Seizing Claiper

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Seizing Claiper

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:15 pm

My front left caliper has seized up 3 times in under 2 months :x........lasts about 50 miles before it starts binding.Last time it seized i took the whole caliper off and totally stripped it.When bleeding it when i put it back on,it took about 7 pumps of the pedal before any fluid came through and the pipe wasn't even flexing while doing this.and the fluid was coming out slow.It's not an air lock as we checked this and came to conclusion as the caliper was totally cleaned and working properly.........that the biggest possibility is a collapsed flexi hose.......same symptoms and biggest possibility............anyone else had a similar problem?
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby mgrays » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:30 am

Never heard of a collapsed hose on a 5 .. but they do happen .. almost certainly helped by someone using a hose clamp in a previous life. Can you push the piston back pretty easily if you crack open the bleed nipple yet it will not return otherwise.. just crack open the bleed nipple next time.. if it frees off and starts to spin .. then it is definitely hose.. however if it happens on both wheels of the axle then it could be incorrectly adjusted servo rod/master cylinder (if the seals are pushed too far forward past the inlet ports then the pressure is trapped... but this would happen on both wheels of an axle at the same time.. if you were unlucky contaminated master cylinder seals would do this .. if the seals were very close.. otherwise the output rod of the servo can be adjusted .. if both calipers on an axle are locking up then slack off the bolts holding the master cylinder to the servo .. 2mm should be far too much gap to release the fluid unless contaminated seals.. if it is seals then either bleed nipple releases the fluid.

(Spend nearly 3 years building/designing/testing brake systems.. particularly servos and rear valves at one point..)
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby Hardtrack » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:15 pm

just crack open the bleed nipple next time.. if it frees off and starts to spin .. then it is definitely hose..

Yep,thats why i thought it was the hose,plus the fact that the fluid was coming through weak after numerous pumps.Only one side is seizing up so it obviously is caliper/hose related and not something more serious.................I've actually saw this before a couple of times on other cars.I did actually think myself that the hose would have probably been clamped and it caused it to collapse as when i bought the car and read all my reciepts,it had the 2 front calipers stripped the week before i bought.The fronts were never that great and clunked a bit when turning.I thought it was missing shims,but when the caliper siezed i found this wasn't the case.After i totally stripped both calipers,the clunking went away and the front brakes were as good as i would imagine they could be as they had crap stopping power before.I'll order some front hoses tomorrow and probably do them a night through the week if i have time,as myself and a few others are convinced its a collapsed hose..................thanks for your opinion as it has confirmed what i think.I thought my days of seized calipers were finished 10 years ago ,when i stopped buying Vauxhalls :lol: ................them 80's calipers were the biggest b@stards ever.....i'm sure you remember them if you worked with brakes :D
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby mgrays » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:14 pm

Vauxhaul make their own brakes ... does that not say it all.. I was Lucas Girling which was Rover/Honda/Nissan/Rolls Royce/Jag/Caravans!!!

Hope it works.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical