Changing Alloys

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 am

I have 17" wheels on my 5.

The ride is harsher, but what I lost in ride quality I made up for in handling.

Not as much fun on the bends though 'cause it sticks to the road now. :wink:
Detritus

Postby Robin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:19 am

DouglasH wrote:John, for what its worth I happen to agree with you 100%. I have often thought about bigger wheels but after reading this and the Uk O.C. forum for over six years, its the same regrets I hear from owners that have tried the 17" wheels, even the lightweight ones:-

1...Harsh ride.
2...Tyres more Expensive and less choice.

I did borrow a set of 16" wheels for a few weeks while my own 15's were being powdercoated and It felt strange almost as if the roads you use daily had been churned up and surface dressed, ok I'm probably exaggerating a little bit, but you get my drift.

The other point that seems to go unnoticed is the quality of the alloy wheels Mazda fit as standard, yes we all know about the flaking and bubbling that has dogged them in recent years but cosmetics aside its a well known fact that most of the standard alloys are much lighter than many aftermarket alloys, the early Mk-2 wheels in good nick are very much sought after for this very reason. I seem to remember a similar scenario with Mk-1 wheels, can't remember the name, (Minilites perhaps) but I do recall these being well thought of.
Begs the question perhaps Mazda knew what they were doing when they designed the wheels for the various Mk's.
As I say only my opinion.

Must be something in this Douglas. Thankfully I have the original alloys for the NA...the 7 spoke polished ones..and I got a big surprise loading them into my friend's car the day I bought Brucey. No weight at all....my friend muttered something about " hardly any unsprung weight for the suspension to control"...which I take as less effort for the suspension components(less revolving "mass") to control over bumps and keeping the rubber planted...no expert though!
Robin

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:06 am

I changed my wheels a few years ago from 14" to 16" (OZ Superleggies) which are very light. I immediately noticed a difference in the cars ride (more harsh) and it now has a tendency to "track" on roads that are worn by heavy traffic. Sometimes you would swear that the car has a pull in the brakes but it hasn't it's just the car tracking on worn grooves in the road surface as I pull up at lights. There is a junction at Morrisons on Bearsden Road at Anniesland Cross that is particularly bad for this. I think the bigger wheels look fantastic BUT the 14 inchers were a better ride.

Ronnie :D
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby Richardn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 pm

your old wheels should have been 15" Ronnie :?
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ronnie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Richardn wrote:your old wheels should have been 15" Ronnie :?

Aye Douglas said that to me as well Richard but they were definately 14" coz I had to replace the tyres and they were 185x60x14 :(

ronnie :D
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Previous

Return to Technical