Recommend hood fitting service

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Recommend hood fitting service

Postby candy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:08 pm

I am looking to replace my old Mk1 tan hood.

I live in Ayrshire and would like the recommendation of anyone who has had a hood fitted locally (& Glasgow area), and where they purchaed the hood.

Are the hoods advertised in the club mag, good? Does anyone locally do the "buy and fit" service?

Any advice welcomed on purchasing and fitting.

Thanks in advance.
C.
candy

Postby lochpark » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:17 pm

It must be something with the Ayrshire weather as I too have to replace mine.

At the pub meet last week the following were recommended http://sftmx5parts.co.uk/ and whist they do not fit the hood, they gave me a couple of phone numbers in the Glasgow area.

They would sell you the hood and you would then arrange to have a local fitter install it for you.

Again at the pub meet last week I was informed that one of the members fits hoods, so maybe he would do it for you ?

Cheers

Shaun
lochpark

Postby candy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:45 pm

I've had a look on their web site, looks promising and worth a call!

Thanks.
C.
candy

Postby Si » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:59 pm

I have a SFT hood and must say that I'm very happy with it. The rear window seems to attract condensation more than the original that was fitted, but I think that's down to the thickness of the window (i.e. it's not that thick).

Good hood and fit otherwise. We did it ourselves in about 7 hours, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a lot of patience. It's not difficult (per se) just fiddly and time consuming.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby candy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:18 pm

Si,

don't suppose you have a web link to anywhere with instructions on how to do a hood change at home!

OR/AND,

your own rendition of the mammoth task would also be good to hear to help me decide whether or not I have the patience of a saint or an itchy pit-bull!

(SFT gave me a number of hood fitters in Paisley - B&S Motor Engineering - but the boss is out on a first aid coarse today, so ... no info from them till tomorrow!)

Many thanks, C.
candy

Postby lochpark » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:50 pm

Candy,

Visit http://www.prestigecarhoods.com/

Select

Mazda
MX-5 Hoods
Link at bottom of page to display instructions

Hope this helps

Cheers

Shaun
lochpark

Postby Si » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:33 pm

The instructions I had came with the hood, but after the work was done they were binned .... along with all other evidence of that horrible job :D

We chose to remove the whole frame from the car and fitted the hood on the garage floor.

- unbolt seats and remove
- remove carpet trim from rear deck
- remove plastic trim from around seatbelt towers
- remove metal bracket along rear
- drill out rivets , and undo bolts, securing roof to chassis
- lift off roof with frame and place on floor
- rip off hold hit

- getting the new roof on is just the reverse :shock:

Sorry there's not much useful info there .......

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby candy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:48 am

Thank you all for your advice.

I have now ordered the hood from SFT, and will decide over the weekend whether or not to attempt a home fit or get an expert in the job!

Regards,
Claire :wink:
candy

Postby Hardtrack » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:30 pm

I'm in Ayrshire to Candy,if you are stuck to find places to fit in Ayrshire or want to know a fitter that will come to Ayrshire.....pm or mail me and i'll give you the details :) ........Don't know if you would be willing to use one of Shing Fungs fitters that is an OC members,although you might need to travel a little for that...............either way ,you know where i am :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby Moonshine » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:35 am

I bought my mohair Mk2 hood from peter at www.mazparts.co.uk. for ?450 including delivery. Vinyl for ?350 and also Mk 1 hoods fom ?230 - ?320.

I fitted it myself, keeping the frame in the car - not hard, just awkward.. If you need a hand, i would come and help out - i'd recommend a warm dry garage if you are going to do it yourself though - allow 6 - 8 hours for the first time, though i think we could do it in 4.

Gerry
Moonshine

Postby Colin & Margaret » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:20 pm

candy wrote:Si,

(SFT gave me a number of hood fitters in Paisley - B&S Motor Engineering - but the boss is out on a first aid coarse today, so ... no info from them till tomorrow!)

I trust the first aid course is not as a result of his skill with a knife fitting hoods!!! Blood on the upholstery can leave an awful stain!!! :twisted:

Cheers

Colin
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret

Return to Technical