Leaky soft top

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Leaky soft top

Postby JohnL » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1998 1.8iS. In the rainstorms at Christmas time I parked it outside and discovered that the soft top is leaking.

Leak number 1: it looks like the rear window has been broken at some point and a replacement put in. This hasn't been done well, and the seal around the window is letting in a little bit of water.

Leak number 2: is on the driver's side: water dribbles down from where the windscreen, the soft top and the door all meet. I have a feeling this is coming in where the side window meets the rubber seals, but it could also be where the soft top meets the windscreen.

Also, the clamp which holds roof shut on the driver's side is a bit suspect: this can be opened without pushing the little button on it.

Any recommendations for someone that might be able to fix this lot? I don't really want to fit a hard top, since I've no-where to store it and I like being able to fling the roof open even in winter. But the car is a working car so I do need to get it watertight...

Many thanks...
JohnL

Postby secat187 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:25 pm

leak number 2 could be caused by a bad seal between the window and weather seal? I think thats the one, could be the wrong name. Its the seal which runs from the bottom of the window (inside the door) all the way to the top of the door frame. Mine has just got caught by the window and has ridden up and lets water in now.

Im not sure about the clamp as i've never looked closely at them but if you open it up there should be a threaded screw which you can tighen the clamp with.
secat187

Postby JohnL » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 pm

Alas, the clamp already has the screw tightened to its fullest extent...
JohnL

Postby secat187 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:48 pm

Hum, I'll have a look at mine and my workshop book tonight and see if there is anything useful.
secat187

Postby lochpark » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:11 pm

You should check the Hood / Hardtop cap top lock at http://sftmx5parts.co.uk/

Couldn't figure out how to attach an image so heres the text, the image is on the hood hardtop section.

"Are you experiencing water penetration between the hood & front screen, above your head. Before spending lots of money, this part could save you ???'s. This may be the cause, and should correct the alignment of the hood mechanism contact point. (part no. NA01-R1-311)

Price: ? 1.20 + ( ? 0.21 v.a.t.) each"

If however its the clamp, let me know, I'm sure I've got a spare in the hut.

Cheers

Shaun
lochpark

Return to Technical