Handbrake, how easy is it to adjust?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Handbrake, how easy is it to adjust?

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:48 pm

I would like to adjust my handbrake as it's taking a lot of clicks to engage. It's probably a simple job, but I would like to ask how easy it is before I buy a hayes manual.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

P.
Meriadoc

Adjusting rear calipers.

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:07 pm

I did a seach and found this page: http://www.misterfixit.com/miatabrk.htm

It suggests that I need to adjust the rear calipers. Can anyone recommend the approach outlined on the webpage above.

Thanks.

P.
Meriadoc

Postby boydie » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:29 pm

Thats how I did mine :)
boydie

Postby stevieg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:29 am

Before you try that, you can adjust the cable tension, unscrew the plastic surround on the handbrake, there is a hexagonal adjuster screw, take the hand brake off and tighten the hex screw with a screw driver or socket, pull on the hand brake to test it should go up 5-7 clicks (loosen and tighten the hex until your happy).
MK2.5 S-VT Supreme (Midnight) Blue Mica
stevieg

Postby mgrays » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:28 pm

You are meant to adjust at the calipers .. and only adjust at the cables inside when fitting new cables.. guess this is to ensure dirty mechanic can easily back off the adjustment when changing the pads principally.. but it may also ensure levers etc are in the right place for maximum application of force.

Doing at the calipers is easy enough in the summer .. just a bit wet and horrible in the winter.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Hayes Manual

Postby Meriadoc » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:44 pm

I've ordered the Hayes Manual and MX5 owners manual from amazon, and will adjust the handbrake at the next oppertunity. Planning to do the simple servicing myself so the manuals should be useful, it also never hurts to be well informed.

I did think it would be better to adjust at the calipers, before I messed around with the tension on the cable.

Thanks for the advice.
Meriadoc

Return to Technical