A Few Questions -- and a few words on Scotland

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

A Few Questions -- and a few words on Scotland

Postby AM01 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:16 pm

Hi All,

I have recently become a MX5 owner, but before I get to the questions, I would like to say that although I do not reside in Scotland, studying there at the University of St.Andrews until a year ago have produced memories I shall carry with me for a lifetime.
Cultural appreciation aside, I remember whenever I could steal a few hours away from study, I would get into my VW Golf, loving the empty roads, the low fog during Easter, and the great scenery. I remember fondly the A68 from Newcastle to Edinburgh with Jedburgh on the way. The blind summits, the switchbacks and the long straights were roads I had never been on before.
Coming from small Hong Kong - driving the long 10 hour journey from London to St.Andrews was the longest I had ever driven and being an auto enthusiast would never take a train or plane - I wanted every minute of the drive!
There was the run from St.Andrews to Crail - a small stretch of road that you could do inside of 20 minutes, but a fun one for a quick blast nonetheless.
I only wish I had my MX5 to play back then!

Anyway - back to the topic at hand.

1) My '93 HK-Spec has recently been making a squeak when driving. I see the front mud guard (if thats the technical name for the fixed plate behind the tyres) is quite close to the tyres, and is also a bit loose. A mechanic suggested I might hear 'crashing' as the guard impacts the wheel but not convinced that its this, since I don't believe tyre and guard are coming together. Any suggestions?

2) The RPMs increase slightly with the use of the air-con. Is this normal?

3) Mazda garage tells me that the gearbox is 'noisy', and that replacing it would cost more than what I paid for the car. However, I hear no noise, although engaging gears can be difficult, but the gearbox has a transmission leak which I believe is the culprit. Have any of you heard of this 'gearbox replacement'?

4) I notice a great deal of vibrating in the car while driving (seats, gearstick itself etc.) is this due to the slight adjustment (stiffer) in suspension my car came with, or is this normal?

Thank you for your replies, and the memories, Scotland.

Alex
AM01

Re: A Few Questions -- and a few words on Scotland

Postby Richardn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:16 am

Answers in the quote (some anyway)
AM01 wrote:Hi All,

I have recently become a MX5 owner,

Anyway - back to the topic at hand.

1) My '93 HK-Spec has recently been making a squeak when driving. I see the front mud guard (if thats the technical name for the fixed plate behind the tyres) is quite close to the tyres, and is also a bit loose. A mechanic suggested I might hear 'crashing' as the guard impacts the wheel but not convinced that its this, since I don't believe tyre and guard are coming together. Any suggestions?

2) The RPMs increase slightly with the use of the air-con. Is this normal?

yes

3) Mazda garage tells me that the gearbox is 'noisy', and that replacing it would cost more than what I paid for the car. However, I hear no noise, although engaging gears can be difficult, but the gearbox has a transmission leak which I believe is the culprit. Have any of you heard of this 'gearbox replacement'?

Unlikely, but not unheard of, propshaft joints are a common culprit, try squirting the joint with a spray grease.

oil leak is more likely the Crank angle sensor O ring

look on http://www.miata.net/garage

4) I notice a great deal of vibrating in the car while driving (seats, gearstick itself etc.) is this due to the slight adjustment (stiffer) in suspension my car came with, or is this normal?

maybe, some after market chassis braces will help this

Thank you for your replies, and the memories, Scotland.

Alex
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby AM01 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:37 pm

RichardN,

Thank you for your reply.

The car came with a brace over the engine already, so there isn't much I can do there. However, it also came with 15" alloys - perhaps that is partly the problem too.
AM01

Return to Technical