Changing Alloys

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Changing Alloys

Postby Dawn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 am

Hi!

I've just joined and was wondering if anyone can help me.

I am thinking of changing my alloys. I currently have 15" ones and was thinking of fitting 16" to make up some of the gap at the wheelarches.

Can this be done and is there any problems (e.g. speedo problems) or anything I need to do?

Dawn
Dawn

Postby Richardn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 am

It won't make the slightest differnce

When you fit a larger wheel you fit a smaller tyre so the overall diameter is the same. Speedo is the same and the wheelarch gap is the same
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby koolchef » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:19 pm

no problems. I've got a mk2 - and i got 17 inch alloys. hey size matters now-a-days apparently. i always thought it was what you did!
koolchef

Postby Dawn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:57 pm

Thanks for the advice koolchef and Richardn!

I'm off to do a bit of alloy shopping! :D

Makes a difference from shoes and stuff! :lol:

Dawn
Dawn

Postby Richardn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:09 pm

choose a lightweight set :)
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby redhot5 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 pm

you could fit as set of trim springs and that would reduce the gap in wheel arches,poss 30-40mm 8)
redhot5

Postby koolchef » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:44 pm

do u go out much in motherwell? coz am in hamilton - so might see u about?
koolchef

Out and about in Motherwell

Postby Dawn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi Koolchef!

Yip! I'm out in my car all the time!

It's a 53 plate, MK2 or MK2.5 (not sure which). It's sunlight silver!

I'm waiting on the the rain to stop so I can take some pictures and post them.

So far, I have put on a roll bar and have MX5 mats. Have big plans though! LOL!

Love your interior lighting!

Dawn
Dawn

Postby richsawko » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:48 am

I maybe interested in your 15's if you do buy new ones

Rich
richsawko

Postby koolchef » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:21 pm

sweet - and your making money already if you sell your 15 inch alloys. if you mod the car like i have, keep all the original stuff. some people are abit fussy when a car has been modded so when or if you sell it you can sell all the mod's on ebay and get the money back!
smart thinking!
should i ask how old you are?
koolchef

Postby redhot5 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 am

hi dawn and welcome to the forum,charlie told me you had just joined,he asked me when you were thinking of buying one what i thought of mx5,s ,i told him to get one.i hope your happy with your car and that you have made the right choice.hopefully yourself and charlie will attend one of the club runs :) 8)
redhot5

Changing Alloys

Postby Dawn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi Redhot5!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm enjoying the forum! Still figuring out what to do though!

I love my MX5! Charlie is green with envy! He has a Focus! Boring!! LOL!! He calls it "the rollerskate"! Sure sign of envy!! LOL!!

I have been twisting his arm up his back to come with me on the picnic on Sunday. Dangerous! He's a 6th Dan! LOL!

I have seen some nice, reasonably priced alloys and as I need back tyres I will probably get them very soon.

Charlie thinks I've got a wheel bearing away too. That's another wee job for him. (Handy having a mechanic about!)

I'll pop in with the car some day and let you see it!

Dawn
Dawn

Postby oweny » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:07 pm

hi iam owen got a wee dark blue mx-5 if you need wheels give me a pm i might just be able to get u a nice cheep set of 17's from motorwrold as iam woking there next week :lol: problem i had with 16's was the tyres were tooo dear.
oweny

Postby redhot5 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 am

no probs pop through anytime,tell charlie not to bring his focus though :wink:
redhot5

Postby John Scott » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:05 pm

I know you guys will not agree because they don't look good (yes its a matter of taste) but I find 14 inch wheels offer the best fun, driver satisfaction and ride comfort on an MX5. I would say 15 inch are also excellent. When you start to go for 16inch and over the ride becomes too harsh and crashes over poor roads. The 17inch wheels loosen your teeth fillings when you hit the cats eyes changing lanes and causes your kidneys to fall out you bottom if you hit a pothole.
To be serious for a minute the larger wheel sizes do cause excessive premature wear to suspension and steering components and are less predictable when you get closer to he limit. (not a problem if you have the car control of pro driver) I have also read a recent report by a German Auto Magazine which claims a dramatic increase in high speed tyre failures (blow outs) was a result of increasingly lower profile tyres fitted to larger rims. This means that if a tyre is slowly deflating at motorway speeds the feedback to the driver is minimal due to the stiffness of the sidewall. This means the tyre overheats and fails before the driver is aware that anything is wrong.
Some times bigger is not always better.
John Scott
BRG 1.6 Mk2.5
John Scott

Postby Richardn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:11 am

John Scott wrote:I know you guys will not agree etc ..clipped
To be serious for a minute the larger wheel sizes do cause excessive premature wear to suspension and steering components and are less clipped

Not really true :shock: it is not the size (if the offset is correct) it's the weight
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Dawn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:21 pm

Your right I do disagree! I have not found the kidney shaking ride you talk about . To the contrary, I've found the ride smoother and the handling more positive. Regular checks on steering components, tyre wear and tyre pressure should eliminate any unforeseen failure.

They look brilliant though!!! It's a matter of taste!!!

As a women I can assure you size does matter!!
Dawn

Postby John Scott » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:23 pm

I knew people would not agree with my previous post but let me explain.The reason I went for an MX5 in the first place was because I went shopping for, but could not afford to buy an Elan like the one I had back in the 70s (the ones I could afford were real basket cases) Mine had the optional 185/70x13 Dunlops SP Sports on steel 5 + 1/2 J rims.
My MX5 came with 16in Fox wheels which turned out to be no better than scrap (leaking and egg shaped). I placed an ad on this forum and I was offered a decent set of 14in genuine Mazda rims with tyres that still had some life in them for a fair price (he was a really nice guy, very helpful). I fitted them and found that I loved the changes it made to the ride and handling making for the more enjoyable and involving drive I was looking for (yes nostalgia is a strange thing). That is why I like the ride and handling of the car with 14 or 15in wheels.
The other reason I bought an MX5 and joined this forum is that all MX5s are all the same but all are different and all owners have their own preference and likes but allows everyone else to have theirs. If only life was like that today.
Dawn said size does matter! Does that mean my wife has been telling porkies for all these years? I'm gutted
:oops:
John Scott
BRG 1.6 Mk2.5
John Scott

Postby DouglasH » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:55 am

John, for what its worth I happen to agree with you 100%. I have often thought about bigger wheels but after reading this and the Uk O.C. forum for over six years, its the same regrets I hear from owners that have tried the 17" wheels, even the lightweight ones:-

1...Harsh ride.
2...Tyres more Expensive and less choice.

I did borrow a set of 16" wheels for a few weeks while my own 15's were being powdercoated and It felt strange almost as if the roads you use daily had been churned up and surface dressed, ok I'm probably exaggerating a little bit, but you get my drift.

The other point that seems to go unnoticed is the quality of the alloy wheels Mazda fit as standard, yes we all know about the flaking and bubbling that has dogged them in recent years but cosmetics aside its a well known fact that most of the standard alloys are much lighter than many aftermarket alloys, the early Mk-2 wheels in good nick are very much sought after for this very reason. I seem to remember a similar scenario with Mk-1 wheels, can't remember the name, (Minilites perhaps) but I do recall these being well thought of.
Begs the question perhaps Mazda knew what they were doing when they designed the wheels for the various Mk's.
As I say only my opinion.
DouglasH

Postby Dawn » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:02 pm

I really like the new 17 inch wheels on my car and have to say that when you talk about the quality of the Mazda alloys my old ones had a lot of flaking and bubbles.I had a Ford Fiesta the same age and the alloys were like new, so not sure if I agree with you on that score.

If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much room!
Dawn

Next

Return to Technical