Understanding ignition system

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Understanding ignition system

Postby Pudding » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Forgive if posted wrong - new. Have uk spec mk 2.5 1.8 mx5 automatic. Ignition leads look ropey, with bits of insulating tape added in places. Thought I would replace leads, partly as learning exercise - it should be apparent I know nothing about engines! Problem is, the wiring set up looks totally different from anything I have been able to glean from the web. I may be making a complete fool of myself here, but there is a heap of stuff mounted on top of the engine, with connectors that are different from the leads that most people seem to buy and be happy with (e.g. magnecor). I'd post a pic, but don't know how to! Please let me know how. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Ian
Pudding
Pudding

Postby kristoff » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:16 pm

Check this link out pudding, it may help you understand your problem.

Regards,
Chris

http://www.miata.net/garage/ignition.html
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby Pudding » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Thanks. That's the sort of page that is frightening me! In the pic on the page, the system looks like I think it should - wires going from plugs to ignition block at back of engine. In my one, the ?coils are bolted to the top of the engine - as if always fitted that way, with a proper mounting - run together with a series of rather small bore wires with male connectors. Never seen anything like it, but then I'd never seen an ignition system - and known what it was - until yesterday!

Ian
Pudding
Pudding

Postby kristoff » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:25 pm

This is Ian's query. Anyone shine a light on this unusual set-up?

Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby DouglasH » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Nothing unusual, that looks like the standard 2.5 set up.
DouglasH

Postby boydie » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:44 pm

I think this is the norm for manufacturers now, they all seem to be changing to this sort of setup. My brothers cars are both like this aswell (pug 106 & 323)
boydie

Postby Pudding » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:56 pm

Thanks to Chris for putting up the picture! Reassured by responses! Can anyone tell me what kind of leads I need to replace the existing set?

Ian
Pudding
Pudding

Postby DouglasH » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:46 pm

Info for other 2.5 owners

Since Kristoff posted the same on the national forum, only fair to let other interested 2.5 owners see the answers you received,

Apart from it being the stock set up, Ralph F Cooke also replied :-

There aftermarket leads available for this setup, but the 'normal' magnecore (or other) leads won't work.

What Mazda have done is to go halfway towards a 'plug on coil' setup, where the HT leads are eliminated completely. They have modified the coils and have moved them from a cradle on the rear of the head to immediately above two of the sparkplugs (1 & 3). There are then two short leads from these coils to plugs 4 and 2.
By doing this mazda have eliminated two of the leads without the extra cost of re-engineering the ignition system.

Ian you still do not say why you want to change the leads, apart from some tape that has come loose, as I said in my pm to you it is strange for a car so new to need the leads replaced unless your having problems.
DouglasH

Postby Pudding » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:23 pm

Thanks Douglas. All is sorted out for me - the wonderful electric interweb etc. The reason I got into this was that I decided to start learning about maintenance (uh oh!) and was exploring "plugs and leads". I was going to change them as a bit of an exercise really :oops: and got lost right away. The current cables look a bit "kludged" to be sure, but there was no performance issue. Nonetheless, I learned a lot in the process and can now talk confidently of 'coils' just like a grown up! - very grateful to all who helped!

Ian
Pudding
Pudding

Return to Technical