Classic Restoration nearly there.

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Classic Restoration nearly there.

Postby Robin » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Just about there with this 10 year"project" :shock:
Many will recognise it from old fun fairs, being a 1953 J40 pedal car.
Finally got the proper wired steering wheel, and sourced most of the bits to refit. Still looking for the proper chromed two piece grill, but have a glass fibre one at worst.
But, two issues someone may be able to help with.
The chrome-steel bumpers need beaten out & rechromed, but I cannot find a business who can be bothered.
Secondly, I need to source an upholsterer who can, from photos, replicate the original red leather & pleated seat.
Any help would be appreciated. The car will either be auctioned for funds to the Immune Deficiency Syndrome Organisation, or, I may keep it and use it to raise funds in the longer term for the same charity "on the drip" at various events, whatever.
So, the sooner I can get it rolling again, the better.
It is resplendant now in 2 pack black...done free by a local coachbuilder....maybe Polished Bliss can finish it off! :lol:
Robin

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:33 pm

Sorry, I can't help, but that looks really cool and I wish you luck in getting it done. Any chance you could post a pic with something (eg a person) beside it to give a better impression of scale?
Enjay

Postby Robin » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:42 pm

Just under 5 feet long...and very heavy. Those were the days....when kids got kicked out into fresh air and exercised!
Hand crafted from steel offcuts from the real car's production.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x305 ... ce/J40.jpg

Good site.
http://www.austinworks.com/pc-photo.html
Robin

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:26 pm

Robin, there used to be a company in Falkirk that did chrome work, I can't for the life of me remember the name, but I am sure they were down in Bainsford. They were very good. I will make a few enquiries.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Robin » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:00 pm

Brilliant Bill. Thanks.
Robin

Postby Gordon » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:23 am

Have you tried asking the Trim Line folks if they can do anything with the seat? They seemed a nice bunch of people and might help you out.
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

Postby Robin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:23 pm

Good shout Gordon.
I will give them a call...have plenty old fairgound photos to give them something to work on. The seat base & backing were marine ply...not rocket science to them I guess.
Robin

Postby Ronnie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:39 pm

You know Ecosse (if you dont mind me using your old handle) that photie takes me back years ago to when the "shows" used to visit all the wee towns and villages. I used to love sitting on one of them (usually fire engine red) My pals dad who was a farmer actually had a real Austin A40 Devon as I believe they were called. Being a canny farmer he kept it for years until it died.

Hope ye get it restored .... it's for a good cause

Ronnie

PS Whit a summer .... nearly thought about putting your old "lid" back on

:D :D
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby Robin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:28 pm

Ronnie,
Here you are...get the Kleenex out you auld softie :wink:
http://www.austinworks.com/pc-photo.html
Me & my Dad with his A40 Devon...well...if you can't laugh at yourself it's a bad day!
Robin

Postby Ronnie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:42 pm

Cripes Robin .... you haven't changed much but you dads a bit small :wink: PS Aren't you still wearing that jacket to pub meets hehehhhe

:D :D :D
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby Hotch » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:51 pm

Hi Robin, theres a vehicle upholsterer in Perth who I'm sure would be able to sort your seat. I'll get the name for you tomorrow.
Hotch

Postby Hotch » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:53 pm

Sorry Robin, had a busy week so didn't manage to get the details until now.

Alex Watt & Son
14, Dunkeld Rd, Perth, Perthshire PH1 5RW
Tel: 01738 626038
Hotch

Postby Robin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Hotch wrote:Sorry Robin, had a busy week so didn't manage to get the details until now.

Alex Watt & Son

Brilliant Hotch...will post how the enquiries went!
Robin

Postby Robin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Hotch wrote:Sorry Robin, had a busy week so didn't manage to get the details until now.

Alex Watt & Son

Hotch.
Alex is a "can do", no problem...needs the car up there though. My B in Law can ship it. Brilliant. Apparently he has done a few wee jobs similar to this before...nice friendly chap too.
Thanks!

Bill....I think I know who the chromers are...down off Grahams Road...former bikers? I think they still do chroming for classic bikes...will let you know if I find them.

Sincere thanks to everyone who pitched in here! :wink:
Robin

Postby Enjay » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm in the middle of my holidays ATM... anyway we attended the "Pickering Steam Rally" - a sizable event in North Yorkshire featuring steam vehicles, classics, autojumbles etc etc. There were a number of period fairground rides.

I saw the ride pictured below and thought of this thread. There were a couple more cars on the ride - the second last one - I think - hidden by the centre of the ride was black.
Enjay

Postby Robin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks Enjay!
Clearly for the American market...two steering wheels Can't make up their minds which side they are on! At least they are in one piece.
Robin

Re: Classic Restoration nearly there.

Postby plakias1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Robin this is not a reply to any of your posts but a speculative contact to establish if you are the Gentleman who assisted my daughter in Loch Lomond Shores on Thursday? If you are I want to pass on my thanks as well as hers for all your assistance. If you are not well good luck with the car restoration projects!
plakias1

Re: Classic Restoration nearly there.

Postby OldSpice » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:41 am

plakias1 wrote:Robin this is not a reply to any of your posts but a speculative contact to establish if you are the Gentleman who assisted my daughter in Loch Lomond Shores on Thursday? If you are I want to pass on my thanks as well as hers for all your assistance. If you are not well good luck with the car restoration projects!

That was myself & my wife giving her Sport good run.
Dwarfed by the Volvo parked beside it!
All we did was reinflate a flat using the kit supplied.
You'd generally find none of us "here" would see anyone in danger or stuck.
Your granddaughter made an excellent assistant! :D
We both thought your daughter a charming individual to speak with.
Nice to meet you all, and we feel somewhat humbled by your effort in tracing us.

PS.
The J40 eventually raised a heady £700.00, and is now on show in a pedal car museum down south somewhere......
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Return to Technical