Split Rear Plastic Window, New Hood or Glass Conversion?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Split Rear Plastic Window, New Hood or Glass Conversion?

Postby Meriadoc » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:52 am

I was off work today so I spent the afternoon giving the car a good wash and wax. I also going to clean inside with "cockpit shine" and as I can?t stand the smell, I decided to lower the hood. A BIG mistake!!

As it was starting to get dark, it was cold. After unzipping the window as I was manoeuvring it to lie flat under the brace, the plastic split. See the pictures below.

So I need your advice.

I had intended to eventually have a glass window fitted but now is has become a major priority. I believe that the existing hood is original as the zip-pull has ?MX-5? embossed on it.

The two options I am considering are either getting a new heated glass window fitted (the car is already fitted with the connector and switch for the rear heated window) or a completely new hood with a glass window. So here are my questions, I hope you can help:

1. My car is fitted with a brace, as shown above, will I be able to lower a glass window so it lies on the parcel shelf?

2. Is the ?Mk1 Stayfast Mohair Hood with Glass Window?, from mx5part.co.uk, priced at ?498 any good? Does mohair smell? Is it easy to fit or would it be best to take it to a garage? http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/159

3. Is the ?Mk1 Vinyl Hood with Glass Window?, from mx5part.co.uk, priced at ?420.00 any good? Is it easy to fit or would it be best to take it to a garage? http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/157

4. Is the ?Glass Rear Window Conversion, Mk1?, from mx5part.co.uk, priced at ?235 any good? Is it easy to fit? Is my old hood up to supporting the weight of a glass screen? http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/171

5. Is there a garage located in the Edinburgh area that will fit a replacement hoods / rear windows? I would be willing to pay up to ?100 (not including cost of window) to have a new hood fitted. A little less for a replacement glass rear window.

Any advice on replacement hoods or rear window glass conversions would be useful.

Thanks,

Meriadoc.

-----------
BRG 1.8iS Mk1 1997
Meriadoc

Cracked plastic window

Postby Zoom Zoom » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:02 pm

I did the same a couple of years back, it was a cold day and I forgot to unzip the window - Down in went and 'Crack!'. I got a replacement glass window from Matt Developments (which I think is what mxparts are selling) and it fitted okay (took around 2-3hrs, it would have been a lot easier had we taken the seats out!). Much better than the plastic window, it unzips and squeezes past my rear brace bar okay. Other members will have more experience than me fitting replacement windows, and may be able to do it a lot quicker!
Zoom Zoom

Postby mgrays » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:19 pm

Look at the condition of the roof over the middle of the door closure.. this is where they crack after about 8 years (dependant on temp/useage). If the cracks are more than 2mm long the roof is going to die here in the next couple of years. Then it is down to cost and your expected life use of the car :cry:

I had a Matt Development rear glass window (unheated so it has the Citreon (ex 2CV) badge on it but is a little lighter) still hanging about my Aberdeen shed... this is harder on the zip but also sometimes the zips do not match (fairly rare) so there is a small risk. It will fit with virtually all brace/style bars and with Mk2 roll bars. I had to push it past my thicker chrome/SS brace bars but it fitted.

I have a Mk2 roof now - with non unzippable rear window - little smaller at the bottom of the glass but you do not notice in the mirror. Never have bother to build the timer for the heated rear window yet even if I have carried the relay 20,000 miles in the boot!

The unzippable window is nice for ease but on hot sunny days or showery days you just about miss the ability to drive with the rear window zipped out.

Fitting a roof is a a lot more hassle than just popping in a rear window.

So evaluate your current roof .. read the reviews on the net and take the plunge that meets your needs ... and be careful of the rain rain which will be brittle.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby mgrays » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:24 pm

PS.

I work in Aberdeen but spend most weekends in Edinburgh and down by Pencaitland - and will be down in Lauder no doubt walking about most Saturday .. and have this spare rear window that is well travelled if in AOK condition (I hand carrried it to Dubai!!! but never fitted it to my Miata)... so could do a deal if needed .. more fun than hanging about waiting for a horse :cry: Be next weekend now... as I am leaving now for Edinburgh.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Thanks for advice.

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:26 am

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's been really helpful. I've eventually decided to get just the replacement heated glass window fitted. After phoning around, I did get a few very reasonable quotes, I've arranged to get the window fitted by "Tees Trim Restoration Services". They had a Moss heated glass replace window in stock and I'll be able to visit relativies who live in Newcastle on the way north.

Thanks again for the advice.
Meriadoc

Windows Fitted

Postby Meriadoc » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:22 pm

I travelled down to Stockton today to get the window fitted. David did a great job, he's a fellow Mx-5 owner, driving a Mk1 1.6 eunos, with a very nifty yellow and silver colour scheme. Stopped by at Moss in Darlington on the way back and picked up a bottle of "Renovo Vinyl Hood Clear" it did a great job of tidying up my old hood. So my car is now looking very smart. :lol:

The rear glass conversion is a must, it has transformed the rear visibility, I can actually see where I am going when reversing.
:wink:
Meriadoc

Postby edddiec » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:42 pm

I'v just bought my mx5 so please excuse my ignorance!

I have a hood on my 1997 1.8SE. Its in ok condition at the moment. I would be interested in having a glass rear window.

Do you need to replace the whole roof or can just the window be replaced?
What kind of cost are we talking about?

My car has a large chrome brace bar, would this be a problem?

Lastly - I live in west central Scotland - anyone know of somewhere that does a good job near me?

cheers
edddiec :)
Mk1 Harvard SE
OC 013336
edddiec

Postby Meriadoc » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:18 am

Edddiec,

If it is the orginal hood, look for MX-5 embosed on the metal part of the zip pull. then you will be able to get just a replacement rear window.

You maybe unable to fit a glass replacement window because of the chrome bar. If you have to bend (a lot) the platic window to get it past the chrome bar so that it lays flat on the parcel shelf, then you maybe unable to fit a glass replacement window, without having to remove the chrome bar. I have the standard bar fitted and the new glass window is design to just squeeze past it.

As for fitting I paid ?240 fitted for a heated rear window. A good deal although I had to travel down to Stockton. I would however recommend the fitter David at "Tees Trim Restoration Service", friend guy, very quick and a good job.

01642 355 942

188 Durham Road
Stockton
Cleveland
TS19 0PX

However Stockton isn't very handy if you live on the west coast, although it's a good excuse to take the MX for a longish run.
Meriadoc

Return to Technical