad thing, but I suppose any dealership is mostly down to the people running the show at a local level.]

Steve.
steveti

Return to Technical