How do you tell if a LSD is fitted?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

How do you tell if a LSD is fitted?

Postby secat187 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:56 pm

As the topic says. I know it was an option for 94 eunos models but I've no idea how to check for it.
secat187

Postby graeme » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:12 pm

There's some info here: http://www.fizzindi.demon.co.uk/lsd.htm
I've seen this question asked before and always wondered what the point of having one was if no-one knew how to tell they had one? Am I missing something? :?
graeme

Postby secat187 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:57 pm

It does seem really strange.

Some more info:

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MiataVLSD.html
secat187

Postby mgrays » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:30 pm

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultimate ... 1;t=028970

And also go look at Lance Schall's homepage where he shows preload on a Torsen LSD with weights.. very neat.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/242583/3 - 5th from the bottom.

I have a 94 Eunos with an LSD .. and bought one before I found I had one!! You can tell from the spec of Eunos if you go to the right page (cannot remember but there is a link on the uk site). The best way is to take the oil filler cap off and peer inside - if you see an open diff housing with torsen gears it is a Torsen Type 1 which would fit with your age .. if you see a closed cast diff housing it is a Open/std diff. The Type 2 Torsen is on Randy's site (solomiata) and seems to be less open in terms of seeing the torsen gears. I have photos if you want to get an idea what things look like!
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby DouglasH » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:07 pm

I know most say take the filler cap off and look inside, which is all very well if you have a friendly garage owner with a ramp, its bad enough trying to get the oil in never mind being able to contort your body under the car so that one of your eyes can peer into the hole.
Probably the best way to tell if you have an LSD is to spin one of the rear wheels with the car jacked up... If you have an open diff, the other rear wheel (not being spun) will spin in the opposite direction to the one your spinning (you have to spin it with some enthusiasm though). If it has an LSD, the wheels will both spin in the same direction.
DouglasH

Postby mgrays » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Doug,

Hate to say .... the jack up one wheel does not work on a Torsen ... see the links; the Torsen (so 1.8 cars) needs a little preload to lock up .. it is useless on ice (got one.. very frustrating!.. use the handbrake to jab some preload in to get it to lock is a trick that does a little good).

I suspect a bit of wild throttle on gravel will tell.. but best is managing to lay down some rubber on tarmac.. kind of expensive to fit the turbo to find out :wink: I can spit out two streams of molten rubber if I try (my first start at that Shale pit ring down Kilmarnock way with Dave as passenger) .. but that is irrelevant to this! The other thing is the inside wheel will light up and spin when trying to put power down out of a turn in the wet where the LSD spins both wheels so you get a rear slide more easily :lol:
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby DouglasH » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:11 pm

So great for doughnuts :D
I did mean jack up whole back end or both sides, did the earlier cars not just have the non torsen diff even though it was a optional extra.
DouglasH

Return to Technical