Replacement 15" Alloys

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Replacement 15" Alloys

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:42 am

My MX5 is currently fitted with 14" alloys however they are a little pitted and scruffy looking. Instead of getting them renovated (I've been quoted ?35 to ?50 per alloy) I am consideing getting a new set of alloys, I've noticed that 15" alloys are very common, but I am concern about how these larger alloys would effect the car. (Were 15" alloys fitted as standard to Mk1s?)

Would the larger diameter wheels effect the accuracy of the speedometer, can this be adjusted?

While larger diameter wheel would effect acceleration, would they improve fuel economy? As engine speed would be lower at the same cruising speed?

Would the car sit higher on the road with 15" alloys? Would this effect the handling?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Thanks,

Meriadoc.

-----------
BRG 1.8iS Mk1 1997
Meriadoc

Postby Si » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:19 am

Generally, when people buy 15" wheels, they get tyres with a lower profile. This means that essentially the diameter remains largely unchanged and any differences are negligible. This means you can forget about worrying about the accuracy of your speedo, and any possible gains in fuel consumption :lol:

If you are buying aftermarket wheels, you must take in to consideration the weight of the wheel. Standard 14" (<14lbs IIRC) MX-5 alloys are very light, and if you get substantially heavier wheels (>3 lbs) you WILL notice a difference. I bought a relatively cheap set of 15" alloys and the increase in weight was not only noticeable when I lifted them by hand, but also the handling of the car was adversely affected. Over humps the car tends to be airborne longer, and it was crashier through pot-holes.

I keep meaning to buy lighter alloys, but have never managed to get round to it.

LOADS of info on wheel weights, tyres, rolling circumferences etc on the main OC forum.

Cheers,
Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Si » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:21 am

Oh .... you should be able to get your wheels refurbished for ?25 if you look hard enough!

IPF Powder Coaters (01592 771 805) in Glenrothes get a good write up (no affiliation etc etc ... use at your own risk etc etc) so it might be worth giving them a call for a quote.

Si
Si

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:16 am

Thanks for the advice Si. I'd never considered the weight issue and would hate to have adversely affected the handling of my car. Shame that I can't expect better fuel consumption; I really begrudge spending so much on petrol, accursed tax man. :x

The reason my fuel consumption is a high is probably due to my driving style, a little fast and I love accelerating hard, keeping the engine within it's main power band.

I drive, on average, 300 miles a week all over the Scottish Borders it's great fun, the roads are so quiet, quite possibly driving heaven. I am really looking forward to the summer when I can get the top down nearly everyday. :D (however that'll effect the fuel consumption) :cry:

However, I got some good news today! I can now claim 35p per mile from my employer. :lol: :lol:
Meriadoc

Postby graeme » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:10 pm

I used IPF and was happy with the result.
graeme

Postby Si » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:11 am

I forgot that you used them Graeme ......... I remember asking you if you'd bought a new set of wheels the results were that good!

Si
Si

Postby boringchap » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:05 am

I thought about getting the alloys done (powdercoated) on my '98 Mk2 and went to a company in Carsnoutie who showed me a very impressive array of wheels in different finishes. I was just about to book the car in when the chap mentioned that they would have to conventionally spray-paint the plastic centre caps and would "try and match them up as best we can, you'll never get an exact match, though, because of the two different processes". Perhaps I'm a bit fussy, but I decided against getting two-tone wheels. Obviously this is not a problem unless, like me, you have plastic centre caps.

Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Replacement 15" Alloys

Postby steveo » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:31 am

Hi Guys,

Ob the subject of Alloy wheel renfinishers I am needing mine doing, I am very very fussy and as I have a Gleneagles with the hardest to find wheels which are no longer available from Mazda UK or anywhere. I am looking for a proper job and I mean a proper job! Sorry to sound irate on this one but there are so many companies who blast your wheel with shot and badly fill them with the wrong metal filler then spray them in cellulose and charge you more than some of the more reputable ones. Being a southerner I don't know of many places up here that are good and do not wan't to get ripped off. I have heard of a place in Hillington that are mean't to be OK and the guys in Glenrothes sound OK, do you know if they machine the wheels as one of mine has a slight buckle due to South Lanarkshire's amazing road maintenance plan :evil: and I am needing 4 Wheel alignment doing but no point until the wheels are done.

That get's that of my chest lol!

Steve
Steveo
Mk1 Gleneagles it's away :(
BMW E39 530i Sport (Until the nipper is bigger!)
Renault Megane DCi Dynamique
(Family wagon)
steveo

Return to Technical