How do you clean yours ?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

How do you clean yours ?

Postby gm » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:10 pm

Whilst fuelling up yesterday, i was amazed to see a young lady in a mgf with a soft top queueing for the automatic car wash (the one with all of the crazy brushes) - unfortunately i couldn't hang around to see the outcome but was this really as crazy as it seemed ?

I generally use the jet wash and take great care when cleaning the top half of the car. Only a couple of minor leaks so nothing to be overly concerned about. I can't imagine the state the roof would get into with the brushes.

Does anyone go through the automatic ? Was she really asking for trouble ? Do those mgf's have some kind of magic no-leak roof ?

I wish i'd stuck aorund !
gm

Postby Si » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Yet more proof, if any was needed, that you have to be as daft as a brush to buy an MGF :lol:

I can't imagine that the brushes would've done her hood any favours whatsoever ......

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Pudding » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:57 pm

I've done it a couple of times when lazy... no leaks at all, and no damage - but really not for the purists... soft top or otherwise. Concern is as much for the paintwork - poorly maintained brushes will micro-scratch the finish.
Pudding
Pudding

Postby don.b » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:51 pm

The only car wash I've ever used is the "Jet Wash" type and I never use the brush.
I remember waiting in the queue at the jet wash and watched the woman in front of me use the brush to wash her ageing Lada. Nothing against Lada's (Ok I have). It looked like she lived 3 miles up a farm track as bits of rock and farm animals fell off the car as she rinsed it :lol:

I always rinse the car first, then wash it with a sponge using only car wash shampoo.

Here ends the lesson on how to become a sad anorak !!!
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby graeme » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:46 pm

"clean"? Hmm, give me a few minutes to look that up in the dictionary to see what it means....

[a few minutes later]
Wow! really? and we're supposed to do that to our cars? :lol:
graeme

Postby DouglasH » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Graeme..you know you can clean yours now.. because your no longer Co-ordinator. :wink:
DouglasH

cleaning

Postby CharlesK » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:20 am

Glad this subject is in the technichal section of the forum as Heather dose not usually read anything there.
Cleaning cars is a dirty word in this household
Still convincing heather that it is beneficial to have a heavy layer of dirt on the car through the winter to keep the salt off the bodywork
any excuses for the summer?

chic
CharlesK
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Phil » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:35 pm

In the Summer the car should be left dirty so that the Sun does not cause any fading of the paintwork by Ultra-violet rays (we should be so lucky). :shock: :shock: :D
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby graeme » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:52 pm

We're doing everyone a favour in summer because the reflections could cause accidents.
graeme

Postby Colin M » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:49 am

My manual specifically says never to use an automatic car wash ;) Previously I've used a bucket filled with warm water with a small amount of fairy liquid, and a sponge, but recently my dad bought a rotating soapy brush attachment for the hose so I've been using that instead, much easier ;)
Colin M

Postby boringchap » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:57 pm

I have heard that washing-up liquid has too high a salt content which can damage paint on a car. not sure if this is just a ploy used by car shampoo makers to persuade you to buy their wares, but I play safe and use car shampoo anyway. God! I'm even boring myself now.

Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Postby Phil » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:08 pm

Washing up liquid does have a high salt content but it is also good at taking grease/oil off dishes, therefore good at removing the polish that you spent a couple of hours putting on last weekend. :(
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Return to Technical