Alignment

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Alignment

Postby rockdoc » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:21 pm

Any recommendations for a garage who could set up the alignment on my eunos , in the Aberdeen area....... :?
rockdoc

Postby mgrays » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:06 pm

Well not sure now.. a few years ago;

Companies that have been tried …
Town and County Mazda, Aberdeen. ?63 (but 5 yrs ago refused Roadsters)
Arnold Clark Toyota, Linwood,, Scotland = left adjuster slack
Pitstop, Aberdeen = got it wrong twice with me
Kenneth Brown Engineering. Hillington, Glasgow = assured OK (Des Rocks) 20-40 UKP.
Barnetts of Mollinsburn near Cumbernauld = good (did my second one) but ?70 ‘cause I took longer..
Dreadnought Garage, Leny Road, Callander , Perthshire, FK17 8AL, Scotland
Tel: 01877 331099 , Fax: 01877 331535
enquiries@dreadnought-tvr.co.uk http://www.dreadnought-mg.co.uk

Arnold Clark Ford in Altens area - the quick tyre depo ... have the gear and knowledge to use it but could not get it around my 215/40-16 tyres with the amount of lowering I had - might work for you. Seem to do OK on tyre changing :lol: and not a bad lot but they were always empty and the last time I wanted 4 tyres mounted they quoted ?75 :shock: so maybe they have put prices up from the ?7 it used to cost per tyre.

Guess the next question is what sort of alignment... I now go for min rear camber .. with some toe in 0.16deg/side , and then take 1/2 deg off for front chamber at max possible castor .. and 0-1/8" toe in.. oh just follow this>>>>>>>>> :lol:

1) Figure out what is the minimum rear camber you can achieve while maintaining the desired toe. Shoot for .16 deg positive toe (i.e., toe *in*) per side, maybe a bit less. Don't panic if you can't get less than -1.8 to -2.0 degrees (FWIW, I've got -2.1 deg in the rear). Whichever side has the higher camber, set the other side the same.

2) Take whatever figure you ended up with for rear camber, minus .5 degrees, and use that for the front camber. The greater the difference between front and rear camber, the greater the tendency for understeer. Decreasing the difference moves the handling towards oversteer. My first alignment after the suspension upgrade had my rear camber at about -1.9 and front camber at about -.7. The car understeered like a pig no matter what I did with the sways. I'm now running -1.6 front/-2.1 rear; much better. On my last alignment, I had the front toe set to 0; so far, I like the way it feels.

3) Set the front caster as positive as you can get it while maintaining the camber set previously.
“Jeff Thomson
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Alignment........

Postby rockdoc » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:37 pm

booked car into arnold clark (ford)-After telling them what i wanted and asking them if they had eqpt to do it. :P
Dropped off car in morning and walked home, phone rings 2hrs later saying they can only adjust the "alignment"- but not the castor or camber???????. :?:
Result was - told them to forget it and still looking for somewhere to check/adjust my alignment :evil:
rockdoc

Postby mgrays » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:48 pm

Oh dear .. :( .. Mr A.Clark .. purveyor of quality services strikes :shock:

You can talk them around by printing out the right bits from Miata.net no doubt but it gives you no confidence .. hence my Pitstop "moment" where I had to use a tape measure to demonstrate what toe in and toe out was :shock: :cry:

Surely Ladderman has bod.. otherwise it is back down to the central belt :)

Good luck in your quest .. may it be sucessful .. and tell us the solution! :roll:
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Alignment

Postby rockdoc » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:55 pm

Yep - i called Dreadnought in Callander, looks like a roadtrip next thursday :D
rockdoc

Return to Technical